That One Girl

BLACK PANTHER WEEKEND THREAD | Current Estimates - 202.4M 3-day / 242.6M 4-day | Record 40.167 Monday; more than TFA!

3 minutes ago, vc2002 said:

3VwfviR.gif

People in here are undermining Avatar's success by calling something not even half as big a phenomenon.

I mean.. you could keep the money then turn back time do it all over and still make less than Avatar...

4 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Fifty Shades barely dropped. Last weekend it sold around 95.000 tickets :hahaha: the 191.000 tickets number you saw last Thursday was the 7 day total. It was also first place in tickets sold. Black Panther won because of the 4DX and IMAX ticket prices :hahaha: 

Oh. I forgot about the 7 day total. #Portrashugal

Still, Black Panther was #1, so....... #NotAsMuchTrashAsItWasLastWeek

• Thanks 1

OMG at those bumps in estimates if that holds.  Reading some of the post, I think some of you guys might be right about IW.  It has competition in May from Deadpool and Solo which both have similar audiences.   JL definitely under-performed domestically and internationally, not saying teamup movies can't do gangbusters but even "Ultron" dropped.  Cap 3 was a defacto Avengers film and even that had it's domestic ceiling at 400 Million.   BP does have less comp but it doesn't have summer weekdays. Also though it's the 18th Marvel film, it feels fresh and different almost like a standalone new film.   Hopefully the lack of comp and some good WOM will keep the legs going.  Speaking of Star Wars,  "Solo" will most likely become the 2nd Star Wars film since "Attack of the Clones" to not win the year (Spidey won in 2002) The other 6 won the year Domestically. BP has me really having a watchful eye on the Summer 2018 heavy hitters.  Thor 3 had a 2.5x Multiper but BP is staring out more like TFA, TLJ, Avengers and JW.  WW did have a 4x Multiper domestically.   TLJ hit 2.8x Multiplier.   If BP matches that.....

Related image

8 minutes ago, filmscholar said:

OMG at those bumps in estimates if that holds.  Reading some of the post, I think some of you guys might be right about IW.  It has competition in May from Deadpool and Solo which both have similar audiences.   JL definitely under-performed domestically and internationally, not saying teamup movies can't do gangbusters but even "Ultron" dropped.  Cap 3 was a defacto Avengers film and even that had it's domestic ceiling at 400 Million.   BP does have less comp but it doesn't have summer weekdays. Also though it's the 18th Marvel film, it feels fresh and different almost like a standalone new film.   Hopefully the lack of comp and some good WOM will keep the legs going.  Speaking of Star Wars,  "Solo" will most likely become the 2nd Star Wars film since "Attack of the Clones" to not win the year (Spidey won in 2002) The other 6 won the year Domestically. BP has me really having a watchful eye on the Summer 2018 heavy hitters.  Thor 3 had a 2.5x Multiper but BP is staring out more like TFA, TLJ, Avengers and JW.  WW did have a 4x Multiper domestically.   TLJ hit 2.8x Multiplier.   If BP matches that.....

what happened to your avatar from that call me by your name film?

1 hour ago, Alexiswills12 said:

IKR? I’m on boxofficemojo.com and I still have to pinch myself to not seeing BP being compared to Spiderman and Thor but to the Avengers movies instead!

Also with a 66M Saturday that would be a drop of just 9.6% (better than TFA! that dropped 11.3%)

February and March look like weaker competition than last year was. (Logan 88M, BatB 174M) so this film good have some good legs.

If the OW is $201M

2.5x legs would take the film to $500M

Edited by Taruseth
  • Like 1

Audiences being less interested in superhero team-ups than superhero solo movies is an oversimplification IMO. If a team-up has an interesting enough hook, large numbers will turn up.

Of course, is Thanos collecting dem stones a big enough hook to beat something as groundbreaking as BP? I dunno, especially as the MCU has done a really inadequate job so far in setting him up as the villain of the "culminating story arc of the first 10 years". IW may have some "shocker/gamechanger moments" up its sleeve but by the time people discover them, it may be too late to have a major impact on the film's BO run with stiff competition arriving pretty soon after. I guess we'll see soon enough.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Asyulus said:

I say 70% chance it happens.

Worldwide still unlikely. But IW will unseat TA WW and reach over $2 billion.

I do not want to say 0% chance, because BO is unpredictable, but it is extremely unlikely. It would be needed about, let's say, $1.2b from USA and China combined to have a chance.

• Like 1

If the 4-day is around 240 then BP could  go over DP's dom (363) in the 2nd weekend even giving a big FSS drop.

238 4-day + 40 Tue-Thu + 85 2nd weekend (-58% from 201-202) = 363

DP fell only 57% in 2nd weekend despite 0.2% growth on VD OW Sunday. So BP's 58% drop could be pessimistic but still leaving room for that.

There's a good chance that BP outgrosses TA, which leads to a good chance that BP being the biggest Marvel film for a while. That'd be really weird. A supporting role makes the biggest film in the franchise. It's like a Lando Calrissian movie being the highest grossing film in the SW franchise.

But on a 2nd thought, is that the situation of the DCEU right now?  In a bad way tho lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Audiences being less interested in superhero team-ups than superhero solo movies is an oversimplification IMO. If a team-up has an interesting enough hook, large numbers will turn up.

Of course, is Thanos collecting dem stones a big enough hook to beat something as groundbreaking as BP? I dunno, especially as the MCU has done a really inadequate job so far in setting him up as the villain of the "culminating story arc of the first 10 years". IW may have some "shocker/gamechanger moments" up its sleeve but by the time people discover them, it may be too late to have a major impact on the film's BO run with stiff competition arriving pretty soon after. I guess we'll see soon enough.   

I think the film has much more simpler storyline then Civil war for sure which I think a lot of casual audiences did not really understand or care about.

1 minute ago, vc2002 said:

There's a good chance that BP outgrosses TA, which leads to a good chance that BP being the biggest Marvel film for a while. That'd be really weird. A supporting role makes the biggest film in the franchise. It's like a Lando Calrissian movie being the highest grossing film in the SW franchise.

But on a 2nd thought, is that the situation of the DCEU right now?  In a bad way tho lol

The biggest SH film for a while ;)

If somebody tells this us one year ago we would be doing something like this :hahaha: :hahaha::hahaha:

35 minutes ago, Taruseth said:

Also with a 66M Saturday that would be a drop of just 9.6% (better than TFA! that dropped 11.3%)

February and March look like weaker competition than last year was. (Logan 88M, BatB 174M) so this film good have some good legs.

If the OW is $201M

2.5x legs would take the film to $500M

I see it reaching 600M to be honest.

Wonder Woman got to 400M and that thing bored me to tears.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, peludo said:

The biggest SH film for a while ;)

If somebody tells this us one year ago we would be doing something like this :hahaha: :hahaha::hahaha:

Well that's not much different than "the biggest Marvel film", since DC isn't much of a competing gamer right now.:jeb!:

Edited by vc2002