CJohn

THE LAST JEDI (and Ferdinand) WEEKEND THREAD | JEDI 220m, FERDINAND 13.3m, COCO 10m (official estimates) | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SALE ON GOLD & PREMIUM ACCOUNTS IN FIRST POST

2 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

The IMDB comparison is really flawed. Force Awakens was still at 8.7 after a week of voting. Way Back Machine confirms that one. After a day of voting, it was probably even higher than that. It has now faced two years of scrutiny and is at 8.1 rating. Last Jedi is already at 8 and going to keep dropping as more people chime in. I think it will probably finish in the low 7's.

maybe, but I think TLJ is a different case than the norm. With every other movie it is the fanboys running online and inflating user reviews and then the normies getting around to watch it and they don't like it as much as the fanboys.

With TLJ it is the fanboys (and trolls) who are negative on it, so in this case it is possible the normies will actually "correct" the score over time that was skewed by jilted nerd rages. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jjack339 said:

maybe, but I think TLJ is a different case than the norm. With every other movie it is the fanboys running online and inflating user reviews and then the normies getting around to watch it and they don't like it as much as the fanboys.

With TLJ it is the fanboys (and trolls) who are negative on it, so in this case it is possible the normies will actually "correct" the score over time that was skewed by jilted nerd rages. 

To an extent, but the movie isn't perfect and there will be plenty more "less than rave" reviews coming in. Besides, a 7/10 average rating is still a good movie. Not like I'm predicting it to be rated the worst movie ever or something. It's already at 7.7/10 average rating. IMDB is throwing out a lot of the 1's in their formula, which brings it back up to 8/10.  

The flip side is there are a shitload of 10's for this movie from people who didn't even watch it yet, just as there were for Force Awakens and every other fanboy movie this early in the release cycle. 

Edited by redfirebird2008
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, jjack339 said:

There are not enough fanboys or trolls to buck the score long term.

51 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It's a film about the making of the worst movie of all time. How did that not scream "niche appeal?" It's done fine.

26% on RT clearly does not make it the worst movie of all time.

This is the most random thing you’ll read all day, but assuming JJ is a box office and Star Wars nerd like so many... Is it coincidence, could it really be coincidence, that in TFA the line from a First Order Stormtrooper when the Resistance is en route is: “Incoming at two-eight-point-six”?

I just happened to think this Thursday seeing TFA again. Really? 28.6? That’s the exact opening weekend figure for Titanic, which would unseat ANH and remain somewhat of a fanboy target forever. Either it’s totally random or a wink to fans like me who would know what that means lol.

Edited by JonathanLB

20 minutes ago, AndyK said:

and if they create an account to give a 10/10 rating?

Seems they are massaging the score to give a higher rating.

It applies to upvoters as well. Applies to all new accounts with not much votes.

1 minute ago, JonathanLB said:

This is the most random thing you’ll read all day, but assuming JJ is a box office and Star Wars nerd like so many... Is it coincidence, could it really be coincidence, that in TFA the line from a First Order Stormtrooper when the Resistance is en route is: “Incoming at two-eight-point-six”?

I just happened to think this Thursday seeing TFA again. Really? 28.6? That’s the exact opening weekend figure for Titanic, which would unseat ANH and remain somewhat of a fanboy target forever. Either it’s totally random or a wink to fans like me who would know what that means lol.

this is why i don't watch these movies 50+ times.

• Like 8

Seeing it tonight and so confused by the response so far.

So it's the most entertaining Star Wars movie ever but...wait, no, it's the most boring Star Wars movie ever. 

So it's the best written/directed Star Wars since Empire but...wait, no, there's bad green screen and childish humor left and right. 

So it wipes away the nostalgia and moves the franchise forward in daring and exciting ways but...wait, no, it's the same old same old and every twist is very predictable. 

I'm looking forward to deciding for myself but I'll be damned if I've ever seen such opposite reactions from so many people.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

:WHATanabe:

5 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

Maybe overthinking this one. :P

23 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

The IMDB comparison is really flawed. Force Awakens was still at 8.7 after a week of voting. Way Back Machine confirms that one. After a day of voting, it was probably even higher than that. It has now faced two years of scrutiny and is at 8.1 rating. Last Jedi is already at 8 and going to keep dropping as more people chime in. I think it will probably finish in the low 7's.

I'm pretty sure it will finish below 7.5 when all is said and done, the film's general reception is hard to measure, too many distracting factors. Though I think it's pretty safe to say that there's definitely a group of people who passionately hate this (and this goes far beyond just the alt-right trolls, they're not that powerful). This may or may not have any effect on repeat viewing, WOM and legs for general audiences, I guess we'll see.