grim22

4-day Weekend Thread: 5-day numbers per BOM - TLJ 99.0M, J:WTTJ 55.4M, PP3 26.4M, TGS 14.4M, F 10.1M, C 8.2M, D 7.7M and an incredible $5,480,000 for Father Figures

the Downtown Disney theater in Anaheim CA right outside the Disneyland park has an IMAX that usually sells out Disney stuff.  Force Awakens was like, 2 weeks of IMAX sellouts in advance (seemed like).  TLJ is not doing it at this theater.  At other high priced locations, premiums are performing most impressively (tonight).  I am betting on a good 30 million today.  Because of the premiums today, I do not think it will gross more tomorrow, but maybe sell the more tickets.  I think it will hold flat with 30 on Tuesday. 

Edited by Matrix4You
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Matrix4You said:

the Downtown Disney theater in Anaheim CA right outside the Disneyland park has an IMAX that usually sells out Disney stuff.  Force Awakens was like, 2 weeks of IMAX sellouts in advance (seemed like).  TLJ is not doing it at this theater.  As other locations, premiums are performing most impressively.  I am betting on a good 30 million today.  Because of the premiums today, I do not think it will gross more tomorrow, but maybe sell the same amount of tickets.  I think it will hold flat with 30 on Tuesday. 

If it sells the same amount of tickets tomorrow, it’ll drop because tickets are discounted.

57 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

My gut says Saturday's # should be the goal for TLJ...if your area is selling better than Saturday and has as many or more showings as Saturday (and your area is indicative of the broader market), TLJ should be able to hit Saturday's # and maybe, MAYBE slightly exceed it by a mil or two.  (For the record, pretty much all my local theaters, not just the ones I track, have a few less showings today vs Saturday, either b/c of late starts or b/c of Money or b/c they felt like shifting a showing or two elsewhere)...

I don't see setting a much higher number than that TLJ Sat # without disappointment, unless there were reasons large parts of the country didn't go Saturday or unless tonight's late night shows catch fire...and Xmas shopping doesn't really sell me...although who knows?  Like someone said, they couldn't see why the 10pms and laters aren't selling as well for TLJ, maybe I can't see why shopping would be such a movie slayer:)...I mean, there's football both days, so that's a dead even swap...and the Eagles are awesomer, so maybe not so dead even:)...

Last minute shopping and traveling on Saturday. Airport was craziest I have ever seen. Had to park in a dirt/grass lot. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EmpireCity said:

Please don't make a scene of this.  The last thing we need is someone making a ridiculous choreographed fight taking out all of the meaning of the original scene.  

While it may be my "downfall" as a lifetime Star Wars fan, I am totally okay with acknowledging it.

I looooove the big, flashy fights. It's how Jedi should fight IMO, and I always thought this fight scene was a weakness in an otherwise awesome film.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, DAJK said:

While it may be my "downfall" as a lifetime Star Wars fan, I am totally okay with acknowledging it.

I looooove the big, flashy fights. It's how Jedi should fight IMO, and I always thought this fight scene was a weakness in an otherwise awesome film.

Well, then you are lost.

Edited by cannastop

13 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Couldn’t agree more. I can’t see how anyone was excited about lightsabers with that piece of shit fight in ANH. I just remind myself it is supposed to be that way - Obi Wan is old and so is Anakin. And Obi Wan is even worse. I love the OT but you have to have some low standards for fighting to be stoked about any of those saber duels. They’re emotionally significant and in that respect they’re fantastic but the actual fighting is garbage (ANH) to mediocre (ESB, ROTJ). It doesn’t lessen the moment and it serves the plot - they should be the way they are! Luke isn’t some highly trained Jedi and Anakin is old so of course the saber duels aren’t gonna be top notch. 

Edited by JonathanLB
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Well, then you are lost.

FROM MY POINT OF VIEW THE JEDI ARE EVIL :rotfl: 

fuckin hell Lucas

Just now, JonathanLB said:

Couldn’t agree more. I can’t see how anyone was excited about lightsabers with that piece of shit right in ANH. I just remind myself it is supposed to be that way - Obi Wan is old and so is Anakin. And Obi Wan is even worse. I love the OT but you have to have some low standards for fighting to be stoked about any of those saber duels. They’re emotionally significant and in that respect they’re fantastic but the actual fighting is garbage (ANH) to mediocre (ESB, ROTJ). It doesn’t lessen the moment and it serves the plot - they should be the way they are! Luke isn’t some highly trained Jedi and Anakin is old so of course the saber duels aren’t gonna be top notch. 

IMO the fights in Empire, and especially Jedi, are great regardless of the coreography. Because they have emotional weight behind them. Flashyness, while great, isn't EVERYTHING in a fight.

Thats why the lightsaber fight at the end in ATOC sucked because sure, while it was flashy, it had no emotional significance to it. Then there's the Obi-Wan and Vader fight. Not only did the coreography bore me, but the movie didn't do anything to tell me why this fight was emotionally significant. Sure, there's history between the characters, but all that was shown to us was what Obi-Wan told us about Vader earlier (he was a pupil of his blah blah), which gave it a little bit of an edge. But other than that, the dialogue in the fight was bad and did nothing to add to it, because a movie can't TELL you that you're supposed to care.

25 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Agree, those implicit meaning of the fight are making up later in the comic book and "interpreted" by fans to fit the clumpsyness of the fight, hardly a true intention of Lucas. 

7 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Agree, those implicit meaning of the fight are making up later in the comic book and "interpreted" by fans to fit the clumpsyness of the fight, hardly a true intention of Lucas. 

I think it would be better if they went full on samurai duel, a few strikes, then the lightsaber off.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Wonder is returning to my theater this weekend while Father Figures is getting slashed to two showings per day :rofl: 

They should have doing it now!!! If wonder were given enough screen ,it will surely outgross that father figure

• Like 1

Father Figures and Suburbicon are getting alot of sellouts in California.  It is expcted.  7-8pm showing on December 25th, 100 seat theater, 80%+ occupied 30 min ahead of time, multiple locations.  WHy Him? AC and Passengers were hitting lots of sellouts XMAS day, but ended up posting shitty numbers.  It is like one of those rare times each year where people usually go to the movies, so the XMAS day number for each particular movie might be deflated from a usual audience who are too busy playing video games and you get the broadest audience possible ages 1-100.