grim22

4-day Weekend Thread: 5-day numbers per BOM - TLJ 99.0M, J:WTTJ 55.4M, PP3 26.4M, TGS 14.4M, F 10.1M, C 8.2M, D 7.7M and an incredible $5,480,000 for Father Figures

3 hours ago, Brainbug said:

I want to say one thing in general: There are no "false" opinions about any movie. Whether or not you liked/loved or disliked/hated The Last Jedi (or any other movie), the only opinion that should matter to you is your own. We can debate all day long about things like the script, plot structure, cinematography, performances or soundtracks - at the end of the day, everyone on the planet sees a movie with his/her own eyes. What is important to Person A could be a thing that Person B doesnt like, while Person C doesnt care about this specific thing at all and so on.

However, it should be clear, that we all stay civil about this. This forum continues to be an oasis of wisdom compared to the warzones that are YouTube, Twitter or other movie websites. We all feel very strongly about our own opinions and naturally have the instinct to explain to others why we think that way. And such discussions are needed and always bring new topics to the table as long as no one gets insulted or mocked because their opinion doesnt match another ones. I am positive that this place wont get nearly as bad as others, but some posts in the last few days have indicated that the debates get a little toxic sometimes (and yes, some of my own posts were also needlessly aggressive on a few occassions i believe. Ill be the first to admit wrong-doing.).

Keep up the great analysis guys and respect everybodys opinions :)

I agree with you and I hope I'm not being an ass with my post.  My predictions are wrong more now a-days than they are right.  But I have no problem admitting my mistakes.  My rant there has more to do with the notion that some people still cling to that there is a small minority of SW nerds living in their parents basement who are upset with this version of SW.  And that is not true and the numbers back me up.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Porthos said:

I only want to take issue with this, as everything else is a matter of personal taste.  I can't go into specifics, obviously, but I don't think the first line is fair at all.  I don't think they were taking the fanbase for granted for several reasons, nor do I think they thought of us as "Pavlov's dogs" trained to come running.

As for the bit about 'fan service', I would remind that Rian Johnson IS a hard core fan, as if just about everyone over at Lucasfilm right now.  I think he WAS trying to put in fanservice moments, though obviously I can't talk about them here.

It obviously didn't connect with you or others, and I'm truly sad about that.  But I think they wanted a film to resonate with the fans just as much as we do. They might have just misread things or had blind spots over certain areas.  All part and parcel of that "one never ever really knows" when making a movie.

Any way, that's all I really had to say about that.  Rest of the post I either agree with or will leave without comment. :)

Yep, I see where you are coming from.  I acknowledge that there are MANY that do like the film.  But I do feel this was made more for Rian Johnson than it was for most Star Wars fans.  

3 hours ago, Galupp said:

How the mods allowed such an ignorant racist like Empire to continue posting is fucking beyond me.

Where has Empire been racist?  He has a very forward personality, but that doesn’t equate at all to racism.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Christmas baumer said:

Christmas Day is one of the three busiest days of the year for movies.  Most films in the top increased north of 100% and every hold over increase more than TLJ (in the top ten).  If there was going to be a day where TLJ was going to prove your theory it was yesterday.  It crashed and burned.  The rest of the week won't be any different.  At this point, 700 is dead, Titanic is not looking catchable and if the numbers keep diving then even 625 might be too high.

You could be right about its box office at the end of it's run, I just disagree at the moment, it still has plenty of time to have strong holds, I like to be careful with predictions, I don't care what it does, either way, we have seen stranger things at the box office Eragon 2006 was a weird one, and it fell in the same calendar configuration. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

I mean the 3 Day 2nd weekend drop may be negotiable but the Xmas day number speaks for itself. The 4 day being lower than RO is not great. 

Just a small difference, but The Last Jedi's 99M 4-Day stands 3M above Rogue Ones 96M 4-Day.

3 hours ago, The Last Panda said:

Where has Empire been racist?  He has a very forward personality, but that doesn’t equate at all to racism.

I agree.  I don't like all the stuff he says but he's never said anything racist.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NoLegMan said:

You could be right about its box office at the end of it's run, I just disagree at the moment, it still has plenty of time to have strong holds, I like to be careful with predictions, I don't care what it does, either way, we have seen stranger things at the box office Eragon 2006 was a weird one, and it fell in the same calendar configuration. 

But how is it going to recover?  I agree that the first week of January could give it some good numbers because many schools are still out, but they won't be enough to get it a three multiplier.  I don't it will.  And that makes it very disappointing in my eyes.

3 minutes ago, Christmas baumer said:

But how is it going to recover?  I agree that the first week of January could give it some good numbers because many schools are still out, but they won't be enough to get it a three multiplier.  I don't it will.  And that makes it very disappointing in my eyes.

Empire hinted earlier that the Tuesday numbers could surprise us. Now, that could mean anything really, both positive and negative :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Christmas baumer said:

I think if it has strong holds this week and a really solid weekend hold, it could end close to 700mill, if it has an awful Tuesday I would say it probably won't, I predicted this movie would have 650million domestically. which in my views Disney will consider a major success for a SW sequel. 

10 minutes ago, Christmas baumer said:

But I do feel this was made more for Rian Johnson than it was for most Star Wars fans.  

Can't really disagree with that, but where I think the ball was dropped, if one even wants to say it was dropped, was that a LOT of people over at LFL loved it as well.

That's what I meant about 'blind spot'.  Collectively, for whatever reason, they didn't see this level of controversy coming.  If they had seen it coming, perhaps they could have intervened.

I might feel differently if they hadn't greenlit a new trilogy from him (though supposedly he is only directing the first one) AND they hadn't spent the last year hyping this up to the moon.  Then it might just have been "Let Rian do his thing and then we'll do something different."

Instead, to me at least, it seems the folks over at LFL drunk the Kool-aid in regards to this film. Hence the neutralish term: Blind spot.

Ah well.  No one ever said the entertainment industry was perfect when it came to judging the impact of their own works. :lol:

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

That's what I meant about 'blind spot'.  Collectively, for whatever reason, they didn't see this level of controversy coming.

FWIW, some of the capsule reviews that dropped on Twitter of the "Art of The Last Jedi" book hint that TPTB @ LFL knew full well that this film would be controversial/divisive.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Christmas baumer said:

Christmas Day is one of the three busiest days of the year for movies.  Most films in the top increased north of 100% and every hold over increase more than TLJ (in the top ten).  If there was going to be a day where TLJ was going to prove your theory it was yesterday.  It crashed and burned.  The rest of the week won't be any different.  At this point, 700 is dead, Titanic is not looking catchable and if the numbers keep diving then even 625 might be too high.

Sad but true. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Christmas baumer said:

Fan service is not a bad thing.  Some people make it out to be.  But we the fans are what fuels this series.  We the fans (at least in NA) spend more money on this franchise than any franchise in the history of film, so why would you make a film simply for yourself and not for us?  That makes no fucking sense at all whatsoever.

source.gif