Finnick

Weekend thread | Deadline Friday Est. (p.11) ~ PR:U 10.1M, BP 4.4M, ICOI 3.7M, TR 2.8M, SG 2.7M, AWIT 2.1M, L,S 2.3M, P,AOC 1.5M, MS 1.45M, GN 1.2M, U 1.3M

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

MoviePass. 

LOL only if we lived in a city and had the time. Biggest issue for us is that the theater is an hour away and it's around $80 in babysitting fees before we ever get to ticketing. No kids and city life? Sure moviepass would be great.

• Like 2

Safe to say it has not performed to some peoples expectations in China. (I include myself in that...)

especially since the movie was kind of made for that audience.

But I think even with bad legs in China it should mean it finishes over 300M. Probably not enough for another sequel but it's doing much better than most people here thought it was going to. 25M+ opening in the US alone is exceeding expectations.

6 minutes ago, Treetanic said:

Safe to say it has not performed to some peoples expectations in China. (I include myself in that...)

especially since the movie was kind of made for that audience.

But I think even with bad legs in China it should mean it finishes over 300M. Probably not enough for another sequel but it's doing much better than most people here thought it was going to. 25M+ opening in the US alone is exceeding expectations.

Yeah, China's performance is pretty lackluster considering its the sole reason the movie got made. Will likely only do $10-20m more than the first there 5 years ago. It's definitely not getting another sequel lol. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

China's performance is pretty lackluster considering its the sole reason the movie got made. Will likely only do $10-20m more than the first there 5 years ago. 

yeah I know. Dont really know how they've managed to fuck it up but apparently it's not been well received there. I really don't get it, they liked the first but not the second when they're pretty similar. They go crazy for Transformers but don't like Pacific Rim 2? Nope I don't understand.

31 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Yeah, China's performance is pretty lackluster considering its the sole reason the movie got made. Will likely only do $10-20m more than the first there 5 years ago. It's definitely not getting another sequel lol. 

I get the feeling Universal doesn't want a sequel either and probably didn't want PRU, they're only distributing it so they're in the clear financially but Legendary is lucky they have Jurassic World 2 and Mamma Mia 2 this year as both will cover the losses PR makes.

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

I get the feeling Universal doesn't want a sequel either and probably didn't want PRU, they're only distributing it so they're in the clear financially but Legendary is lucky they have Jurassic World 2 and Mamma Mia 2 this year as both will cover the losses PR makes.

They also have Skyscraper.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Definitely. AWiT is supposedly rather unfilmable book while The New Gods is likely more cinematic. So anyone else taking on AWiT would have had similar problems. I never read the book but I read Wiki synopsis and it was a mess. 

I think AWIT while not a great film proved Ava can handle a blockbuster and I think she'll be able to improve upon what she learned on Wrinkle with New Gods 

TR had a high drop but I think WB will break even on it and I suspect they care more about RPO and Rampage as both will likely break out.

Edited by Jonwo

3 minutes ago, StevenG said:

25% drop for ICOI?? Could it make it to 100 million?

The drop for ICOI is not as good as it seems given the 600+ theaters it gained this weekend. Still, the film is holding very well, no doubt about it. I don't think it hits $100M but $80M seems possible as it will be a little shy of $40M after this weekend. Paul doesn't seem to have hurt it much at all.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, The Futurist said:

Hollywood should invest 230m in a franchise/brand VFX movie and cast :

Liam Hemsworth

Scott Eastwood

Charlie Hunnam

Taylor Kitsch,

with a cameo from Dastan aka JG. 

24m OW confirmed.

You clearly have a thing for the most bland, basic white male actors, no?!:gold:

1 hour ago, LonePirate said:

The drop for ICOI is not as good as it seems given the 600+ theaters it gained this weekend. Still, the film is holding very well, no doubt about it. I don't think it hits $100M but $80M seems possible as it will be a little shy of $40M after this weekend. Paul doesn't seem to have hurt it much at all.

I wouldn't discount $100M yet...

1st, ICOI grew all last weekend from estimates, so it could go higher this weekend...

2nd, ICOI has now passed all the movies it opened with in BO this weekend - that means it will hold the screens the longest from all the openers last weekend (and probably this weekend, since I expect it to continue holding better than PR 2 is likely to hold) - where you might have thought theaters would have had an "easy drop" with it when the last of the faith based movies, God's Not Dead 3, opens next weekend, now it will stay at probably almost all the theaters it's at...

3rd, The next 2 weeks are now the spring breaks for the religious schools (Catholic, Friend, etc)...with Gnomes being DOA and Rabbit starting to hit cheap theaters, there could be room for ICOI to become a family choice for these weeks...

So, I would wait for the final weekend numbers and the drop through Easter weekend...I mean, it's possible even more theaters decide to book ICOI into their screens if it continues to run as hot as it has...

• Like 3