grim22

4-day Weekend Thread: 5-day numbers per BOM - TLJ 99.0M, J:WTTJ 55.4M, PP3 26.4M, TGS 14.4M, F 10.1M, C 8.2M, D 7.7M and an incredible $5,480,000 for Father Figures

5 minutes ago, Sand-omJC said:

I'm still waiting for the mixed WOM on this board to show up in the RTM thread. 

Thats one thing i found interesting: The overwhelming majority of grades in TLJ's RTM thread are A's, but reading the forums one could assume half the people here hate it.

• Like 3

I worked all day today...boxing day sales make people crazy.  I was an hour and 45 minutes late getting back to the garage tonight (I drive bus for the city for those who don't know) because the malls were fucking packed with idiots after cheap TVs and I-phones.  Fuck I hate consumerism sometimes.

So this is my first time in 2 days I've been able to type something out not using my phone, so forgive me if this is long winded.

Star Wars is obviously and unequivocally suffering from back lash.  This is not the Star Wars many people wanted to see and the numbers are proving it.  i don't care if 600 million is a good number.  With it opening to 220 million, it should have cleared 700 without breaking a sweat.  A 55% CD bump when when 6 other films in the top ten increased by more than 100%, is horrible.  And it has the worst increase in the top ten.  There's no getting around this.  There are many people who are massively disappointed in the movie and it's not just a bunch of loser Star Wars nerds.  If you want to call me and @filmnerdjamie and @Jay Hollywood loser Star Wars nerds, then I think you are barking up the wrong tree.

Someone mentioned that Clones fell sharply from Menace.  The difference is Menace was not as well received as TFA was and Clones still had a 3.77 multiplier coming off one of the biggest opening weekends of all time at that point.

Someone also mentioned that Christmas time is more of a time for films to spread their grosses around because of the shopping and the parties and the family stuff and all that bullshit.  We've already covered that if the film has enough spark to it, it will be the fire that brings the December crowds out.  TFA did it and so did R1.  This one is keeping the crowds at home.  After opening to 220 million, it's second weekend isn't going to even double Jumanji's OW and then to make it even more telling, Jumanji has a CD that is only 8 million less than TLJ.  

I don't know how you look at this any other way.  The film has left many disappointed and the wom is keeping people away.  You can't blame the calendar or Christmas day or the northern lights or aliens or Bigfoot.  After opening to 220 million, it has disappointed every day since.  

The problem is this film took too many risks and in the process it alienated the fans who have been making Lucasfilm billions of dollars over the last 40 years.  I hate that I disliked a SW film.  I didn't think it was possible....didn't think I would ever be able to watch a SW film and truly not only not love it but not even like it all that much.

It's not that making 600 million and say 1.3 billion world wide is bad, it's obviously not.  It's that it should have made much more if it was anywhere as liked as the last one.  

Do I think Rian Johnson is going to be fired from his SW trilogy?  Nope.

Do I think Disney is upset with the film he made?  Nope.

Do I think this film is horrible?  Nope.

But...

Do I think JJ is coming on board to get things back on track?  Abso-fucking-lutely!

Do I think Disney is going to pay attention to the hundreds of millions of dollars that were left on the table?    Abso-fucking-lutely!

Do I think this movie should have and could have been so much better?  Abso-fucking-lutely!

Do I think they got a little too cute and a little too cocky and just figured they could make any bullshit fucking film and we'd all come running like Pavlov's dogs at the dinner bell?  Fuckin A I do.

Fan service is not a bad thing.  Some people make it out to be.  But we the fans are what fuels this series.  We the fans (at least in NA) spend more money on this franchise than any franchise in the history of film, so why would you make a film simply for yourself and not for us?  That makes no fucking sense at all whatsoever.

And to those of you who are thumping their chests saying that you knew it would only 600 and so on, keep in mind, when the opening weekend number came out, none of you were anywhere to be found.  But then when the weekday numbers came in, like cockroaches scattering in the light, you all came out in full force.  So you didn't call it at all.  Because the film defied all of your expectations and had the second highest opening weekend of all time and with a normal shitty December multiplier, this would have made 700 with ease. 

So do I think they need to fix some of what they messed up?  Abso-fucking-lutely!

As I've mentioned before...the first time I saw it I borderline hated it.

The second time I liked it more and tried to convince myself that it was a good film.

The third time I saw I realized that all the things I disliked the first time were still there the third time.  

So for me, I need my Star Wars back.  Those of you who liked or loved it, I'm happy for you.  Honestly.  I'm glad you got something out of it.  But for guys like filmnerdjamie and Jay Hollywood and me, #notmystarwars.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

4 minutes ago, Christmas baumer said:

I worked all day today...boxing day sales make people crazy.  I was an hour and 45 minutes late getting back to the garage tonight (I drive bus for the city for those who don't know) because the malls were fucking packed with idiots after cheap TVs and I-phones.  Fuck I hate consumerism sometimes.

So this is my first time in 2 days I've been able to type something out not using my phone, so forgive me if this is long winded.

Star Wars is obviously and unequivocally suffering from back lash.  This is the Star Wars many people wanted to see and the numbers are proving it.  i don't care if 600 million is a good number.  With it opening to 220 million, it should have cleared 700 without breaking a sweat.  A 55% CD bump when when 6 other films in the top ten increased by more than 100%, is horrible.  And it has the worst increase in the top ten.  There's no getting around this.  There are many people who are massively disappointed in the movie and it's not just a bunch of loser Star Wars nerds.  If you want to call me and @filmnerdjamie and @Jay Hollywood loser Star Wars nerds, then I think you are barking up the wrong tree.

Someone mentioned that Clones fell sharply from Menace.  The difference is Menace was not as well received as TFA was and Clones still had a 3.77 multiplier coming off one of the biggest opening weekends of all time at that point.

Someone also mentioned that Christmas time is more of a time for films to spread their grosses around because of the shopping and the parties and the family stuff and all that bullshit.  We've already covered that if the film has enough spark to it, it will be the fire that brings the December crowds out.  TFA did it and so did R1.  This one is keeping the crowds at home.  After opening to 220 million, it's second weekend is going to even double Jumanji's OW and then to make it even more telling, Jumanji has a CD that is only 8 million less than TLJ.  

I don't know how you look at this any other way.  The film has left many disappointed and the wom is keeping people away.  You can't blame the calendar or Christmas day or the northern lights or aliens or Bigfoot.  After opening to 220 million, it has disappointed every day since.  

The problem is this film took too many risks and in the process it alienated the fans who have been making Lucasfilm billions of dollars over the last 40 years.  I hate that I disliked a SW film.  I didn't think it was possible....didn't think I would ever be able to watch a SW film and truly not only not love it but not even like it all that much.

It's not that making 600 million and say 1.3 billion world wide is bad, it's obviously not.  It's that it should have made much more if it was anywhere as liked as the last one.  

But...

Do I think JJ is coming on board to get things back on track?  Abso-fucking-lutely!

Do I think Disney is going to pay attention to the hundreds of millions of dollars that were left on the table?    Abso-fucking-lutely!

Do I think this movie should have and could have been so much better?  Abso-fucking-lutely!

Do I think they got a little too cute and a little too cocky and just figured they could make any bullshit fucking film and we'd all come running like Pavlov's dogs at the dinner bell?  Fuckin A I do.

Fan service is not a bad thing.  Some people make it out to be.  But we the fans are what fuels this series.  We the fans (at least in NA) spend more money on this franchise than any franchise in the history of film, so why would you make a film simply for yourself and not for us?  That makes no fucking sense at all whatsoever.

So do I think they need to fix some of what they messed up?  Abso-fucking-lutely!

The second time I liked it more and tried to convince myself that it was a good film.

The third time I saw I realized that all the things I disliked the first time were still there the third time.  

So for me, I need my Star Wars back.  Those of you who liked or loved it, I'm happy for you.  Honestly.  I'm glad you got something out of it.  But for guys like filmnerdjamie and Jay Hollywood and me, #notmystarwars.

Michael Fassbender Perfection GIF

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

@Christmas baumer Days like the last couple make me really happy to live no where close to town or a city (60 miles to the closest "big" city). No stores and no shops means that there is little in the way of the consumerism crap to put up with. Once I left working retail I promised I wouldn't partake in that ever again. Hopefully the rest of your week is better :)

• Like 1

I think some folks on this thread are coming to a conclusion on TLJ when the Jury is still out on how well this movie will end up performing. All major analyst have warned and warned about this films calendar configuration. Can we at least get to Jan before we think we know the way this narrative ends?  this time of the year can be hard to predict. 

9 minutes ago, Christmas baumer said:

More and more people are going back in theater to rewatch TLJ, more signs of good WOM?

:insane:

7 minutes ago, Christmas baumer said:

Star Wars is obviously and unequivocally suffering from back lash.  This is the Star Wars many people wanted to see and the numbers are proving it.  i don't care if 600 million is a good number.  With it opening to 220 million, it should have cleared 700 without breaking a sweat.  A 55% CD bump when when 6 other films in the top ten increased by more than 100%, is horrible.  And it has the worst increase in the top ten.  There's no getting around this.  There are many people who are massively disappointed in the movie and it's not just a bunch of loser Star Wars nerds.  If you want to call me and @filmnerdjamie and @Jay Hollywood loser Star Wars nerds, then I think you are barking up the wrong tree.

Someone also mentioned that Christmas time is more of a time for films to spread their grosses around because of the shopping and the parties and the family stuff and all that bullshit.  We've already covered that if the film has enough spark to it, it will be the fire that brings the December crowds out.  TFA did it and so did R1.  This one is keeping the crowds at home.  After opening to 220 million, it's second weekend is going to even double Jumanji's OW and then to make it even more telling, Jumanji has a CD that is only 8 million less than TLJ.  

But...

tenor.gif?itemid=7965371

tenor.gif?itemid=5089552

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, NoLegMan said:

I think some folks on this thread are coming to a conclusion on TLJ when the Jury is still out on how well this movie will end up performing. All major analyst have warned and warned about this films calendar configuration. Can we at least get to Jan before we think we know the way this narrative ends?  this time of the year can be hard to predict. 

There's enough data for us to extrapolate.  We have 11 days of numbers.  All you have to do is take Rogue One for comparison and you can pretty come up with where it will end.  It's time for the Jedi to end.  

• Sad 2

I have been watching so many CW superhero shows lately I might turn into iJack and start calling #NotMyDCEU to whatever Warner Bros. is doing with their superheroes tbh.

Stephen Amell, Grant Gustin and Melissa Benoist > Ben Affleck, Ezra Miller and Henry Cavill

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, MrGlass2 said:

More and more people are going back in theater to rewatch TLJ, more signs of good WOM?

:insane:

SW is a film that I had to see three times to see where my head was at.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Christmas baumer said:

SW is a film that I had to see three times to see where my head was at.

TLJ is definitely a film that requires more then one viewing. There's a lot going on in it. Even with my schedule, I still want to see it a second time myself.

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Christmas baumer said:

There's enough data for us to extrapolate.  We have 11 days of numbers.  All you have to do is take Rogue One for comparison and you can pretty come up with where it will end.  It's time for the Jedi to end.  

11 days is enough to make a prediction, but it could easily overperform this week, keep in mind kids are out of school now, and this weekend doesn't fall on Christmas Eve. I'm just suggesting being careful with narrative building especially when it's the point of the year when weekdays perform like a Saturday.

Baumer, I agree! I think the first scene of the movie jarred me. After that scene, there were other things that seemed inconsistent and uneven, like the portrayal of Snoke. That is why I posted on the LJ thread on OW that I understand why some did not enjoy it. I think the movie’s box office is fine, but there would be  hundreds of millions left on the table, should this movie gross ~1.3 billion. It would be pie in the sky for any other franchise not named SW. Unfortunately for me, my 2017 movie fandom ended on a bit of a sour note. JL disappointed in a big way, although its box office would also be fine for most other movies. SW looks to be a slight disappointment, but at least it has great pedigree and nostalgia going for it, so it will recover should this turn out to be a somewhat disappointing performance.

Clarification: first scene meant to refer to Luke’s first scene.

Edited by Ms Lady Hawk
  • Like 1

I want to say one thing in general: There are no "false" opinions about any movie. Whether or not you liked/loved or disliked/hated The Last Jedi (or any other movie), the only opinion that should matter to you is your own. We can debate all day long about things like the script, plot structure, cinematography, performances or soundtracks - at the end of the day, everyone on the planet sees a movie with his/her own eyes. What is important to Person A could be a thing that Person B doesnt like, while Person C doesnt care about this specific thing at all and so on.

However, it should be clear, that we all stay civil about this. This forum continues to be an oasis of wisdom compared to the warzones that are YouTube, Twitter or other movie websites. We all feel very strongly about our own opinions and naturally have the instinct to explain to others why we think that way. And such discussions are needed and always bring new topics to the table as long as no one gets insulted or mocked because their opinion doesnt match another ones. I am positive that this place wont get nearly as bad as others, but some posts in the last few days have indicated that the debates get a little toxic sometimes (and yes, some of my own posts were also needlessly aggressive on a few occassions i believe. Ill be the first to admit wrong-doing.).

Keep up the great analysis guys and respect everybodys opinions :)

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NoLegMan said:

11 days is enough to make a prediction, but it could easily overperform this week, keep in mind kids are out of school now, and this weekend doesn't fall on Christmas Eve. I'm just suggesting being careful with narrative building especially when it's the point of the year when weekdays perform like a Saturday.

:hahaha:join the rest of us in reality bro - we went through this Denial and Bargaining stage last week already. It was done the moment it failed to recover from the normal Monday fall and the weak-ass Christmas increase sealed the deal.

3 hours ago, NoLegMan said:

Christmas Day is one of the three busiest days of the year for movies.  Most films in the top increased north of 100% and every hold over increase more than TLJ (in the top ten).  If there was going to be a day where TLJ was going to prove your theory it was yesterday.  It crashed and burned.  The rest of the week won't be any different.  At this point, 700 is dead, Titanic is not looking catchable and if the numbers keep diving then even 625 might be too high.

• Sad 3

26 minutes ago, Christmas baumer said:

I only want to take issue with this, as everything else is a matter of personal taste.  I can't go into specifics, obviously, but I don't think the first line is fair at all.  I don't think they were taking the fanbase for granted for several reasons, nor do I think they thought of us as "Pavlov's dogs" trained to come running.

As for the bit about 'fan service', I would remind that Rian Johnson IS a hard core fan, as is just about everyone over at Lucasfilm right now.  I think he WAS trying to put in fanservice moments, though obviously I can't talk about them here.

It obviously didn't connect with you or others, and I'm truly sad about that.  But I think they wanted a film to resonate with the fans just as much as we do. They might have just misread things or had blind spots over certain areas.  All part and parcel of that "one never ever really knows" when making a movie.

Any way, that's all I really had to say about that.  Rest of the post I either agree with or will leave without comment. :)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 6