CJohn

THE LAST JEDI (and Ferdinand) WEEKEND THREAD | JEDI 220m, FERDINAND 13.3m, COCO 10m (official estimates) | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SALE ON GOLD & PREMIUM ACCOUNTS IN FIRST POST

Okay, maybe I went a little overboard on the emoticons, but I just find it incredible that that theater is almost certainly going to sell out every got drat last one of its showings.  All of them seating over 110, a few seating over 225. Sure, it has the reputation for being one of the best theaters in town.  Still a complete sellout (if it got the super early showings as well)?

Star Wars... It's POWAH. :jeb!:

13 minutes ago, lancelot123 said:

Forgot about Carrie Fisher's death. That always seems to boost a movie's gross. As good as The Dark Knight was, Ledger's death was a huge contributing factor in it's run. Same with Furious 7. I still think that this has a strong chance to have amazing legs and pass TFA because of that alone. It helps that TLJ is a better movie too. 

IronJimbo is plotting the death of an Avatar actor as we speak

• Haha 9
  • Astonished 1

4 minutes ago, KeithF1138 said:

Think Moviepass will have any measurable effect? Our whole family got them in November. Two of used last night to go see TLJ a second time. May very well see it again tonight with Moviepass. Winter is dreary in Chicago. My sons and I intend to use Moviepass a many times to see TLJ.

Depends on how it's reported to the studio, no?

How is a Moviepass "ticket sale" reported anyway?

Selling strong at my usual theatre (aka the theatre of death). All the IMAX shows are filling out really nicely.

This doesn't help gauge the US gross at all as this is in NZ, but that's my contribution. You're all very welcome.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

Depends on how it's reported to the studio, no?

How is a Moviepass "ticket sale" reported anyway?

They are no different than any ticket sales for the studio, I think movie pass act as a regular credit card from a theater point of view (to the point that it was not easy for them to block it if they would have wanted).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Barnack said:

They are no different than any ticket sales for the studio, I think movie pass act as a regular credit card from a theater point of view (to the point that it was not easy for them to block it if they would have wanted).

Yeah, MP is essentially a debit MasterCard with a zero balance. Every time you “purchase” a movie on the app, the corresponding amount is deposited into your account and then debited at the theater when you pick up your ticket. 

• Like 1

We may not have Wonder Wheel Numbers yet, but I’d be shocked if it manages a 1k PTA. Its numbers have been dire so far, and with the terrible reviews, people finally taking Allen’s history seriously, and an onslaught of movies next weekend, we could be looking at Woody’s least attended film in his entire career.

16 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Okay, maybe I went a little overboard on the emoticons, but I just find it incredible that that theater is almost certainly going to sell out every got drat last one of its showings.  All of them seating over 110, a few seating over 225. Sure, it has the reputation for being one of the best theaters in town.  Still a complete sellout (if it got the super early showings as well)?

Star Wars... It's POWAH. :jeb!:

Glad to see you all pumped up dear Porthos :P;)

That's indeed a better-than-expected performance and when you like following box office it's definitely good to see :)

Edited by Fullbuster
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Shape of Pasta said:

We may not have Wonder Wheel Numbers yet, but I’d be shocked if it manages a 1k PTA. Its numbers have been dire so far, and with the terrible reviews, people finally taking Allen’s history seriously, and an onslaught of movies next weekend, we could be looking at Woody’s least attended film in his entire career.

It was heading clearly into that direction yes, would indeed be shocking if it reverse that trend, could be doing less than 2m

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

It was heading clearly into that direction yes, would indeed be shocking if it reverse that trend, could be doing less than 2m

Even 2m may be generous - there’s a 2:15pm show at my theatre - six minutes from now, and not a single ticket sold.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, The Shape of Pasta said:

Even 2m may be generous - there’s a 2:15pm show at my theatre - six minutes from now, and not a single ticket sold.

Stranger in the dark did 3,248,246 and is second weekend PTA was more than the double of WW with a smaller but still same ballpark theater count, could have an hard time even reaching 1.7m you are right.

There are so many Woody Allen movies that everyone thinks will be Oscar contenders and flop spectacularly. Remember Irrational Man? Magic in the Moonlight? Cafe Society (this one was doing ok for the first few weeks at least)? Moral of the story: Don't put Selena Gomez in your predictions next year!

Edited by WrathOfHan

Predictions for other winter movies:

Jumanji: 145

The Post: 130

Pitch Perfect: 110

Shape of Water: 75

Ferdinand: 60

Downsizing: 55

Lady Bird: 50

Greatest Showman: 45

Three Billboards: 45

Molly's Game: 40