Eric Duncan

West Side Story | 10 DEC 2021 | RIP Stephen Sondheim | Comes to Disney+ March 2nd

3 hours ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Man, Disney is really trying to own the holiday season with this and Avatar 2. Cruella will do alright I guess.

Avatar 2's been pushed back to 2021, I think.

This will likely land in the same $70-85M area that War Horse, Bridge of Spies, and The Post did unless it becomes an unstoppable awards contender. The budget will likely be in the same $40-50M range as the latter two so luckily it doesn't have to light the world on fire to turn a profit.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

This will likely land in the same $70-85M area that War Horse, Bridge of Spies, and The Post did unless it becomes an unstoppable awards contender. The budget will likely be in the same $40-50M range as the latter two so luckily it doesn't have to light the world on fire to turn a profit.

I'm shocked at this prediction. I really think this will do better than Marry Poppins. It's Spielberg behind the camera. I'm sure it will be nominated too

8 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I don't know how three historical dramas of variably niche subject matter can be considered comparable to what's most likely going to be a crowd-pleasing musical.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, cookie said:

I don't know how three historical dramas can be considered comparable to what's most likely going to be a crowd-pleasing musical.

I mean, West Side Story is still a fairly downbeat drama? It's not exactly uplifting ala The Greatest Showman (then again neither was Les Miserables and that made bank though that had a much more starry cast than this does, plus it was the long-awaited adaptation of one of the most beloved Broadway shows ever). Depends on how many people want to make that their #1 choice to see over Christmas break with the family over, say, Cruella (as well as its awards potential).

Edited by filmlover

On 5/17/2019 at 4:05 AM, cannastop said:

The source material is dated as shit.

And how did Mary Poppins Returns do?

West Side Story's budget will most likely be only half that of Mary Poppins Returns ($130 million) at the most (I'm thinking $40-55 million range), so if it does as well at the box office as Returns did ($172 million domestically, $177 million overseas, $349 million worldwide), it'll be performing a lot better.

And a source material about gang violence and Latino race relations doesn't sound that dated to me.

• Disbelief 1