kayumanggi

AQUAMAN | 813.4 M overseas ● 1148.5 M worldwide

Gliding to another $85.4M at the international box office this weekend, Warner Bros/DC’s Aquaman again rules overseas — for the 4th consecutive frame. The offshore cume is now $560M after a dip of just 28% in holdover markets. Worldwide, the fish-man has caught $748.8Mthrough Sunday. This is before Italy opens New Year’s Day and ahead of the Japanese launch on February 8, while China continues its run (extended into early February) with $260.4M (RMB 1.8B) through today to make it the 6th highest grossing import of all time.

Further milestones include Aquaman being the biggest DC title ever in China, Indonesia, India, Malaysia, Thailand and Vietnam; the best for Wan in Korea, Indonesia and the Philippines; tops for WB in 2018 in 15 markets (including China, Korea, Brazil and Mexico); and the No. 1 WB movie of all time in China, Indonesia, Malaysia and Thailand.

Edited by NamakFiskKa
  • Astonished 2

Gliding to another $85.4M at the international box office this weekend, Warner Bros/DC’s Aquaman again rules overseas — for the 4th consecutive frame. The offshore cume is now $560M after a dip of just 28% in holdover markets. Worldwide, the fish-man has caught $748.8Mthrough Sunday. This is before Italy opens New Year’s Day and ahead of the Japanese launch on February 8, while China continues its run (extended into early February) with $260.4M (RMB 1.8B) through today to make it the 6th highest grossing import of all time.

The James Wan-helmed pic’s $560M overseas gross crowns it as the 2nd biggest DC Universe title ever at offshore turnstiles, coming in behind only The Dark Knight Rises. As we reported during the weekend (see below), the underwater tale has also overtaken Justice League’s global gross as Jason Momoa & Co eye a $900M+ final.

Further milestones include Aquaman being the biggest DC title ever in China, Indonesia, India, Malaysia, Thailand and Vietnam; the best for Wan in Korea, Indonesia and the Philippines; tops for WB in 2018 in 15 markets (including China, Korea, Brazil and Mexico); and the No. 1 WB movie of all time in China, Indonesia, Malaysia and Thailand.

HOLDOVERS/EXPANSIONS
AQUAMAN

aquaman-3.jpeg?w=301&h=202&crop=1
Warner Bros.

At No. 1 again, Warner Bros/DC’s Aquamanhas now grossed $560M internationally and $748.8M worldwide. That’s after a 4th overseas frame that hooked $85.4M on roughly 23,425 screens in 78 markets for a 28% drop from last session.

In addition to the milestones achieved as noted above, the weekend saw eight new openings which were all No. 1s — the James Wan-directed movie is still tops in 40 of its 78 offshore hubs.

In Europe, it ruled the region again, tracking 48% above Justice League and 64% over Wonder Woman. Outside China, Aquaman reps the biggest WB film in Asia this year, the 2nd biggest for the DC Universe and the 3rd WB title ever. Also ranking No. 1 in Latin America, the Jason Momoa-starrer is ahead of Wonder Woman by 13%.

Despite new local arrivals in China, Aquaman popped back up to 2nd position on Sunday with a full weekend of $11.4M on 5,900 screens for a 51% drop. The Middle Kingdom cume is $260.4M.

Australia’s opening weekend put $11M in the net on 635 screens. Compared to other 5-day launches, this is the 2nd best for DC coming in slightly behind Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice. Korea added $7.4M on 1,285 screens with a slight 17% drop from opening weekend. The cume to date is $24.8M.

France (+13%) and Germany (+16%) both swam upwards versus last weekend with $15.3M and $12.3M cumes, respectively.

Italy opens on New Year’s Day followed by Japan on February 8. To date, China leads all cumes with $260.4M, followed by Korea’s $24.8M, Brazil’s $23.7M, Mexico’s $22.4M and the UK’s $18.2M.

Edited by titanic2187
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Running some numbers, this is what I come up with:

OS weekend was 85M with China about 15. So 70 OS-China

Domestic weekend was 51.5M.

Actual OS weekend will be higher since the numbers provided by WB have China and SK 1M lower than the numbers we already know. But let's take the starting point as 750M WW.

Movies normally have a 3.4x legs from this weekend looking at past performances. Let's give Aquaman just a 3x instead and that's 103M more domestic.

China will be adding around 12M in the next 2 days, then much smaller numbers like 1M daily next week, 0.5M daily the week after, 0.25 the week after that and so on for 4 more weeks. Let's say about 18-20M from China.

South Korea is holding really strong and could give another 20M but let's stop it at 12M as a low end.

The rest of the markets did around 62M this weekend. Those can give it another 100M past this weekend. But let's give it just 80M more. Japan gives around 10M to CBMs. Italy has done 10M on average for DC movies.

Adding up everything, we get

750M OS currently + 103M domestic + 18M China + 80M OS + 20M Italy plus Japan + 12M Korea to give us (I have no idea what this will add up to since I did the extrapolation before addition) 983M WW finish. Basically within spitting distance of 1B giving it bargain basement legs in every market from here on out.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Running some numbers, this is what I come up with:

OS weekend was 85M with China about 15. So 70 OS-China

Domestic weekend was 51.5M.

Actual OS weekend will be higher since the numbers provided by WB have China and SK 1M lower than the numbers we already know. But let's take the starting point as 750M WW.

Movies normally have a 3.4x legs from this weekend looking at past performances. Let's give Aquaman just a 3x instead and that's 103M more domestic.

China will be adding around 12M in the next 2 days, then much smaller numbers like 1M daily next week, 0.5M daily the week after, 0.25 the week after that and so on for 4 more weeks. Let's say about 18-20M from China.

South Korea is holding really strong and could give another 20M but let's stop it at 12M as a low end.

The rest of the markets did around 62M this weekend. Those can give it another 100M past this weekend. But let's give it just 80M more. Japan gives around 10M to CBMs. Italy has done 10M on average for DC movies.

Adding up everything, we get

750M OS currently + 103M domestic + 18M China + 80M OS + 20M Italy plus Japan + 12M Korea to give us (I have no idea what this will add up to since I did the extrapolation before addition) 983M WW finish. Basically within spitting distance of 1B giving it bargain basement legs in every market from here on out.

I thought your Japan figure was low until I saw that JL only did 9.4mil there. Yikes. Still, AQ has been outperforming JL everywhere except the UK where MP looms large, and Brazil, where the ER is so awful, so I think it will be able to squeeze 12-15 out of Japan. I'll say China 285 instead of 280, and since WB doesn't have a movie out in the states until Lego on Feb 8, they will try and hold it in theaters until they get that 300+ dom confirmed, so yeah I think they'll make it. Lets just hope for Reddevil19's sake the apocalypse doesn't hit when it's at $999!

Edited by A Star is Orm
typo
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Unadjusted, the closest to $1b worldwide without hitting $1b worldwide title is still held by Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone: $974.8m. Despicable Me 2 back in 2013 did come somewhat close to it with $970.8m.

Unless the legs collapse after the holidays, Aquaman is poised to set the new (unadjusted) closest to billion worldwide record, whether over or under. My OCD would love a "perfect" $1000.0m (with couple of cents added on top of it).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Marathon said:

Unless the legs collapse after the holidays, Aquaman is poised to set the new (unadjusted) closest to billion worldwide record, whether over or under.

There is TDK at $1.005B? Too early to say where AQM ends up, but if it does go over $1B...

1 hour ago, Marathon said:

Unadjusted, the closest to $1b worldwide without hitting $1b worldwide title is still held by Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone: $974.8m. Despicable Me 2 back in 2013 did come somewhat close to it with $970.8m.

Unless the legs collapse after the holidays, Aquaman is poised to set the new (unadjusted) closest to billion worldwide record, whether over or under. My OCD would love a "perfect" $1000.0m (with couple of cents added on top of it).

And with The Lion King being the third closest with $968M WW. TJB being the fourth with $966M, POTC3 fifth with $963M and Jumanji 2 being the sixth closest with $962M WW.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34
  • Like 1