Finnick

Weekend thread | Deadline Friday Est. (p.11) ~ PR:U 10.1M, BP 4.4M, ICOI 3.7M, TR 2.8M, SG 2.7M, AWIT 2.1M, L,S 2.3M, P,AOC 1.5M, MS 1.45M, GN 1.2M, U 1.3M

13 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

This has been the worst March in years. Not a single movie will cross $100M except RP1.

Will end up bigger than March 2015, even though that month was pretty slow too.

9 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

We'll see. I think it needs to be opening to at least 35m for that.  

I think it's looking to do that, especially with the overall positive reviews (80% RT with 51 reviews). Tracking, for what it's worth, has it hitting that mark or more:

Hollywood Reporter: $35+M (3-day)

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/steven-spielbergs-ready-player-one-tracking-sluggish-35m-us-debut-1093028

Variety: $45-55M (4-day)

http://variety.com/2018/digital/news/ready-player-one-virtual-reality-vr-market-growth-catalyst-1202724167/

But those are from March 8th & 12th - don't know if there is more recent tracking available.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 2

Pacific Rim is actually doing much better than I thought it would. The first movie seemed hardly beloved even among del Toro fans (and the rest of the world seemed to have forgotten about it five years later), and this one looked like nothing more than a knock-off of Transformers (a franchise which crashed and burned with its most recent movie). It's still looking at a big drop-off, but I guess this was always gonna be more of an overseas play.

Sherlock Gnomes doing meh business isn't surprising since Gnomeo & Juliet was seven years ago. Paul is looking at okay start. Midnight Sun and Unsane are looking to be nonstarters as expected.

April is gonna make up for lame March. Rampage and RPO will be fun to follow before purple alien arrives pre-summer. Should also be possible to squeeze some humor out of Gnomes and PRU legs.

Just now, Fancyarcher said:

Gnomes was also a co-production with Paramount. 

Paramount Animation has really got to get their act together, only SpongeBob 2 was successful and that was a sequel. Amusement Park really need to be well for them next year. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Paramount Animation has really got to get their act together, only SpongeBob 2 was successful and that was a sequel. Amusement Park really need to be well for them next year. 

Idk if Amusement Park is happening next year as the director was recently replaced. However Loud House and Spongebob 3 will do good. Sonic can be a huge hit if done right but idk if that’s them.

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

They should learn from Sony and up their game from Gnomeo to Emoji and Peter Rabbit.

Can't wait until Ready Player One breaks out next weekend. It's going to be the only big movie besides Black Panther to get good reviews and should benefit from that and everything else flopping.

Of course Tomb Raider is not going to have a good drop, it's shown no signs of having good word of mouth. 

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

Especially if they want to make original animated movies. I think Sonic could be a big hit, I'm not sure about The Loud House however. 

• Like 2

April is going to be huge. Blockers and Quiet Place can do $100M+, IW is doing $200M+ OW, and Rampage will go bananas (if WB ramps up marketing, maybe this might pull a Kong sized OW but with stronger legs,

• Like 2

These new releases suck. Pacific Rim 2, even with overseas is a huge loss for Universal. 

Gnomes is Dead. 

So Ready Player One, and I Can Only Imagine may be the only hits of March. (unless you count Red Sparrow’s overseas). 

• Like 1

Just now, YourMother the Edgelord said:

April is going to be huge. Blockers and Quiet Place can do $100M+, IW is doing $200M+ OW, and Rampage will go bananas (if WB ramps up marketing, maybe this might pull a Kong sized OW but with stronger legs,

Lol, Rampage is all but guaranteed to have shitty legs. As if the nature of its genre wasn't a ding enough against its legs, it has a two week box office run. I agree the OW could go 50+, but multi will be no more than 2.5x 

However what I’ve learned these past few years with Gnomes, Ninjago, IA5, the underrated Storks and Underpants, The Star and other animated movies of their size is that if audiences aren’t appealed they won’t go even if there’s a dry period, especially with bad reviews and the power of Netflix nowadays. Peter Rabbit worked because reviews were decent and actually good. However after I2, it’s smooth sailing the only animated film at risk for $100M is Smallfoot (which won’t be big anyways) and maybe Animated Spider-Man.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord