grim22

4-day Weekend Thread: 5-day numbers per BOM - TLJ 99.0M, J:WTTJ 55.4M, PP3 26.4M, TGS 14.4M, F 10.1M, C 8.2M, D 7.7M and an incredible $5,480,000 for Father Figures

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Around 2.5M

Yeah, that is kinda weak but I guess not too surprising (most people don't want to see something so downbeat on Christmas). Maybe it'll enjoy a decent increase today. Though at least it'll make a lot more than if they had kept Spacey in the movie.

Just now, filmlover said:

Yeah, that is kinda weak but I guess not too surprising (most people don't want to see something so downbeat on Christmas). Maybe it'll enjoy a decent increase today. Though at least it'll make a lot more than if they had kept Spacey in the movie.

I don't think an increase is coming; it's fucking DEAD at my theater today. The Downsizing starting now has 16 seats sold while the first show of Money in 20 minutes only has 3.

Edited by WrathOfHan

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Lmao. You were saying 8-9M :hahaha: It was never gonna open above Fences.

Gee, movie that appealed to ancient geezers like Tele does strong numbers in place where ancient geezers dwarf the entire population. Silly Han. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I doubt that since @EmpireCity said the number could be closer to 28  (dont know the exact page).

21 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

There is no joke.

Empire also said close to 28m so it is what it is.

Yes I know.

I'm just saying the only thing that saves it is if rth is fucking with us.

5 minutes ago, ThiagoMaia said:

I can't understand everybody now just shitting on The Last Jedi, as if it was a terrible movie. I can understand people not liking it for some reasons, even thought I loved it, but saying that i's actually bad? We're taking about the best reviewed big blockbuster since The Return of The King (metacritic), that is really saying something. I feel like just because the general wom doesn't seem great, that makes it a bad movie. You wouldn't do that to say: Manchester by The Sea, or Whiplash, just because they were not huge box office successes. Even Coco, which seems to be considered one of the best animations of all time is having relatively bad legs for animation this time of the year, and we don't just jump to attack it as being a piece of crap just because of that.

Deathly Hallows say Hi!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ThiagoMaia said:

I can't understand everybody now just shitting on The Last Jedi, as if it was a terrible movie. I can understand people not liking it for some reasons, even thought I loved it, but saying that i's actually bad? We're taking about the best reviewed big blockbuster since The Return of The King (metacritic), that is really saying something. I feel like just because the general wom doesn't seem great, that makes it a bad movie. You wouldn't do that to say: Manchester by The Sea, or Whiplash, just because they were not huge box office successes. Even Coco, which seems to be considered one of the best animations of all time is having relatively bad legs for animation this time of the year, and we don't just jump to attack it as being a piece of crap just because of that.

erm.....manchester by the sea and whiplash are purely original stand-alone film,  and their production budget difference and marketing scale was totally in a different universe.....

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

A less than 15% drop?  Only one sequel to a mega blockbuster ever dropped that little - Spider-Man 2 and it was a great movie, better that the first.  It also opened mid summer instead of May and benefited from school free days.

So much of legs with mega blockbusters is that the buzz of being so huge brings in an audience that would normally not go see the movie. A significant part of this audience doesn't return for the sequel be it for SW, Jurrassic Park, Jaws, Avengers or TDK.

TLJ is acting just like the other middle SW film - lesser legs - except it's opening while HUGE wasn't bigger because that's almost impossible. 

What Do you consider The Hunger Games, because Catching Fire increased from The Hunger Games, actually the only Sequel to increase from a first film that grossed more than 400 Mio $.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, ThiagoMaia said:

We're taking about the best reviewed big blockbuster since The Return of The King (metacritic), that is really saying something

And one of the worst on the audience metrics on metacritic and rotten tomatoes. On imdb I think it will stabilize to around 7.3 which is the same as ant-man.

I think the divide comes from this movie hitting all the right ideological checkboxes specifically for the critics to understand and applaud at,so they chose to ignore the glaring flaws of this movie.  And the fact that they're a huge hugbox. 

For example, Laura Dern was some kind of critique on "toxic masculinity". But this went over the head of everyone I knew they all hated her for not communicating properly. So the critics took a whiff and applauded, general audiences confused and angry. Many such moments in the movie.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Taruseth said:

What Do you consider The Hunger Games, because Catching Fire increased from The Hunger Games, actually the only Sequel to increase from a first film that grossed more than 400 Mio $.

TFA and JW are both sequels that made more than previous films in the series that themselves made over 400m

6 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Deathly Hallows say Hi!

Hmm, ok, I stand corrected. Still, it's right up there. The only other recent live action movie over 200m that has a higher metascore that I could find was Gravity. Other than that some Pixar's. Anyway, it's a huge score, usually only achieved by award movies. 

6 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

erm.....manchester by the sea and whiplash are purely original stand-alone film,  and their production budget difference and marketing scale was totally in a different universe.....

I know that, but my point is that they're good movies, we don't evaluate that by their box office total or legs. We might say that they have connected or not with GA based on that, what I was criticizing on my original post was the way that people are trying to look like they know everything about the problems the movie has just because it is having mediocre legs, and just acting like it's terrible, even though it has received great reviews. 

@ThiagoMaia Pointing out actual problems with TLJ (and yes, there are actual problems) is hardly shitting on the movie. It's simply that critics went considerably easier on problems, that they usually get hung up on, while some fans are not letting the movie off the hook and therefore are disagreeing with critics. IMO, there's a certain narrative about TLJ that boils down to "it didn't play it safe like TFA and therefore is automatically a better movie, warts be damned." And some fans disagree with this and deconstruct it point by point. It isn't about "my pet theory sunk" anymore (that factored only in early days backlash) but about actual problems that have nothing to do with wishful thinking and headcanons.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, lancelot123 said:

TFA and JW are both sequels that made more than previous films in the series that themselves made over 400m

You of course are right, I should have wrote it a bit different, because I meant direct sequels and TFA, JW are basically new starters, I don't really need to know what happened in the other films to understand those, which especially is true for JW.

That still would mean that there were movies that increased.