CJohn

THE LAST JEDI (and Ferdinand) WEEKEND THREAD | JEDI 220m, FERDINAND 13.3m, COCO 10m (official estimates) | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SALE ON GOLD & PREMIUM ACCOUNTS IN FIRST POST

21 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I’m pretty sure Lion King will be the first opener over $250M but what’ll be the first movie with a $300M OW.

There is no way TLK does $250m ow...and it could be 20+ years before we see a $300m ow, if ever.

Infinity War will challenge TLJ for #2 all time ow though, but I don't think it matches TFA.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, FTF said:

There is no way TLK does $250m ow

I can see TLK opening higher than IX. It has a great cast including Beyoncé, 90’s nostalgia (The Lion King adjusts to about $800M DOM), and Disney paid critics (just a joke people but this’ll likely get good reviews).

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

The hype there is definitely real but I don't see that reaching a 86 MC score. Speaking of that though, Thanos did end up looking a bit darker on the big screen.

No Thanos Copter, No Sale. j1aUlyv.gif j1aUlyv.gif j1aUlyv.gif

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, FTF said:

There is no way TLK does $250m ow...and it could be 20+ years before we see a $300m ow, if ever.

Infinity War will challenge TLJ for #2 all time ow though, but I don't think it matches TFA.

20 years for $300m OW? That'll happen within 5 years. If BATB can hit almost $175 million then TLK can definitely hit $250 million (though I wouldn't bet on it).

20 years ago the OW record was less than $80 million. It's not going to stagnate between TFA and $300 million for 2 decades. 

• Like 1

So my guess is that either A.) Disney folds Blue Sky into DisneyToon and sells and divvy up Fox’s deals with Locksmith and Stoopid Buddy to other studios like Paramount, WB, Sony or even Lionsgate (ie, Paramount gets Locksmith, Lionsgate gets Stoopid Buddy, WB gets Blue Sky). B.) Disney sells Blue Sky, along with the deals of Fox’s other animated movies.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord

Huge OD for TLJ. What was the last pre-release OW estimate from trades? 210m? 

Disaster Artist  predictably fell on its face. It was just one of those movie that look much "bigger" in the internet echo chamber. I almost bought into the hype and thought this might carry enough to the mainstream to be a 40-50m mini-breakout but nope. Shape of Water's number also doesn't look impressive. The 2 award movies that are set for a very healthy run until February are Lady Bird and 3Billboards.

14 minutes ago, FTF said:

Yeah I dunno about TLK yet. It will be huge...how huge is the question.

The only thing I see challenging this until 2019 is IW. I see FK dropping off from JW.

• Like 1

The thing about TLK though....is there any real reason to rush out and see it? That's the thing I see holding it back from a $220-$250 style opening. Nostalgia is huge but even it has it's limits when we're talking about a remake where there aren't going to be many surprises (at least I'd guess).

Don't get me wrong though, it will definitely be huge. I just don't know about these really large numbers people are throwing around.

The Lion King at best plays like The Jungle Book. But Beauty & The Beast this year proved that anything could happen!

As for the debut of Star Wars, not bad considering it’s still rare for a film to make over $100 million OD. The film’s legs will be the most interesting as it is so far destroying Ferdninand, and should be interesting what lives or dies next weekend.