Eric Duncan

Weekend Box Office: Actuals (Page 55): BP $26.6M TR $23.7M ICOI $17.1M AWIT $16.3M LS $11.8M, PR crosses $100M, Jumanji crosses $400M

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

That makes it the biggest single domestic release of all time, by the way. That's what I love about James 'Jim' Cameron, an incredible acheivement to make the highest grossing film of all time with his own original scripts and no franchise or book to gain hype from... not once... but twice though?

there are four films that you are forgetting my friend

I.... just found out that I Can Only Imagine recieved an A+ CinemaScore. Wow. Must've really pleased those church going white haired men who pray to dem Lawd every day.

I mean, CinemaScore isn't the best evidence for much of anything, but an A+ is pretty telling tbh. (Pretty sure this is like the 5th one in 5 months, between it, Love, Simon, Black Panther, Coco and Wonder.)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

SO TLJ made less than 30 million dollars after a month while SW7 made 85 million lol 

Those legs

Well it had short legs relative to December and even Star Wars movies in general. 

22 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I.... just found out that I Can Only Imagine recieved an A+ CinemaScore. Wow. Must've really pleased those church going white haired men who pray to dem Lawd every day.

I mean, CinemaScore isn't the best evidence for much of anything, but an A+ is pretty telling tbh. (Pretty sure this is like the 5th one in 5 months, between it, Love, Simon, Black Panther, Coco and Wonder.)

A sub 20% hold or lower is probably coming next weekend. WOM seems to be spreading like wildfire with Christians. Once they hop on a bandwagon en masse, there ain't no slowing it down. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

A sub 20% hold or lower is probably coming next weekend. WOM seems to be spreading like wildfire with Christians. Once they hop on a bandwagon en masse, there ain't no slowing it down. 

If it expands, I might agree...but these faith-based (or music band fan) moviegoers don't tend to repeatedly view movies, and another big faith-based movie is opening, probably on the same 1600 theater screens...it might be zero-sum competition for those movie goers, since I don't see them seeing 2 movies in 1 weekend:)... 

PS - But last week, I did say ICOI could be the mini-Wonder for dads and their kids, so maybe I shouldn't doubt myself:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

If it expands, I might agree...but these faith-based (or music band fan) moviegoers don't tend to repeatedly view movies, and another big faith-based movie is opening, probably on the same 1600 theater screens...it might be zero-sum competition for those movie goers, since I don't see them seeing 2 movies in 1 weekend:)... 

PS - But last week, I did say ICOI could be the mini-Wonder for dads and their kids, so maybe I shouldn't doubt myself:)...

If ICOI takes over the churchgoing watercooler talk this week, then it could be hard for Paul to get their attention. Again, once that crowd latches onto something, they latch onto something. Besides, we already saw with Samson that perhaps straight up Biblical Christian movies aren't the most appealing to them these days. They seem to like the modern faith based stuff. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I imagine Gringo and Hurricane Heist will both have a week 3 theater count annihilation (and that could help Annihilation and some others theater count next weekend)....

They're both going to lose a huge number of theaters, but they probably won't help the other holdovers too much. They're already down to a single showing a day at many locations, so theaters will still have to dump other old releases to make way for the new movies.

32 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I am starting to believe that there might be some self-sorting at play with these Cinemascores. Except for possibly Wonder, each of the other four films played heavily to the target audiences for the film. The audiences who rushed out to see those films on opening night were predisposed to like those films no matter what, although the good reviews for Coco, BP and LS certainly helped. People not likely to enjoy those films probably stayed away on opening night thus not impacting the grade.

It is going to be very interesting to see what sort of legs sprout for both ICOI and LS. Will other audiences show up once the supply of the core audience has been exhausted?

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

If ICOI takes over the churchgoing watercooler talk this week, then it could be hard for Paul to get their attention. Again, once that crowd latches onto something, they latch onto something. Besides, we already saw with Samson that perhaps straight up Biblical Christian movies aren't the most appealing to them these days. They seem to like the modern faith based stuff. 

But there was a famous Samson movie before (and that OW choice was a disaster weekend to open)...

I do not recall there being a Paul movie ever...so it might have more appeal b/c of newness...it's also timely coming out during the week of the passion...I'm not sure (since I'm not a biblical scholar) when Samson would be timely:)...

And Paul's story is one of finding faith and conversion later in life - and going from persecuting to defending...it's an arc that done well can be very compelling onscreen...and that can translate past just religion...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

I am starting to believe that there might be some self-sorting at play with these Cinemascores. Except for possibly Wonder, each of the other four films played heavily to the target audiences for the film. The audiences who rushed out to see those films on opening night were predisposed to like those films no matter what, although the good reviews for Coco, BP and LS certainly helped. People not likely to enjoy those films probably stayed away on opening night thus not impacting the grade.

It is going to be very interesting to see what sort of legs sprout for both ICOI and LS. Will other audiences show up once the supply of the core audience has been exhausted?

You've caught up to some of my late December/early January posts with EmpireCity:)...welcome to the party, even at this late time:)...

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

But there was a famous Samson movie before (and that OW choice was a disaster weekend to open)...

I do not recall there being a Paul movie ever...so it might have more appeal b/c of newness...it's also timely coming out during the week of the passion...I'm not sure (since I'm not biblical scholar) when Samson would be timely:)...

And Paul's story is one of finding faith and conversion later in life - and going from persecuting to defending...it's an arc that done well can be very compelling onscreen...and that can translate past just religion...

The weekend its releasing will definitely boost Paul, no doubt. Just won't be surprised if ICOI steals most of its thunder is all. GND3 on the other hand might go sub 10m total based on the drop of the last one. Can't imagine much interest in that one. 

• Like 1