Alli

Weekend Thread | Estimates per BOM ~ BP 65.7M, RS 17M, DW 13M, GN 10.7M, PR 10M, ANL 5.65M, J:WTTJ 4.5M, FSF 3.3M, TGS 2.68M

I feel like we've seen a bit more versatility from Stone at this point than Lawrence. I mean if you look at Stone's 4 titles that pop up in her "known for" on IMDB, those are all vastly different roles and she excelled at all of them. J Law is a bit too stuck to a certain kind of dramatic role, typically with a darker edge. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Sliver Legion said:

This is in Jurassic Park, The Lion King, Titanic, and ... ?   

E.T and Star Wars both get there in rereleases. Is it those three in addition to Jumanji, or did I just miss one.

Edit: Jurassic Park and The Lion Kind also get there in the rereleases, actually. I have 5 total and only Titanic in original release.

Whoops, yeah, 5 in all.  Re-releases screw it up, but to be fair all of their original releases adjust to over $400...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

I feel like we've seen a bit more versatility from Stone at this point than Lawrence. I mean if you look at Stone's 4 titles that pop up in her "known for" on IMDB, those are all vastly different roles and she excelled at all of them. J Law is a bit too stuck to a certain kind of dramatic role, typically with a darker edge. 

Is she though? Her last three roles are all pretty different.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Is she though? Her last three roles are all pretty different.

I would consider at least 2 of those 3 dramatic roles with a darker edge...

Who knows what Passengers was, lol. 

Edited by MovieMan89

31 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

Whoops, yeah, 5 in all.  Re-releases screw it up, but to be fair all of their original releases adjust to over $400...

Jurassic Park and The Lion King also adjust out of a <55 opening — although Star Wars and E.T. still qualify adjusted.

58 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Emma Stone can do things Jlaw can't and vice versa, very different animals acting wise, charisma wise and beauty wise.

But they are definitely the two most talented actresses of their generation, and BFFs.

As annoying as you usually are, this is true.

2 hours ago, Mr Impossible said:

I don’t know about you guys but I see almost no buzz for Ready Player One. Don’t see a $50M+ OW at all it could turn out like BR 2049 in terms of being a surprise boxoffice flop. 

Surprise? :jeb!:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mr Impossible said:

I don’t know about you guys but I see almost no buzz for Ready Player One. Don’t see a $50M+ OW at all it could turn out like BR 2049 in terms of being a surprise boxoffice flop. 

I agree with your observation. I go to the movies a lot. The trailer runs continuously. But I don't think its catching on. No buzz. I think many movie goers will find the concept/storyline confusing and uninteresting. The movie's story certainly hasn't caught on with me. I always think to myself...  If I'm not excited about this, how does the movie find a large audience?

Some interesting notes on the Fox Searchlight BP nominees this year: http://deadline.com/2018/03/oscar-best-picture-winner-shape-of-water-three-billboards-get-out-box-office-boost-1202308939/

If Shape of Water wins tomorrow, the TC next week will be over 1k theaters, while if 3B wins, that TC will be around 900.

Shape of Water has been pulling in an even amount of people over and under 40 since nominations came out

Both movies had an over-25 share between 76-80% in their first week

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

Well, that's the numerator.   :bravo:

But to check what I asked we'd also need the denominator. 

BOM has 170 movies opening between 40 and 60, and 1796 opening between 55 and 10 (don’t list below 10).   So depending on which range of openings you want and whether you count getting to 400 on a rerelease, either 1/170, 5/170, 1/1796, or 5/1796 (not counting Jumanji for any of those, since it has not yet crossed 400).

• Like 1

David Ogden Stiers, Major Winchester on ‘MASH,’ Dies at 75 (Variety)

David Ogden Stiers, best known for his role as the arrogant surgeon Major Charles Emerson Winchester III on “MASH,” died Saturday. He was 75.

His agent, Mitchell K. Stubbs, tweeted that he died of bladder cancer at his home in Newport, Ore.

For his work on “MASH,” Stiers was twice Emmy nominated for outstanding supporting actor in a comedy or variety or music series, in 1981 and 1982, and he earned a third Emmy nomination for his performance in NBC miniseries “The First Olympics: Athens 1896” as William Milligan Sloane, the founder of the U.S. Olympic Committee.

The actor, with his educated, resonant intonations — though he did not share Major Winchester’s Boston Brahmin accent — was much in demand for narration and voiceover work, and for efforts as the narrator and as of Disney’s enormous hit animated film “Beauty and the Beast,” he shared a Grammy win for best recording for children and another nomination for album of the year.

:(:(:(

• Sad 11