the beast

Weekend Thread - Insidious 29.6M, Jumanji 37.2M, TLJ 23.7M, TGS 13.8M, PP3 10.3

SW is more than just the movies for Disney at this point.  I mean Galaxy's Edge is opening in Disney World and Disneyland in 2019.  I doubt anyone let down by the film won't take the opportunity to visit either.

31 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

@DAR

Well, I noticed you never mentioned the people saying Disney is 100% pleased with TLJ are not talking out of their ass either.

We don't know what they think, but I do not think they are 100% happy that TLJ is ending up on the lower end of box office expectations with a divisive reaction.

Seems more logical then they are perfectly content. 

If other studios didn't implode with bigger box office disappointments, neither is Disney with a $1.3B+ grosser.  

Edited by meriodejaneiro
  • Like 1

Insidious opened to a strong preview number, on the way to a potential $20M OW, and we're still talking about Star Wars, even though there hasn't been any numbers yet for its weekend? You guys are trash, you know that?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BK007 said:

Thread was closed before I got a chance to agree with @Tree Billboards and @narniadis about PTA films.

They seem to be perennial awards contenders, and I must admit, I've never actually even seen his films, save Magnolia.

I quite like ensemble, intertwining movies (not that I can recall any done well) and thought I'd give it a shot about 5 years ago.

After about 40 minutes, I gave up. I was bored out of my mind, nothing of note seemed to be happening, I'm not even sure any of the characters had a hint of being linked. In fact, it did feel pretentious as though the scenes were meant to be meaningful, except they were devoid of it.

Since then, every time I've seen a trailer for a PTA movie (many times not even knowing it's him) I find myself thinking, who would watch this? The trailers don't explain anything at all and really don't make you give a shit of why it should interest you in the slightest. 

Unfortunately, I don't have all the time in the world to spend wasting on films which couldn't convince me in the trailer that they were even worth a look, but from my literally torturing boredom experience with Magnolia, FIVE BLOODY YEARS AGO, I just absolutely can't stand his films, lol. 

And especially when critics collectively orgasm over them. 

I'm hardly a populist or elitist when it comes to films too. Yeah, I hate oversequelization, and am not a fan of superheroes or Disneyfying everything, but I do enjoy a popcorn blockbuster. Similarly, I do like a lot of "awards bait" contenders, but am not a fan of those really niche seemingly self-glorifying and pretentiously shot indie films- which is the vibe I get from all PTA trailers.

I find those award players are really truly awesome and well made, only until I saw tree of life and boyhood, and especially boyhood, I know I could be minority but if conflict is the essence of drama, then boyhood carry none.....and it was 2 hours 40 min!!!! it really make 2 hours 40min feels like 12 years.....

Why are people still talking about Star Wars? Insidious: The Last Key just made 2m in preview, that's way more than I thought. I thought this would make less than 20m. What do people think it will make?

• Like 1

Just now, Sheikh said:

Why are people still talking about Star Wars? Insidious: The Last Key just made 2m in preview, that's way more than I thought. I thought this would make less than 20m. What do people think it will make?

I think it gets to 19.81M OW right now, give or take depending on how frontloaded it is

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Sheikh said:

Depends on reception. January horror movies tend to open good-to great and then fall of a cliff, since most of the time, they are very bad movies. They are exceptions though like Split last year. Critics disliked Insidious, but the GA doesnt care. If the movie has a good True Friday - to Saturday jump and then a good hold on Sunday and Monday, its a contender for 50-65M. If it has bad holds, it could struggle to gross more than 45-50M.

Edit: OW looks like 20M to me. This beeing the 4th movie in the franchise should make it frontloaded.

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, a2knet said:

Haven't factored in the effect of storm but guessing 31-32 for J

9.0 (+50%)

13.5 (+50%)

9.0 (-33%)

= 31.5 (-37%)

With that, it would have cruised past JL already (:hahaha:).

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Could Insidious make more than Last Jedi this weekend? :ph34r:

I think Insidious4 being a four-quel could be much more front-loaded than we expect. Closer to 15 than 20 won't surprise me.

edit:

8.5 + 5.5 (-35%) + 3.25 (-41%) = 17.25

I3 was -27.3% on Sat and -39.2% on Sun

Edited by a2knet

8 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Before it happens, can we not rehash the same Star Wars arguments again this weekend?

It's gonna happen.

Insidious and holdovers can only do so much.

Next weekend might finally quell TLJ talk with 4+ wide releases.