Neo

Top Gun Maverick | May 27, 2022 | Catch it in theaters...again on December 2nd! | Comes to Paramount+ on December 22!

On 5/19/2022 at 2:52 AM, titanic2187 said:

Another round of jet fighter’s presence in the premiere. Wonder why still no reporter asks about if this is some sort of military strength display or supportive gesture amid Russia/Ukraine war. 

Sometimes a thing is just a thing.  It's a movie about jet fighters and pilots.  And all these promo events featuring real-life jets would have happened whenever the movie was originally supposed to premiere, too.  

• Like 1

Glowing reviews definitely help but still have a hard time thinking there's $200m worth of people that want to see this next weekend. 

52 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

definitely. We all knew the Kate Middleton Tom Cruise photo op would be gangbusters for the world’s media. I don’t even think the marketing team could have quite imagined how iconic some of those pictures would end up being.  Cruise works the promotion circuit like no other star. 

1 hour ago, FilmFincher said:

I think the Royals being at the red carpet last night gave a big push. All the ties to the Jubilee celebrations, holidays the week after the film's release. It's in a prime position to do some good business. 

was there any particular reason the royals were there...? seems very random 

48 minutes ago, excel1 said:

was there any particular reason the royals were there...? seems very random 

It's not the first time having royals at a film premier. It happens often enough (more-so for Bond), I imagine if there's a film premier happening in London the first thing they do is send out an invite. 

To me it felt like this one had a lot more eyes on it because we're in the midst of Jubilee celebrations which just so happen to be lining up with Top Gun Maverick press. So Cruise was here earlier in the week introducing The King's Troop Royal Horse Artillery display with the Queen in attendance. Then you have Kate & William attending the red carpet. It's some nice synergy going on between the two things. Like @wildphantom said the photo of Cruise helping Kate up the stairs and holding her hand is something British media will love to chat about and there's probably a dozen articles with the photo. 

• Like 1

I'm impressed by the presales here in my area. I don't know how Paramount turned this into a near Disney franchise-level event even outside the U.S., but it's a very positive sign that audiences could show up for something different after all.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I'm impressed by the presales here in my area. I don't know how Paramount turned this into a near Disney franchise-level event even outside the U.S., but it's a very positive sign that audiences could show up for something different after all.

When you have a highly entertaining action filled movie with universal acclaim its not that difficult. it just sells on its merits and Tom Cruise brand is stronger overseas than domestic.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Hope this bodes well for a good international run 

It’s looking surprisingly busy at my local IMAX in the UK, particularly on Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. Friday definitely seems bigger than Wednesday too.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, grim22 said:

This piece is needlessly cynical and pointless.  Usually one would say here "with all due respect" but I think the writer deserves no respect, here.  All that really matters and will matter in history is what Cruise will leave the world in his art/profession -- and in that, he continues to supersede his peers in the action/spectacle genre.  Who else is doing what he's doing, especially at his age?  Who else has resuscitated now *TWO* decades-old franchises to critical and commercial global success?  Who else keeps literally risking their life for their work so that they can deliver the best entertainment in the world?  Who else consciously chooses real locations and stunts over the easy-access of green screen/virtual tech/Stagecraft?  Cruise may never show his private life to us again...but I absolutely do not care!  His movies are still the best in the business!  Or at the very least...best in the action genre!  

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/cannes-diary-tom-cruise-biggest-most-elusive-movie-star-1235150329/

Edited by Macleod

I skimmed through several reviews and I was shocked by how many of them are flat out raves or close to it. I didn't have any expectations for the film but it might actually be a contender for best film of the summer. If audiences love it as much as critics do, it might even be able to surpass DS2 which looks to be limping its way to $400M.

This is going to explode for sure. It will have great legs stateside. I am not so sure about international markets but it will do well in markets that appreciate great action flicks. Cruise still is popular in many markets. 

I would say

170m till monday

450m domestic

400m OS

850m WW. 

• Astonished 1