grim22

Jurassic World: Dominion | June 10 2022 | 6th Most Profitable Movie of 2023

Both JW had one round re-expansion around LD weekend but that was when window was longer. By the time of LD this week, JWD will be in its 13th weekend, not sure if Universal will still be interested reexpand the movie that late or the re-expansion will take place earlier just before Peacock. 

I was just comparing JW3 and Doctor Strange 2 and saw a lot of similarities at this stage of their runs but also evidence that Jurassic is running slightly better. Every day during its third week, Jurassic saw slightly better daily numbers, was about $300K more during its 4th weekend and yet again running slightly better daily numbers during its fourth week. Doctor Strange 2 had a $9.17 million 5th weekend and most projections I see seem to think JW3 will do $9-10 million this weekend. Which again puts it right with or very slightly ahead of DS2. At day 27 JW3 is at $340.3 million and DS2 was at $378.1 million and now is at $410.7 million (a total of $32.6 million more after day 27). So assuming JW3 follows DS2 exactly the same the rest of the way or slightly better (as it has been the last 9-10 days), that seems to put JW3's final total around $373-380 million. Does that seem like the realistic track it is on?

6 hours ago, Borobudur said:

Both JW had one round re-expansion around LD weekend but that was when window was longer. By the time of LD this week, JWD will be in its 13th weekend, not sure if Universal will still be interested reexpand the movie that late or the re-expansion will take place earlier just before Peacock. 

Even if they expand it to 1000+ screens it won't make more than $300-500k because it will be available for rent by then. Not sure if they're even going to try to expand it again.

Just watched it, really liked it, it's good, entertaining film, had pleasent time watching it.

Legacy characters were handled well and with respect. 

Much much better film than Fallen Kingdom. 

I don’t get why this film got such bad reviews, it's certainly not "30% tomatometer level" bad film. 

• Like 1

Boy did they rush that home video release. It is a horrible film though. Screenplay is beyond ridiculous, and I really came with low expectations knowing it was going to be a mess. "Fallen Kingdom" is a filmmaking masterclass compared to this rubbish. I am a big fan of the entire franchise, and even like the trashy sequels, but the major problem with this one is that it's a boring 2,5 hrs long poorly directed mess of a film that doesn't even address it's main plot as it should. I'm not going to mention the scientific and logical mistakes because it would take me an hour to type it all down. I just can't believe that executives read this script and said - "Yes, let's do it. That's it!". Always glad when a Jurassic project makes money, but come the f on...

2 minutes ago, ViktorLosAngeles said:

Boy did they rush that home video release. It is a horrible film though. Screenplay is beyond ridiculous, and I really came with low expectations knowing it was going to be a mess. "Fallen Kingdom" is a filmmaking masterclass compared to this rubbish. I am a big fan of the entire franchise, and even like the trashy sequels, but the major problem with this one is that it's a boring 2,5 hrs long poorly directed mess of a film that doesn't even address it's main plot as it should. I'm not going to mention the scientific and logical mistakes because it would take me an hour to type it all down. I just can't believe that executives read this script and said - "Yes, let's do it. That's it!". Always glad when a Jurassic project makes money, but come the f on...

But this Jurassic project isn't even making money.

Atleast not upto the extent it should have.

I thought Universal made a statement about that a movie open to above 50m will debut on PVOD after 30 days but this policy exclude JWD and Minion2 ? Apparently the so called exclusion only mean extra 5 days. Still, I don't foresee PVOD to have huge impact, but given that movie is on the edge of $1bn, a few millions can mean a different. 

1 minute ago, titanic2187 said:

I thought Universal made a statement about that a movie open to above 50m will debut on PVOD after 30 days but this policy exclude JWD and Minion2 ? Apparently the so called exclusion only mean extra 5 days. Still, I don't foresee PVOD to have huge impact, but given that movie is on the edge of $1bn, a few millions can mean a different. 

Nah, that was about peacock.

They had no policy about PVOD.

Anyways no one is spending that much money to watch a movie like JWD on PVOD, especially when it'll be out on streaming in few weeks anyways, although there could be little Impact.

But real impact will be known after it comes on Peacock.

13 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

But this Jurassic project isn't even making money.

Atleast not upto the extent it should have.

Well, the word of mouth was horrible left and right (for a reason). I would say that the money it already made is a success, and if it comes near 1 billion, then wow, they sold a crap for a billion, literally.

44 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Nah, that was about peacock.

They had no policy about PVOD.

Anyways no one is spending that much money to watch a movie like JWD on PVOD, especially when it'll be out on streaming in few weeks anyways, although there could be little Impact.

But real impact will be known after it comes on Peacock.

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/11/universal-theatrical-windows-cinemark-amc-gross-1234599110/

That policy is applied to PVOD, not Peacock. 

Per an official statement on behalf of Universal and Cinemark: “The agreement includes at least three full weekends (17 days) of theatrical exclusivity for all Universal Pictures and Focus Features theatrical releases, at which time the studio will have the option to make its titles available across premium video on demand (PVOD) platforms. Under the terms of the deal, any title that opens to $50 million or more, including many franchise titles, will play exclusively in theaters for at least five full weekends (31 days) before the title may become available on PVOD.”

On 7/9/2022 at 3:27 AM, titanic2187 said:

They also mentioned the movie will come to Peacock as early as 45 days after the release. But since they only come to PVOD on 35 days, this would mean only 10 days PVOD window to Peacock and it doesn't make sense. I don't think JWD will debut on Peacock this early. Some treatment like TBG is more likely in this case.  

13 minutes ago, ViktorLosAngeles said:

Why are they rushing this ti PVOD so fast?

spongebob squarepants interview GIF

This quote from the president of Blumhouse pretty much sums it up more succinctly than I can articulate:

Abhijay Prakash, president, Blumhouse:

“Second, most of these titles are also delivering profitable returns through a business model that manages film costs and captures the residual heat from the theatrical marketing and strong word-of-mouth and converts it into revenue via accelerated downstream windows like PVOD and streaming subscriptions. Though it may not be publicly reported, the underlying economic reality of the business model for these films is that streaming can help sustain theatrical.”

Source: https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/newsletter/2022-07-12/wide-shot-box-office-myth-busters-the-wide-shot

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

This entire thread is insane.

Was Treverrow asleep behind the monitor

Yeah the editing on this film is Baaaaaaaaaaad. Im obviously way too biased to care too much about that but its obvious when you watch the film that the editing needed a lot more time/a way different approach.

Edited by Brainbug

I finally saw Jurassic World: Dominion and I know I’m in a minority on this (since I’m aware of the flaws and how the film is for most other folks), but….screw the haters, lol. I really genuinely adore this one and had such a huge blast. I know this one’s not many people’s (and I do mean “many”) cup of tea, but I found the many good (great even) moments to overshadow the few bad ones. 

As many die-hard Jurassic lovers pointed out, the return of the OG trio JP characters together like Alan Grant, Ellie Sattler & Ian Malcolm, is such a delight. And the original cast really delivered here. Even the JW characters are very engaging as well. I really liked Owen, Claire & Maisie with the roles they have. Especially Maisie being one of the better & endearing kid/teen characters in the Jurassic franchise alongside Tim & Lex from the first Jurassic Park.

The action (even the dino-action) here was very well-used here. I know there are some complaints of it being either too much or lack of it, but I think there was necessarily enough action to also make room for the more tender, calmer and even tense moments in the film.

The dinos themselves are also well used enough here. At times there’s CGI (though great-looking ones) and other times they’re done practically like the dinos more close to the characters. It was cool to see both old & new dinosaurs in the film. Rexy was cool as always & Blue and it’s offspring Beta were fun to see. The Giganotosaurus was a really menacing & threatening Dino-villain (in a cool way) up there with Spinosaurus & Indominus Rex amongst one of the top Jurassic Dino baddies. Even the herbivorous dinos are put to good use here.

Also…I’m aware of the backlash the film got due to the aspect of locusts, but to be honest…I didn’t mind the locusts in the film. I think they serve enough as a threat to what happens if we humans aren’t careful. I think it served as a new & interesting thing we haven’t seen before in any of the previous five films.

Then there’s the epicly awesome battle between Rexy & Therizinosaurus vs the Giganotosaurus in the climax. And while it’s not as grandiose & earth-shaking as the battle against the Indominus Rex from the fourth film, this one is still one of the most suspenseful & breathtaking dino-fights in the entire Jurassic franchise. I rooted for Rexy to win and not to die, and thank god she stayed alive.

All in all…I can understand why some folks don’t like the film or so (and it’s perfectly fine), but I don’t think it deserved the severe hate it got, at all. So I short, I loved it. Is it the first JP? No. But is it really worth watching as a Jurassic fan & as a general dinosaur fan and who wants to see cool dinos and engaging human protagonist characters? Yes.

Overall, a very satisfying conclusion of the Jurassic World-films. And a true defender of it.

My score for this, is a strong enough:

A

9/10.

@Brainbug

If you see this, the great news are that i’m in the group of those who really liked this one as another fun Jurassic World-entry in the entire Jurassic franchise. You got yourself another true fan of this film. 💁🏻‍♀️👍🏻

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34
  • Like 2