Eric Duncan

Weekend Box Office: Actuals (Page 55): BP $26.6M TR $23.7M ICOI $17.1M AWIT $16.3M LS $11.8M, PR crosses $100M, Jumanji crosses $400M

On 2018-03-18 at 9:06 PM, Barnack said:

That because they accepted to have lost the battle and for that industry revenues to have gone down by more than 50%, spotify never made a cent. Is loss are growing and growing, with everything being free to listen to on youtube and spotify, piracy become a stranger concept yes:

spotifys-revenue-and-net-income.jpg

But yes, making it easier to access the library without destroying is value completely is what they are trying to solve. Movies need an artificial rarity created about them to maintain there values (if you think about it, make little sense to pay more for a new movie than an old one, it is all made up), offering 1000 old better than new one movies could hurt the artificial values giving to newer title, a bit of an hard act to balance (as well I would imagine all the different player's involved with each title with there own set of rules).

Amazon took a while to start making a profit too. So I'd give Spotify some more time, they're clearly still expanding.

As for people choosing older films over newer ones. The solution is simple: Make better movies. Okay, really the solution is to learn to live with how scarcity has changed. Twenty years ago, there was actual scarcity with home video. I remember renting Conan The Barbarian, discovering it was broken when I opened the case, and going back to the video rental place with it. The guy was upset, because that was, according to him, the only copy of Conan The Barbarian available for rental in the northern half of Sweden. In the 90s, that was a legit concept. Today, it is ludicrous. And movie studios can't stop this. All they can do is adapt, and present a better service than torrenting a film. Which a legit streaming service, with a good search interface, language and subtitle options etc, is. Because it is more convenient. And convenience is often more important than cost (otherwise there wouldn't be any pizza delivery places).

Edited by raniE
spelling corrections
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Harley said:

It's still stealing. It no different than walking out of a grocery store without paying for groceries and then donating to a soup kitchen/food bank. You still stole from the store which causes hardship for them thus loss of jobs.

But when you pirate you don't go to the store to begin with. You don't go in and literally steal a disc. It's more the equivalent of borrowing it from someone, the only difference is that this someone is a stranger on the internet rather than your friend. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, Harley said:

It's still stealing. It no different than walking out of a grocery store without paying for groceries and then donating to a soup kitchen/food bank. You still stole from the store which causes hardship for them thus loss of jobs.

I have no sympathy for any shops et cetera here in the UK, they all make it very easy for you to dislike them.

Also, there's no actual loss in my piracy. I would not give my money to the shop anyway. They didn't lose the money I wouldn't give them.

Edited by LaughingEvans
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, LaughingEvans said:

I have no sympathy for any shops et cetera here in the UK, they all make it very easy for you to dislike them.

Also, there's no actual loss in my piracy. I would not give my money to the shop anyway. They didn't lose the money I wouldn't give them.

Well when you get old enough you'll have to buy food, gas, clothes, etc somewhere and if you don't pay the sale price it's stealing. It's not borrowing or whatever. You can do what you want but at least own up to it. 

I  can only imagine is a huge song. It's been around for a long while. I can see why it did well plus it didn't seem to be promoting an agenda. At least what little I know of the movie itself. 

Edited by Harley
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Harley said:

Well when you get old enough you'll have to buy food, gas, clothes, etc somewhere and if you don't pay the sale price it's stealing. It's not borrowing or whatever. You can do what you want but at least own up to it. 

I  can only imagine is a huge song. It's been around for a long while. I can see why it did well plus it didn't seem to be promoting an agenda. At least what little I know of the movie itself. 

I imagine LaughingEvans probably approves of shoplifting as well.... 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Thematrixfilm said:

I cannot believe I Can Only Imagine did that well.  I took half of the God's Not Dead PTA and got 10M for the weekend.

Is ICOI receiving any repeat business? I didn't see much on Twitter to indicate such unlike with LS where a noticeable sample has seen it at least twice.

Edited by LonePirate

I hope Jumanji collapses next weekend thanks to the home video release and finishes its run like $500k short of Spider-Man. Would be hilarious. Sony should have paid attention to Fox when they postponed Showman's blu-ray release date.

Imagine being someone that tries to make Jumanji look like any kind failure. Sad.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

Is the film receiving any repeat business? I didn't see much on Twitter to indicate such unlike with LS where a noticeable sample have seen it at least twice.

I'm doubtful that the audience for faith-based films attends a single film multiple times unless it's a special case like Passion of the Christ.

Black Panther might do better on Sunday.  +10% from Friday gives 29% Sat to Sun drop.  27.45 weekend.

Tomb Raider makes 23.75 if it does 0.85 of Friday on Sunday.

I Can Only Imagine has the best estimated Sunday hold.  0.90 of Friday gives it 16.66 weekend and a 25.75% drop from Saturday

- 95% of Friday gives 16.90 weekend.

Love, Simon at 11.81 with 0.80 of Friday.

Game Night 0.9 Friday on Sunday = 5.67 weekend, up 0.1 from estimates.

Peter Rabbit up a little over 10% from Friday gives 5.25 weekend.

Strangers 2 already has an estimate that is close to 9/10ths of Friday.

Red Sparrow could go better at 95% Fri/Sun = up 0.07 for 4.52 weekend

edit* forgot Wrinkle in Time.  10% over Friday on Sunday gives it 16.65 weekend.

with a top ten looking like this, here are some predicted weekday totals to go along

Black Panther 27.45 + 10.45 = 616.28 total

Tomb Raider 23.75 + 7.50 = 31.25 total

I Can Only Imagine 16.90 + 6.50 = 23.40 total

A Wrinkle in Time - 16.65 + 5.70 = 66.84 total

Love, Simon - 11.81 + 4.19 = 16.00 total

Game Night - 5.67 + 2.33 = 56.60 total

Peter Rabbit - 5.25 + 1.75 = 104.24 total

Strangers 2 - 4.81 + 1.84 = 20.45 total

Red Sparrow - 4.52 + 1.90 = 41.55 total

Death Wish - 3.40 + 1.45 = 31.43 total

Edited by Thematrixfilm

Hey guys...this is like reaaaaally OT (so sorry to the moderators and sorry to everyone) but i really need to talk about this and i leave alone so i don't know where else i can talk about it right now (since everyone i know probably sleeps) and i just want to get it out...

So i ran over a cat today and i feel like shit.Iniτιally i didn't stop eιther (they were telling me but i was like  "no way") but a friend of mine ,who was driving behind me,saw it and called me.I didn't saw the cat coming and i didn't know about it until after the call but when i reached the cat she was already dead.

Anyway,i feel shit for both killing a cat and not stopping to do whatever i could.Maybe i should even be feeling shit for looking for some kind of justification online that i am a good person (and i obviosuly  can't judge that).At the end of the day,now i have killd something.And this is the worst.

I understand that this is way OT and i will understand if it gets deleted but i guess it helps until mornign.

Edited by TheDarkKnightOfSteel

I’m certainly not going to chastise people for pirating because I’ve done it in the past.  But because I know we have people on these boards that work in the industry or are trying to.  I don’t feel it’s right to do It going forward