That One Girl

BLACK PANTHER WEEKEND THREAD | Current Estimates - 202.4M 3-day / 242.6M 4-day | Record 40.167 Monday; more than TFA!

Just now, Telehilation said:

Admittedly this is an extreme case, but the different between 9 trailers and 2 trailers is probably, what, 20 minutes? That with 2 showtimes (a 7pm and a 10pm) would mean a third show would be viable without going crazy late. (At least in LA, I guess if it's a small town they don't wanna do a 12:30 or 12:45 show, heh).

I mean, you aren't wrong.  For a Thursday however, and one with this much demand, I'd just cancel another movie and play it in there, lol.  You have a lot more freedom to play on Thursday night than any other time.

Any theater worth a damn has it ready to go on every screen possible just for this moment.  Drop another movie, play BP, then, if demand is really that strong, you'll be able to play it again after that later time drops.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Deep Wang said:

I mean, you aren't wrong.  For a Thursday however, and one with this much demand, I'd just cancel another movie and play it in there, lol.  You have a lot more freedom to play on Thursday night than any other time.

Any theater worth a damn has it ready to go on every screen possible just for this moment.  Drop another movie, play BP, then, if demand is really that strong, you'll be able to play it again after that later time drops.

This makes sense, especially for smaller towns. :thinking: 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jandrew said:

So $200M looking out of play? Regardless still stratospheric numbers.

I would say 80 + million opening day would put 200 million 3-day back in contention. 

The thing is some people here are thinking this is going to 70-80 million Saturday and that just makes zero sense to me. 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, feasby007 said:

I bow down to your Coco Appreciation :wub: Also strange that Round 2 didn't show Incredibles??

Thank you for quoting, I hadn't realized I forgot round 6! And I arrived really late to the second time I saw it, so there are no trailers listed for that.

21 minutes ago, Telehilation said:

I assume this was thursday night... couldn't they have squeezed in a post-midnight show if they wanted to?

i was at the 10pm show anyway sooo

• Astonished 1

15 minutes ago, Jandrew said:

So $200M looking out of play? Regardless still stratospheric numbers.

well it was never really in play, but it's still not over yet so never know :) 

15 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

I would say 80 + million opening day would put 200 million 3-day back in contention. 

The thing is some people here are thinking this is going to 70-80 million Saturday and that just makes zero sense to me. 

With Thor Ragnarok legs 72 m gets you 190 m.

75 m = 198 m

80 m = 211 m

But the legs could be BETTER than Thor 3.

We could be in Avengers/cultural phenomenon territory.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

With Thor Ragnarok legs 72 m gets you 190 m.

75 m = 198 m

80 m = 211 m

But the legs could be BETTER than Thor 3.

We could be in Avengers/cultural phenomenon territory.

Thor 3 actually was more backloaded than Avengers on opening weekend compared to opening day.

Never forget

FRIDAY 12:45 PM… My sources are giving very early estimates for Marvel’s The Avengers of between $65 million and $67 million for Friday (including $18.7M midnights) based on matinee trends. Not a record. That would bring the worldwide total to $371 million so far… and counting. More later.

FRIDAY 7:45 PM… Rival studios tell me they expect Marvel’s The Avengersfrom Disney to open to $67M (within a range of $60M and $70M) today and around $160M (within a range of $157M-$165M) its first weekend in North America. No records going down yet. More later.

FRIDAY PM/SATURDAY AM: What a sensational Summer 2012 kick-off! The first weekend of May is one of the most lucrative release dates each year, especially for Marvel comic book adaptations. And Disney is reporting stronger North American box office for Marvel’s The Avengers in Digital 3D, RealD and IMAX 3D than it dared to hope and even rival studios thought possible. The Friday opening number is now $80.5 million because late shows were coming on strong for the 2nd biggest single day gross and Friday opening of all time in box office history.

• Like 3
  • Haha 8
  • Astonished 2