DeeCee

Thursday Numbers (Asgard): TLJ $19.5 J $15m

Just now, Fancyarcher said:

I expected Jumanji to do well. Just not as well as it's doing right now. Definitely one of the box office surprises / stories of the year. 

I expected that NATM could happen in an absolute best case scenario, but that’s still a solid 50m below what it might do now! It will definitely be a movie that absolutely no one here or any box office analyst I’m aware of predicted 300 if it makes it.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, a2knet said:

yes, but still 2nd in shock value this year, behind IT.

Nah, IT was showing every sign of 300+ in the weeks leading up to release. I was a naysayer of it for months when people were talking about 200+ all through the summer, and even I realized by August it was going to blow past that mark.

1 minute ago, suibhnegeilt said:

I see this thought all over the place, but wasn't the prequel trilogy fairly conventional as far as blockbusters go? I know that TPM did very well, but the hype was far greater than the results--and I always assumed it was Lucas's demands on theaters that padded its final gross (it was required to be on summer screens for a long amount of time). But Clones and Sith were not these extraordinary performances. Clones was the third highest grossing film of 2002. Sith did better, but was #1 in a relatively weak year (2005). The following year it would have been easily bested by Pirates 2, and the previous year it would have been easily bested by Shrek 2

Furthermore, none of these films ever made it to that "pop culture legend" status that other films of the time did. Lord of the Rings was far more impactful. Potter too. The Matrix made a much bigger impact than TPM did in 1999.

In other words, Star Wars already went back down to "conventional" blockbuster status with the three prequels. Force Awakens returned it to phenomenon status. Last Jedi could have easily fallen back to conventional status, but it clearly hasn't happened.

I think you are mixing two very different things there. Matrix stealing a bit of TPM's thunder in terms of WOM or special effects awards isn't the same as TPM being a conventional blockbuster in terms of box office. Some people seem to miss how huge that movie actually was. Attendence-wise that movie is estimated to be in the 85m range, which is quite a bit ahead of Avatar, Dark Knight, Jurassic World or The Avengers.

TFA may have been a bit bigger than TPM, but the effect is basically the same, the first movie of the trilogy was of enormous size. The sequels drop from that.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

I expected that NATM could happen in an absolute best case scenario, but that’s still a solid 50m below what it might do now! It will definitely be a movie that absolutely no one here or any box office analyst I’m aware of predicted 300 if it makes it.

Nope. Most major box office predictions had it doing around 170m on average or something. It's going to blow past that pretty easily, which is crazy.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, the beast said:

I dont think nearly anyone saw $200m+ a few months ago for Jumanji let alone $300m+

I was one of the first people who said $200M+, but I never expected $300M+.

23 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Jumanji will easily be one of the most shocking 300 grossers of all time if it gets there. Probably even ahead of the likes of Deadpool, Alice, and American Sniper.

Okay, let's stop it with the overreactions. Jumanji grossing 300M is not more shocking than American Sniper or Deadpool reaching that mark.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, suibhnegeilt said:

I see this thought all over the place, but wasn't the prequel trilogy fairly conventional as far as blockbusters go? I know that TPM did very well, but the hype was far greater than the results--and I always assumed it was Lucas's demands on theaters that padded its final gross (it was required to be on summer screens for a long amount of time). But Clones and Sith were not these extraordinary performances. Clones was the third highest grossing film of 2002. Sith did better, but was #1 in a relatively weak year (2005). The following year it would have been easily bested by Pirates 2, and the previous year it would have been easily bested by Shrek 2

Furthermore, none of these films ever made it to that "pop culture legend" status that other films of the time did. Lord of the Rings was far more impactful. Potter too. The Matrix made a much bigger impact than TPM did in 1999.

In other words, Star Wars already went back down to "conventional" blockbuster status with the three prequels. Force Awakens returned it to phenomenon status. Last Jedi could have easily fallen back to conventional status, but it clearly hasn't happened.

Phantom menace was still in phenomenon status, it was the second biggest unadjusted WW movie ever, only between Titanic (in 10 year's after it was clear that being behind Ttanic meant nothing).

And it was the second biggest of all time behind Titanic also domestic unadjusted (and well Star wars itself with is many re-release).

TPM had the biggest first day of all time, fastest to 100m, fastest to 200m, and many other box office records.

But that movie was definetly the last special one box office wise of the prequels, Attack of the Clones did normal blockbuster and Sith normal best of the year type of performance, still made some records that didn't last long, was number one domestic but not worldwide, etc....

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Jumanji will easily be one of the most shocking 300 grossers of all time if it gets there. Probably even ahead of the likes of Deadpool, Alice, and American Sniper.

It is a 4 quadrant popular movie remake (or what they call redoing the same plot with new people but hiding the word remake/reboot from audience these days using a couple irrelevant to the plot items, like they did with Jurassic World), that was really well positioned market wise with is release date and competition.

We were "warned" on this very forum by users whose words are to take seriously too not be surprised to see a Night of the Museum type of runs just by the fact it was a giant family movie with that release date, before the good reviews were even in. 

It is a surprising for sure, but more surprising than Sniper before it's record PTA news first 4 theater weekend ? Or deadpool 2 week before it's release ?

People still saw a possible 200m for Jumanji and predictions were around 150m in general, I doubt that was the case for American Sniper.

35 minutes ago, the beast said:

I dont think nearly anyone saw $200m+ a few months ago for Jumanji let alone $300m+

I remember talks of the possibility of a Night at the Museum performance (250m, adjust at 330m) on this message board by someone a good while ago, because that was the most comparable run for a family/adventure movie having the same holidays calendar advangates.

Edited by Barnack