grim22

90th Annual Academy Awards | Live Discussion Thread | Ceremony starts now

10 minutes ago, Telehilation said:

I don't think the war montage was NRA pandering. It was a salute the troops moment -- not that uncommon. Plus, it gave us a chance to see Wes Studi up there!

Guns shooting in a movie = NRA Pandering to some idiots. 

Why Cant Black Panther be nominated for Best Picture? 

Nothing indicates the best Picture nominees have to be actually great films. 

It Ticks the progressive box with its social/ racial themes. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

Just now, Lordmandeep said:

Why Cant  Black Panther be nominated for Best Pictire.

Nothing indicates the best Picture has to be an amazing all time.

yes, we live in a post "fish fucking wins best picture" world now nothing about black panther is too outlandish. i think the media is gonna spend all year pushing for it the same way they did with get out last year.

• Like 1

I think, besides the movie screening segment, Kimmel played it surprisingly straight for the most part. Even the opening monologue wasn’t as funny as I expected. Guess he was try to avoid being flippant (understandable), but also didn’t want to be insulting. Oh well, another year, another Oscars. Maybe they’ll get Ellen for next year. 

9 hours ago, MrPink said:

So @CJohn was absolutely sure Get Out would win Best Picture and bet his entire Blu-Ray collection on it.

My Blu-Ray collection now shames yours, @WrathOfHan

@WrathOfHan He now owns over 600 Blurays and DVDs. That is a lot to catch up to.

Including two editions of JL :sparta:

• Haha 2
  • Astonished 1

8 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Why Cant Black Panther be nominated for Best Picture? 

Nothing indicates the best Picture nominees have to be actually great films. 

Darkness rises, and the Light to meet it....So to When conservative rises, the liberal to meet it.....

Oscar realize they can't just keep themselves in the circle or being isolationist, they must consistently interact with the social environment. Film is not a fantasy world to them, for film lovers to just live peaceful inside, while ignoring the reality of the outside world. 

They are a bit too far recently but considering the matching power from the president Trump, I do think balance is here holistically.

I am totally agree with the criteria when they picked best picture with social commentary or consciousness. And with SOW was placed ahead of 3billboard, I didn't see they are too politicize the oscar too, as 3 billboard is the most representative/politically charged film this year.

They even picked get out as best screenplay winner, a movie condemning about west-wing/progressive racism.....

I don't understand the hate to oscar of being too political, do you even realize or even appreciate/grateful with the extent of freedom that american posses? These kind of films with social consciousness and keep movie lovers from looking like nerd would never be made or permitted in many 3rd world countries! 

1 hour ago, Jake Gittes said:

Evidently. The scars on her neck are practically the first thing we see of her. And her backstory is plainly told.

The scars on her neck are to cut her voice, they're not gills. But I dont remember her back story. the whole movie was pretty forgettable actually.

23 minutes ago, Deja23 said:

I think, besides the movie screening segment, Kimmel played it surprisingly straight for the most part. Even the opening monologue wasn’t as funny as I expected. Guess he was try to avoid being flippant (understandable), but also didn’t want to be insulting. Oh well, another year, another Oscars. Maybe they’ll get Ellen for next year. 

Being an Oscar host has become a gig that most don't really care about or pay attention to (unless you completely bomb at it like Neil Patrick Harris did). They'll probably go with Kimmel yet again next year cause it's convenient with his ABC ties and all.

41 minutes ago, AJG said:

Deadline are saying it was an All Time Low.

There were several moments when I thought, "The ratings are going to be so terrible". I was listening to a podcast during the second half, glancing up at the muted TV to see who won.