MaxAggressor

Weekend Thread | Estimates (per DHD) ~ MR:TDC 23M, J 15.8M, H 9.8M, TGS 9.3M, TP 8.7M, 12S/DoT 7.9M, TSOW 5.7M, P2 5.5M, TLJ 4M, TBOEM 3.6M

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

no one even remembers the hunger games tbh. the first one is really the only one that made any kind of pop cultural dent. what a wimper that shit went out on.

so did catching fire. the splitting of the finale killed all momentum the series had, though.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

no one even remembers the hunger games tbh. the first one is really the only one that made any kind of pop cultural dent. what a wimper that shit went out on.

Actually it's kind of an universally agreed on thing that Catching Fire was the best one of them all. Maybe it didn't set pop culture on fire (no pun intended), but it was the most successful in all fronts.

Just now, Noctis said:

so did catching fire. the splitting of the finale killed all momentum the series had, though.

it was big at the time but i'm saying if any one's referencing those movies at all these days like maybe you'll get the occasional "i volunteer as tribute" it's pretty much exclusively the first one. it's gonna be like karate kid or something where people will just ignore the fact that the sequels are even there.

I'm a fan of the Hunger Games movies (the first two, at least), but yeah, it has kinda vanished from the pop culture scene like the entire YA movement has. I'm actually impressed Maze Runner 3 did as well as it did with how much the genre has imploded (at least this series can claim it finished the story on-screen, unlike Divergent).

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

Potter really kinda sux. THG is better on the whole.

BTW, guys:

baumer saw DH1 three times. He saw DH2 twice. Gave DH1 a 9 and gave DH2 a 7.5. He hated HBP, but liked OoTP enough. 

So, yeah, baum-baum...not buying it too much.

2 minutes ago, Noctis said:

BTW, guys:

baumer saw DH1 three times. He saw DH2 twice. Gave DH1 a 9 and gave DH2 a 7.5. He hated HBP, but liked OoTP enough. 

So, yeah, baum-baum...not buying it too much.

How you can remember shit like that floors me

53 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

it was big at the time but i'm saying if any one's referencing those movies at all these days like maybe you'll get the occasional "i volunteer as tribute" it's pretty much exclusively the first one. it's gonna be like karate kid or something where people will just ignore the fact that the sequels are even there.

I agree with you here. Almost all the references in pop culture are from the first movie. Catching Fire was really good and earned a lot of money, but its like the Beauty and the Beast remake, it was big when released and now when someone says Beauty and the Beast the reference is to the animated movie.

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

If Mockingjay wasn't split into two parts, THG would've been much more ingrained in the current pop culture scene.

I'm still somewhat surprised that MJ2 ended below THG WW. MJ1 hurt that franchise a lot.

• Like 1

Here's something I don't think many people have mentioned.  I've seen a lot of talk about TLJ being a sequel and $1.3B is nothing to sneeze at.  Sure, that's true.  No denying that.  But Furious 7 was the seventh movie in a franchise that is nowhere near the level of popularity as Star Wars and it did $1.5B.  I think there's reason for some to be disappointed with this TLJ run.  

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I'm surprised Divergent made 151m. Guessing marketing it alongside Catchjng Fire really helped 

It had the "This is the next big YA franchise" vibe going for it, and with THG coming to an end Lionsgate went all in on marketing it that way as well. Turns out it wasn't, but Lionsgate didn't know when to cut and run.