That One Girl

BLACK PANTHER WEEKEND THREAD | Current Estimates - 202.4M 3-day / 242.6M 4-day | Record 40.167 Monday; more than TFA!

7 minutes ago, feasby007 said:

With China over $500m, Domestic at $270m and BP overseas $170m, is it reasonable to suggest we may have just had the first ever (pretty sure) $1b worldwide weekend at the box office! 

In February as well! You can bet that more tentpoles will be released in February now. 

5 minutes ago, XO21 said:

Mulan :sparta:

DC actually have a line of Chinese superheroes as part of Rebirth like New Super-Man

Edited by Jonwo

I'm coming up with 475 on the low end and 550 on the high end for domestic total. Also I'd give a billion about an 80% chance. 

I haven't watched it yet but obv it's the right movie at the right time, and Disney's marketing department in this case did a better job than anyone could have hoped for. Surprise of the year right here.

1 minute ago, MattW said:

I'm coming up with 475 on the low end and 550 on the high end for domestic total. Also I'd give a billion about an 80% chance. 

I haven't watched it yet but obv it's the right movie at the right time, and Disney's marketing department in this case did a better job than anyone could have hoped for. Surprise of the year right here.

80% chance?

Are we talking about BP?

Also average legs are not happening.

What cultural phenomenon has average legs?

Or based on your 475 number, below average?

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

In February as well! You can bet that more tentpoles will be released in February now. 

I'm pretty sure for the next few years it can only happen in February, as that is when Chinese New Year happens, and that is by far the biggest box office time of the year for China, which accounted for almost half of the weekend! Possibly the next time it could happen is when Avatar 2 is released, as that has a very serious chance of $300m+ opening weekend in China by then.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

80% chance?

Are we talking about BP?

Also average legs are not happening.

What cultural phenomenon has average legs?

Or based on your 475 number, below average?

Care to make a wager? What do you think is the low and high end

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

The January and October OW records must be in sight for Disney or another studio to smash. October's is more likely than January's IMO 

As far as I can see this year for October is Venom and Mowgli. Now The Jungle Book barely passed $100m, so Mowgli basically has no chance. But Venom has a very slim chance I guess. It's the best we've got for this year. Jan and Oct 2019 look inexplicably bare at the moment

Just now, feasby007 said:

As far as I can see this year for October is Venom and Mowgli. Now The Jungle Book barely passed $100m, so Mowgli basically has no chance. But Venom has a very slim chance I guess. It's the best we've got for this year. Jan and Oct 2019 look inexplicably bare at the moment

January always bare because studios sched they bigger releases for late Dec

May is falling again this year

It's interesting that studios have moved away from July for the biggest titles

So a film debuting near $200 million in a month like February is insane! Maybe Silver And Black should be the next big marvel hit in February next year or New Mutants. 

Peter Rabbit’s hold is very strong and should see a total of around $85 million domestic. 

Fifty Shades Freed’s hold was identical to Darker’s hold. $100 million still in the table anyone? Universal’s 2018 should be strong though both domestic and international. Although their next film will bomb. 

5 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

The January and October OW records must be in sight for Disney or another studio to smash. October's is more likely than January's IMO 

Venom has a shot if it’s good and it doesn’t do any BS like with that trailer. Halloween is a 50/50. 

January is fough. They may have a better shot in November more than anything 

1 minute ago, feasby007 said:

Venom's best case scenario is probably Gravity numbers at best, I suspect it'll be more like high 40s. Mowgli is iffy, it's been in the can for so long because of the VFX that its moment has passed. 

4 minutes ago, Chewy said:

January always bare because studios sched they bigger releases for late Dec

May is falling again this year

It's interesting that studios have moved away from July for the biggest titles

I'd say July doesn't look too bad! Ant-Man and the Wasp should surely be able to garner $250m+, Skyscraper is the latest Rock flick which could pull $200m+ as well, then you have Mamma Mia 2, which is obviously gonna open bigger than Infinity War, and Tom Cruise's MI6, which is another summer flick which should do half decently at least. (Or flop like mummy domestically)

Also how could I forget The First Purge, definitely going to be horror of the year...

Edited by feasby007