grim22

New Year's Day Weekend Thread: Late Friday estimates (DHD) - TLJ 19.5M, Jumanji 17.5M, PP3 6.7M, TGS 5.3M

28 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I almost have to wonder if Disney did realize TLJ was going to be divisive and just tried to divert with all the pre-release comments about how incredibly pleased and assured they were in it. Maybe that’s the real reason for Trevorrows axing and bringing back Abrams. They knew they were going to need another crowd pleaser like TFA after this movie.

I really can't see that. So they knew that this was going to be divisive and that they needed Abrams to come back to deliver a crowd pleaser, yet they went out and handed an entire trilogy to the guy responsible for the divisive movie? That makes no sense.

Yes, they probably did know that this movie would be more divisive, that's basically a given whenever you try something instead of playing it save. But there is no connection from there to feeling the need to hire Abrams to get a crowd pleaser. They hired Abrams because he did deliver an almost universally liked (though not necessarily loved) movie, and because Johnson didn't want to do IX at that point. That's basically it, they took the one guy they knew who could deliver. They didn't fire Trevorrow because of how divisive TLJ was going to be, nor were they desperate to get Abrams back because of TLJ either.

3 minutes ago, George Parr said:

I really can't see that. So they knew that this was going to be divisive and that they needed Abrams to come back to deliver a crowd pleaser, yet they went out and handed an entire trilogy to the guy responsible for the divisive movie? That makes no sense.

Yes, they probably did know that this movie would be more divisive, that's basically a given whenever you try something instead of playing it save. But there is no connection from there to feeling the need to hire Abrams to get a crowd pleaser. They hired Abrams because he did deliver an almost universally liked (though not necessarily loved) movie, and because Johnson didn't want to do IX at that point. That's basically it, they took the one guy they knew who could deliver. They didn't fire Trevorrow because of how divisive TLJ was going to be, nor were they desperate to get Abrams back because of TLJ either.

I agree with your post in general, but why then did Treverrow get fired? Yes, they knew that Abrams delivered a crowdpleaser but there has to be more to it than that. It had to be a conscious choice to go back to being safe.

2 minutes ago, ReyReyBattery said:

I'm baffled they picked Trevorrow in the first place. I imagine someone must have come to their senses about that particular decision.

trevorrow actually left voluntarily. someone asked him "what if henry wrote other books before he died?" and he was like "holy shit put star wars on hold"

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, JB33 said:

I agree with your post in general, but why then did Treverrow get fired? Yes, they knew that Abrams delivered a crowdpleaser but there has to be more to it than that. It had to be a conscious choice to go back to being safe.

I don't see why. They fired Trevorrow, then they looked for someone to replace him. Johnson wouldn't do it, and they knew that Abrams could deliver, so they just took what was the obvious choice. They already had problems with basically every other director, apart from Johnson, so they probably didn't want to pick someone new and have it turn into chaos again. The movie was supposed to start production pretty soon after all.

Trevorrow likely got fired over work issues. We won't know for sure, maybe he couldn't deliver a new script once his original idea that focused heavily on Leia wasn't possible anymore, or he just wasn't good to work with. They certainly weren't going to fire Trevorrow over TLJ, after all, he directed Jurassic World, which was a huge success and a crowd pleaser. There just isn't anything that connects the Trevorrow getting fired to a desperate need to have Abrams back to deliver a crowd pleaser because TLJ would be too divisive.

Edited by George Parr
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I log on today and see that now Episode 9 is being predicted under $450m domestic.  

Lol.  Keep up the good work.  

More intelligent than standing by the "internet star wars fanboys are sabotaging this movie" theory and mocking those that saw there was an issue during the first week. I mean, you're the expert and you were scoffing at the notion that WOM was mixed. Now look. The movie actually DROPPED on Friday. Dropped. Explain that one away.

Edited by JB33
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I see a lot of bad opinions here and want to answer to some of them, but then i realize that im on a Box office forum talking about the earnings of a movie about space wizards grossing 100M less than expected.

That is like the textbook definition of a First-World-Problem.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, ReyReyBattery said:

I'm baffled they picked Trevorrow in the first place. I imagine someone must have come to their senses about that particular decision.

I imagine Frank Marshall went Kathleen Kennedy and said you know the guy that directed the movie I produced also made over 1 billion dollars

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ReyReyBattery said:

Lets hope they also come to their senses before the Johnson trilogy begins. 

1 hour ago, grey ghost said:

You do realize there are multiple characters connected to the Skywalker Saga .

Hide contents

C-3PO, Leia, R2-D2, Chewbacca, Lando, the millennium falcon, Kylo Ren, Yoda, etc.

Any of these names ring a bell?

Cause SW9 will be their last appearance in history.

Yeah right 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, JB33 said:

More intelligent than standing by the "internet star wars fanboys are sabotaging this movie" theory and mocking those that saw there was an issue during the first week. I mean, you're the expert and you were scoffing at the notion that WOM was mixed. Now look. The movie actually DROPPED on Friday. Dropped. Explain that one away.

I'd "explain it away" by saying we have very little precedent for movies released on this calendar that have made this much money. Of course, I think it's silly that anything needs to be explained away for a film that is going to finish top 5 all time and make $400 million after its opening weekend. 

• Like 3

Jumanji now got an 11pm show at my local (since everything earlier is sold out)...I don't think this was "taken" from any movie, but just fills in to a theater after movie end (looks like Ferd's screen)...

2 additional shows today...this theater is finding any way it can to get that movie more seats...it did not do this opening weekend...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

Jumanji now got an 11pm show at my local (since everything earlier is sold out)...I don't think this was "taken" from any movie, but just fills in to a theater after movie end (looks like Ferd)...

2 additional shows today...this theater is finding any way it can to get that movie more seats...it did not do this opening weekend...

It increased 42% from its first Friday. It not getting more showings than last week shoudnt be a surprise.