grim22

4-day Weekend Thread: 5-day numbers per BOM - TLJ 99.0M, J:WTTJ 55.4M, PP3 26.4M, TGS 14.4M, F 10.1M, C 8.2M, D 7.7M and an incredible $5,480,000 for Father Figures

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

It's pretty clear the only direction the Pitch Perfect series can go from here is doing a crossover with the Furious franchise. Who wouldn't want to hear Vin Diesel growl "Barden Bellas"?

They sort of tease a turn to the spy genre for the franchise. Unfortunately we will never see it.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, hw64 said:

Movie Y opened to $166m and made $330m in total, plus an extra $543m overseas for an $873m worldwide total. Movie Y was a hit!

In case you missed it, BvS made a 100M+ profit for WB. It was a financial hit from a neutral standpoint.

Bring in the bigger picture and BvS run was terrible and ruined the plan for the wider DC universe.

9 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

There is a huge doubt, but admittedly now that Disney is in control it is more complicated.  

Theater owners are not going to make conversions to 3D or a new technology to show Avatar sequels unless it is mind blowing and cheap.  

I imagine Cameron think about that, he is a visionary man, he knew theaters won't pay for something very expensive and not really impressive, so i think he's making something truly special.

And yes, even if it was expensive, with Disney in control things probably will be easier

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

In case you missed it, BvS made a 100M+ profit for WB. It was a financial hit from a neutral standpoint.

Bring in the bigger picture and BvS run was terrible and ruined the plan for the wider DC universe.

So you bring in the bigger picture for everything but The Last Jedi, right? Because bringing in the bigger for The Last Jedi tells us that while the movie is/will be financially successful, it's a disappointment compared to what it should have done in the wake of TFA ($1.5b or more).

2 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

People who think TFA isn’t well liked lol the movie had amazing legs and it’s imdb/RT audience scores have maintained high levels for 2 years now. Not only that but Rogue One likely overperformed due to a residual TFA effect and TLJ opened to $220m. The TFA haters are definitely a small minority. TLJ’s response is actually divided. 

The bigger issue for SW is they’re not breaking into any new markets (it’s doing terribly in SK and looks to do terribly in China). 

This might rub some people the wrong way, but I would take Star Wars failing to break through in places like China as a compliment of the quality of the film and not an indictment.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • ...wtf 1

Just now, hw64 said:

So you bring in the bigger picture for everything but The Last Jedi, right? Because bringing in the bigger for The Last Jedi tells us that while the movie is/will be financially successful, it's a disappointment compared to what it should have done in the wake of TFA ($1.5b or more).

Ffs, i said numerous times that TLJ's run is underwhelming. I expected it to do 700M DOM and it will likely come 50-75M short of that. You just read what you want to read or what?

All of that doesnt make 600M+ DOM not impressive.

Just now, EmpireCity said:

This might rub some people the wrong way, but I would take Star Wars failing to break through in places like China as a compliment of the quality of the film and not an indictment.  

And South Korea? They’re certainly no slouches in terms of cinephilia.. in fact their tastes are often better than the US imo. The Handmaiden made $31m there. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

People who think TFA isn’t well liked lol the movie had amazing legs and it’s imdb/RT audience scores have maintained high levels for 2 years now. Not only that but Rogue One likely overperformed due to a residual TFA effect and TLJ opened to $220m. The TFA haters are definitely a small minority. TLJ’s response is actually divided. 

The bigger issue for SW is they’re not breaking into any new markets (it’s doing terribly in SK and looks to do terribly in China). 

The TFA hater: now that's the epitome of a very small minority. At worst some complain about the similarity to ANH. Never really had any experience with someone who outright hates it in the way I've already seen the TLJ hate by many. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

You dont consider the Fast & Furious and Transformers series to be masterpieces? :sparta:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Wolf Warrior 2 > The Last Jedi

Fight me

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, hw64 said:

TESB drop 31% from ANH [counting the re-releases]

AOTC drop 31% from TPM [counting the re-release]

So the 32-35% drop TLJ will have is actually pretty in line with the historical of drops in 2nd movies of this franchise

Anyone who expects $ 1.5 - 1.6B was counting the movie to have much better drop than the whole franchise

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Lmao China is currently saving Coco from a disappointing run so. 

Sure, almost everyone was expecting this to finish below $ 150M domestic, it will finish with at least $ 210M being a movie with latin themes, terrible marketing and facing a lot of competition, but yeah, it's super disappointing

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

So the 32-35% drop TLJ will have is actually pretty in line with the historical of drops in 2nd movies of this franchise

Anyone who expects $ 1.5 - 1.6B was counting the movie to have much better drop than the whole franchise

I will say, i was one of those people. But like @Valonqar has also pointed out, the historical data of SW movies told us to expect this hefty drop from the get-go.

• Like 2

Just now, ThomasNicole said:

Jeah, but TESB was a controversial movie when it came out back in the day, and AOTC had mixed/bad WOM and came after TPM with also had mixed/bad WOM.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, McNerdy said:

Jeah, but TESB was a controversial movie when it came out back in the day, and AOTC had mixed/bad WOM and came after TPM with also had mixed/bad WOM.

But TLJ also prove to be a controversial movie... so i think it's a fair comparisson hahah

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

So does that mean Coco is bad film because it broke out in China?

10 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

The TFA hater: now that's the epitome of a very small minority. At worst some complain about the similarity to ANH. Never really had any experience with someone who outright hates it in the way I've already seen the TLJ hate by many. 

Retweet