the beast

Weekend Thread - Insidious 29.6M, Jumanji 37.2M, TLJ 23.7M, TGS 13.8M, PP3 10.3

19 minutes ago, baumer said:

So you have seen the future?

Even if I haven't, I wouldn't be the only one here that's made absolute claims about uncertain things:

8febf2c6a3.png

If you're allowed to, then surely I am too.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, hw64 said:

Even if I haven't, I wouldn't be the only one here that's made absolute claims about uncertain things:

8febf2c6a3.png

That wasn't really an absolute statement. TLJ absolutely had a chance of making 700M. Just didn't unfold that way.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

And why are you constantly bashing my Jigsaw failure anyway? I can understand this coming from the fans of the franchise like @Blaze Heatnix but you? This seems really random. 

I wouldn't say you're being "constantly bashed. For example, Jigsaw was a sucess, even though you said it wouldn't be. Perhaps you could say you were wrong to assume so soon that the movie would fail, but that's fine. The numbers already speak by themselves. So, I also said Insidious could surprise people, and that's what's happening. 

I'm a fan of the series as I've always been. I'm happy the movie performed well and I'm happy Insidious is also performing well. So, that's all. :)

Edited by Blaze Heatnix

5 minutes ago, aabattery said:

That wasn't really an absolute statement. TLJ absolutely had a chance of making 700M. Just didn't unfold that way.

Then let me rephrase and say that I think there's a less than 1% chance that TLJ makes anywhere near $800m domestic and $1.8b worldwide.

3 hours ago, hw64 said:

8febf2c6a3.png

I was just curious if you had seen the future, that's all.  

• Like 1

By the way, I've just watched Jumanji...

I can understand why the movie is giving Star Wars a hard time. Movie was great, really funny and the cast was hilarious. Everything worked and time flied.

Can't wait to see Sony confirming another Jumanji movie to face Star Wars Episode IX. It's gonna be glorious. :)

4 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

I can understand why the movie is giving Star Wars a hard time. Movie was great, really funny and the cast was hilarious. Everything worked and time flied.

Can't wait to see Sony confirming another Jumanji movie to face Star Wars Episode IX. It's gonna be glorious. :)

Well, Dwayne Johnson is already engaged with Disney to make a new film based on his Orlando park attraction "Jungle Cruise". He will star the movie, as well as produce it through his company Seven Bucks Entertainment (company which has produced Jumanji btw). Production should start on spring 2018, so maybe he won't make it in time to produce and star Jumanji2 for dec2019. But who know if dec2020 against Avatar2.

2 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

It also would have helped if Fox wouldn't have literally tried to push theaters off booking it in exchange for more theaters of Ferdinand.  

They had no idea what they had. 

@EmpireCity why would they sabotage their own movie? They've seen both films, and I'm assuming they'd already known Ferdinand's OW when they were doing this?

I originally thought TGS would be a mini-NATM, thought it had the feel and look. Although it looked impossible at the start, it may yet get to $120m+

2 hours ago, Webslinger said:

"The critics" aren't really out-of-touch for not being bowled over by The Greatest Showman. Their job is to write what they think about a film, not to align with how they predict the mainstream reaction will play out.

Personally, I was less bothered by the cliches and wholesomeness than I was by the suspicion that there was a large chunk missing from the final cut. Characters and relationships are underdeveloped, which undercuts the effectiveness of the (impressively-staged) musical numbers. It's pretty to look at and gets a long way on the conviction of its actors, but it also feels like it was hacked to pieces in the editing room.

And yet it has such great WOM? I wonder what that tells us, unfortunately it tells execs exactly the wrong thing if indeed it was heavily edited.

2 hours ago, Maxmoser3 said:

Minus this snowstorm. Very good start for Insidious 4. A fourth entry in a horror franchise dies off completely, and that wasn’t an issue. It’s also awesome to note it an even had a better debut than Chapter 3 which came out in the summer! 

Where are those who proclaimed its premature death due to the lack of marketing presence?

27 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Sony has Masters of the Universe dated there if that even happens

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

Well, Dwayne Johnson is already engaged with Disney to make a new film based on his Orlando park attraction "Jungle Cruise". He will star the movie, as well as produce it through his company Seven Bucks Entertainment (company which has produced Jumanji btw). Production should start on spring 2018, so maybe he won't make it in time to produce and star Jumanji2 for dec2019. But who know if dec2020 against Avatar2.

Disney now monopolizing other studio's franchise's talent :ohmygod:

Neat trick.

Having said that, as much as The Rock adds watchability and charisma to any role, if Sony were to build on the success of Jumanji, I think the "franchise formula" would have to be fish out of water/body switching with a respectable, humourous or playing against type cast. I'd watch something like Liam Neeson thinking he was playing his character out of Taken, but finds out he's a fraudulent, overweight detective. Hmm..could cast Jack Black again then, lol.

2 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

Sony has Masters of the Universe dated there if that even happens

big christmas 2019 movies are already announced and have a casting and even promotional posters, such as Ep9, Aquaman. I don't think less than two years is enough to develop a big budgeted blockbuster.  And Masters of the Universe seems to be one of those. And if well developed, MOTU could turn into a kind of MCU, with many movies and different stories to be told. So they shouldn't run, and make this good. I used to like Masters of the Universe cartoons and action figures.

2 hours ago, hw64 said:

Yeah that's not happening.

I tend to agree, a slight rebound for EP9 to 1.4B is conceivable, but to nearly 1.8B is just highly unlikely, unless China suddenly embraces the franchise or US dollar suddenly dropping like crazy. The finality isn't there anymore, and there's also not as much of a hook/draw for EP9. It's not like we have a large sample size to claim there's a definitive trend for these films.

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

big christmas 2019 movies are already announced and have a casting and even promotional posters, such as Ep9, Aquaman. I don't think less than two years is enough to develop a big budgeted blockbuster.  

Isn't that this year?

Edited by NCsoft

37 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

When is SoW going to go wider? Or will it not ever get any kind of very wide release? This expansion rollout seems kind of odd. 

It was supposed to be in over 1k theaters this weekend, but Searchlight scrapped that. I'm guessing they'll put it into 1,500-2,000 theaters in two weeks after Oscar nominations are out.