Eric Loves Rey

Weekend Box Office: Actuals (Page 55): BP $26.6M TR $23.7M ICOI $17.1M AWIT $16.3M LS $11.8M, PR crosses $100M, Jumanji crosses $400M

6 hours ago, Belle said:

Then 800, 900, 1 billion+, I personally think eventually though with the internet, streaming services and prices increasing slightly over years, eventually theaters may become the new Blockbuster and instead of tracking box office money we'll be tracking streaming counts or clicks or something. 

I don't see this happening in the foreseeable future, the movie industry will combat it and they've been saying this for ages.

They used to say the TV was going to ruin cinema, why would people go to the cinema when they could stay at home? The industry could have switched from movie theatres to movie channels but it didn't, they just made cinema's have exclusive showings before those at home had access to it.

every time I go to the theater, people are eating popcorn.  That means the theater is very much alive.  I would never want to double my ticket price purchasing that crap!

*^^ - people have lots of money to spend

Edited by Thematrixfilm
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Mad Panda said:

Thank you for this relevant information about a 10 year old movie no one was aware of!

1) 8 years and 3 months

2) It's relevant to the 5 weeks at #1 talk

3) Avatar 2 is currently the biggest known release, don't play Avatar off like it's not relevant.

• Like 3

Guys the writing is on the wall for Theaters with technology, piracy and inflation.   Hollywood will have to do more or this could end up like a "Blockbuster Video" situation if they don't adapt.   People have more entertainment options than the 80's and 90's.  Shoot people have more entertainment options since the last 10 years even.  Even Spielberg and Lucas said the Theater model will have to change or it will lose to the internet.  I mean we all track box office and we all talk about how tickets sold continues to drop year after year.  Movies are also in the theater much shorter.   20 years ago when I was in high school, Movies were still getting 6 months or more in the theater. 

500, 600 and 700 are still very hard to achieve regardless of how many have done it in the last 3 years.  All those films had built in fanbases to do it.  "Star Wars" and "Jurassic Park" had a Decade plus wait time built in and tapped in many different age demos.  "Avengers" was the 1st of it's kind being a team up film.  "Rogue One" and "The Last Jedi" both kept most of the "The Force Awakens" Audience to give them their great runs.  "Beauty and the Beast" got that Nostalgia Bump.  This idea that anything can get to 500, 600 or 700 just isn't true.  That's why what "Black Panther" is doing isn't easy at all especially in February.   The bottom line, theaters and Hollywood must adapt soon.  

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/steven-spielberg-predicts-implosion-film-567604

I hope theatres don't go away, because honestly, it's the only way I watch movies anymore. Like, if I don't watch something in theatres, then I'm unlikely ever to watch it. The home environment is just too distracting, so it's nice to be able to go somewhere where the option to stop and do something else is taken out of my hands.

• Like 6

47 minutes ago, lab276 said:

I hope theatres don't go away, because honestly, it's the only way I watch movies anymore. Like, if I don't watch something in theatres, then I'm unlikely ever to watch it. The home environment is just too distracting, so it's nice to be able to go somewhere where the option to stop and do something else is taken out of my hands.

I agree, I love going to the movies. I have plenty of technology at home but nothing beats seeing a new movie on a huge screen in  a public setting. Would be a shame if that experience went away. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

1) 8 years and 3 months

2) It's relevant to the 5 weeks at #1 talk

3) Avatar 2 is currently the biggest known release, don't play Avatar off like it's not relevant.

That was said mostly because you always seem to try to bring Avatar into the discussion?

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

I agree, I love going to the movies. I have plenty of technology at home but nothing beats seeing a new movie on a huge screen in  a public setting. Would be a shame if that experience went away. 

It's not going to go away. But it's true that different forms of entertainment have their highs and lows. 

Digital music has demolished vinyl but you can still buy vinyls if you so desire, they're just more expensive. 

Theatre used to be much more popular and average people went regularly, now with movies and TV it's much less popular but if you seek it out you can go to the theatre. It's just more expensive.

etc

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Treetanic said:

It's not going to go away. But it's true that different forms of entertainment have their highs and lows. 

Digital music has demolished vinyl but you can still buy vinyls if you so desire, they're just more expensive. 

Theatre used to be much more popular and average people went regularly, now with movies and TV it's much less popular but if you seek it out you can go to the theatre. It's just more expensive.

etc

I'm not sure which is a better comparison

Digital music to Vinyls or,

Digital music to concerts

1 minute ago, Treetanic said:

etc

Vinyls are actually getting more popular lately if we go by # of them being printed/sold. #ThanksHipsters

5 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

They used to say the TV was going to ruin cinema, why would people go to the cinema when they could stay at home?

TV did massively change the cinema theater business and destroyed attendance (urban sprawling going on at the same time probably had a role and the government anti-trust law ending the golden era of studios also, but TV was harsh and the main factor, nothing changed ticket sales really since TV in the late 40s, early 1950 depending of the country)

cinema-admissions.png

atlas_SyRgEzVO.png

TV transformed theater from 70% of the population or more was going at least one time a week, to 90 million ticket sold a week in is peak to be a major american expense to only 2% of the entertainment budget and really rare event since the 60s.

To being presented news real and other public service at the same time as movies, TV would destroy cinemas fear cannot be just tossed by the hand because it kind of did and got really close to do it completely, opera still exist and will maybe always will but effectively they have been "ruined" and irrelevant, anything having 35% the impact of TV on theater again would ruin it.

Nothing that ever came since TV got any close of the massive difference from nothing at all to everyone having television set (netflix vs hbo or other service on demand.... it is practically the same) and nothing in views short time either to change attendance, it would require an other massive change, say super VR headset more comfortable than watching tv and reproducing a close to the group crowd experience or something, but after a century of people preferring watching regular 2D screen to everything else it is unlikely.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

1 hour ago, lab276 said:

I think more and more people being seriously dependent to the Internet and needing the theatrical experience to not watch their phone during a movie could help it, many people find they never like a movie if they watch it at home (because they never really achieved to watch it correctly)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Barnack said:

TV did massively changed the cinema theater and destroyed attendance (urban sprawling going on at the same time probably a role also but TV was harsh, nothing changed ticket sales really since TV:)

cinema-admissions.png

atlas_SyRgEzVO.png

TV transformed theater from 70% of the population or more was going at least one time a week, to 90 million ticket sold a week in is peak to be a major american expense to only 2% of the entertainment budget and really rare event.

To being presented news real and other public service at the same time as movies, TV would destroy cinemas fear cannot be just tossed by the hand because it kind of did and got really close to do it completely, opera still exist and will maybe always will but effectively they have been "ruined" and irrelevant, anything having 35% the impact of TV on theater again would ruin it.

Oh wow, history with Barnack, enjoyable. Makes you wonder why people compare gone with the wind to current films...

• Like 1

It is still 2+ hours until today’s first showing of ICOI at the same theater I was partially tracking yesterday and the film has already sold 24 of 64 seats. It is just a very short matter of time before it surpasses TR in the dailies. 

1 hour ago, filmscholar said:

Guys the writing is on the wall for Theaters with technology, piracy and inflation.   Hollywood will have to do more or this could end up like a "Blockbuster Video" situation if they don't adapt.   People have more entertainment options than the 80's and 90's.  Shoot people have more entertainment options since the last 10 years even.  Even Spielberg and Lucas said the Theater model will have to change or it will lose to the internet.  I mean we all track box office and we all talk about how tickets sold continues to drop year after year.  Movies are also in the theater much shorter.   20 years ago when I was in high school, Movies were still getting 6 months or more in the theater. 

500, 600 and 700 are still very hard to achieve regardless of how many have done it in the last 3 years.  All those films had built in fanbases to do it.  "Star Wars" and "Jurassic Park" had a Decade plus wait time built in and tapped in many different age demos.  "Avengers" was the 1st of it's kind being a team up film.  "Rogue One" and "The Last Jedi" both kept most of the "The Force Awakens" Audience to give them their great runs.  "Beauty and the Beast" got that Nostalgia Bump.  This idea that anything can get to 500, 600 or 700 just isn't true.  That's why what "Black Panther" is doing isn't easy at all especially in February.   The bottom line, theaters and Hollywood must adapt soon.  

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/steven-spielberg-predicts-implosion-film-567604

No, it isn't at all.  The stupid comparisons to Blockbuster are completely misguided and that Spielberg article is going on 5 years old and none of it has materialized, and in fact has gone the opposite way.  

19 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Oh wow, history with Barnack, enjoyable. Makes you wonder why people compare gone with the wind to current films...

Part because is first theatrical run sold relative to is competition a very similar market share than say Star Wars, Titanic or E.T., you can still compare popularity by era by comparing how many ticket a movie sold versus the top 5 most popular movies of the 5 year's (2 year's before and after) of their time and so on.

There was not less studios movies to compete with and they were also released in a world with 70% of the population going to the theater 50 time a year to see how special Gone with the Wind phenomenon was.

That how people compare athlete of different year's, armies and pretty much everything that change over time.