Jake Gittes

The Lighthouse | Robert Eggers' follow-up to The Witch | Awesome Analog Black & White FILM Technology | Willem Dafoe, Robert Pattinson | October 18, 2019

I expect to get some Not Cools for this but i really don't get the obsession by some certain individuals who think they're so intelligent, to make films in black and white.

We have colour cameras. Been around for a while. In fact they'r eprobably used to film this movie. There is no benefit to black and white in your film other to make you look edgy and cool. It's always done after the fact as well, don't even bother going to the care of filming on a greyscale only camera.

It's not cool, it doesn't add anything, and it doesn't make you smart, it just puts off audiences.

Don't get me started on the screen ratio.

Logan and Mad Max Fury Road did this to make them look superior to alternative $100m action films but at least those were optional, you weren't forced to suffer the black and white versions.

Why would you deliberately make your film look like crap?

Edited by Avatree
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 2

22 minutes ago, Avatree said:

I expect to get some Not Cools for this but i really don't get the obsession by some certain individuals who think they're so intelligent, to make films in black and white.We have colour cameras. Been around for a while. In fact they'r eprobably used to film this movie.

"The movie is set in 1890 and was filmed on 35 mm black and white Double-X 5222 film stock, augmenting the Panavision Millennium XL2 camera with vintage Baltar lenses designed in the 1930s. To enhance the image, making it resemble early photography, a custom cyan filter made by Schneider Filters that emulated the look and feel of orthochromatic film from the late 19th century was used."

There is no benefit to black and white in your film other to make you look edgy and cool. It's always done after the fact as well, don't even bother going to the care of filming on a greyscale only camera.

It's not cool, it doesn't add anything, and it doesn't make you smart, it just puts off audiences.

No benefit? None at all? In the same way there's no benefit for all color movies to have the exact same color grade, right? Because why would it benefit a film to have a different color grade depending on the style and tone of the film since it's all color anyway?

This looks like crap to you?

roma-2.png

Schindlers-List-part-2-590x308.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Lucas said:

"The movie is set in 1890 and was filmed on 35 mm black and white Double-X 5222 film stock, augmenting the Panavision Millennium XL2 camera with vintage Baltar lenses designed in the 1930s. To enhance the image, making it resemble early photography, a custom cyan filter made by Schneider Filters that emulated the look and feel of orthochromatic film from the late 19th century was used."

No benefit? None at all? In the same way there's no benefit for all color movies to have the exact same color grade, right? Because why would it benefit a film to have a different color grade depending on the style and tone of the film since it's all color anyway?

This looks like crap to you?

roma-2.png

Schindlers-List-part-2-590x308.jpg

yes they look crap, you can't fucking see anything.

Glad to hear it is shot on the right equipment but it's still pretentious and stupid. 

And I didn't say films all needed to look the same. But colour simply IS better than black and white, in the same way that it's better to have sound in your film than radio silence 

• Knock It Off 1

1 minute ago, Avatree said:

And I didn't say films all needed to look the same. But colour simply IS better than black and white, in the same way that it's better to have sound in your film than radio silence 

You didn't say that, but you did say shooting in black and white does nothing for a film. It doesn't add anything, whether it's a style or a tone. It certainly doesn't help the atmosphere the film is going for, it doesn't help set the mood, it doesn't help capture the feel of the past, it absolutely doesn't make it look visually more interesting next to 99% of all other movies coming out right now.

So why would a different color grade do anything different for a color film?

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Avatree said:

I expect to get some Not Cools for this but i really don't get the obsession by some certain individuals who think they're so intelligent, to make films in black and white.

We have colour cameras. Been around for a while. In fact they'r eprobably used to film this movie. There is no benefit to black and white in your film other to make you look edgy and cool. It's always done after the fact as well, don't even bother going to the care of filming on a greyscale only camera.

Don't get me started on the screen ratio.

Logan and Mad Max Fury Road did this to make them look superior to alternative $100m action films but at least those were optional, you weren't forced to suffer the black and white versions.

The fact that you think filmmakers make decisions like filming in B&W only on the basis of how it'll make them look "edgy and cool" says a lot more about you than it does about someone like Robert Eggers. Do you go through life only doing things that you think will be perceived as "edgy or cool" too?

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Alpha said:

The fact that you think filmmakers make decisions like filming in B&W only on the basis of how it'll make them look "edgy and cool" says a lot more about you than it does about someone like Robert Eggers. Do you go through life only doing things that you think will be perceived as "edgy or cool" too?

If that's how I went about my life, I would be celebrating this not criticising it. your statement makes 0 sense/

Edited by Avatree

Important Question: were Those tentacles behind R-Pats when he was punching into the camera? Is he a squid/kraken? That would be fun. 

Sass aside, that trailer is A LOT and I say that in the best way possible.  Gonna be such a trip.  

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, TMP said:

Best Actor's gonna be a tight race between Adam Sandler and Robert Pattinson this year!!

And possibly, POSSIBLY, Eddie Murphy for Dolemite is my Name. Those are 3 actors you'd expect to see in a Razzie line-up together a decade ago.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, gadd said:

And possibly, POSSIBLY, Eddie Murphy for Dolemite is my Name. Those are 3 actors you'd expect to see in a Razzie line-up together a decade ago.

Yeah, the razzies have a habbit of putting good actors / performances in there because "lol this film is dumb"

For example i think Dakota Johnson got razzied for Fifty Shades even though she was AMAZING in that horrible bore of a film.

The issue is Razzie voters vote on things they haven't seen.

Edited by Avatree
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, TMP said:

Best Actor's gonna be a tight race between Adam Sandler and Robert Pattinson this year!!

What is Sandler in that is getting accolades?

Just now, baumer said:

What is Sandler in that is getting accolades?

Uncut Gems, from the directors of Good Time. It has a December release date and is playing at some major festivals in the next few months.

• Like 1