Finnick

Weekend thread | Deadline Friday Est. (p.11) ~ PR:U 10.1M, BP 4.4M, ICOI 3.7M, TR 2.8M, SG 2.7M, AWIT 2.1M, L,S 2.3M, P,AOC 1.5M, MS 1.45M, GN 1.2M, U 1.3M

The one bright spot on the specialty scene this weekend is Wes Anderson’s Isle of Dogs from Fox Searchlight which currently owns the second-best opening theater average of the year with $46,8K after Black Panther’s $50K. The stop motion animated title earned $400K on Friday and is on track for a $1.26M opening at 27 theaters.

bill-murray.gif

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, POTUS said:

http://deadline.com/2018/03/pacific-rim-uprising-black-panther-weekend-box-office-1202352184/

‘Pacific Rim: Uprising’ Doesn’t Create Waves At $26M+; ‘Black Panther’ Sets Marvel Record & Beats ‘Avengers’

Similar to that Lara Croft movie, the Legendary/Universal title’s $26.6M domestic opening is so low next to its estimated $155M net production cost, the studios have no choice but to depend on foreign to bail them out. In addition, moviegoers had the same reaction to both movies with a B CinemaScore. We’ve seen this crash, bang, boom before, but in two different movies. They were titled Transformers and Godzilla.

Aside from Black Panther becoming the highest grossing Marvel movie ever at the domestic box office with $630.5M, this weekend has turned into a dumping ground for new entries at the box office, and publicists, don’t try to tell us otherwise. Seriously. The irony is that the openings for the other four wide releases are so bad, it just makes Pacific Rim Uprising’s three-day look glamorous.

Weekend grosses according to Deadline’s latest update:

Pacific Rim 2: $26.6M

Black Panther: $16.2M (implied weekend gross by saying total gross is now $630.5M)

I Can Only Imagine: $12.8M

Sherlock Gnomes: $9.7M

Paul, Apostle of Christ: $4.9M

Midnight Sun: $4M

Unsane: $3.5M

Isle of Dogs: $1.26M (46,800K PTA)

As usual, I trust the Deadline projections less when they don’t even provide Friday numbers - their weekend multipliers could be wonky.

Peace,

Mike

Edited by MikeQ
  • Like 2

- Back to back 50%+ drops for Wrinkle In Time. Should loose theaters 3rd weekend onward too. 100 dom or even 95+ looks very difficult.

- 26.6 looks optimistic for PRU with 10.1 friday imo. 2.35 + 7.75 + 9.3 (+20%) + 6.4 (-31%) = 25.8

• Like 2

Pacific Rim's opening would be solid if it had a 75mil budget instead of a 150mil one. It's screwed. ICOI will have a great drop and Love Simon a good one. Midnight Sun did terribly but it's starring a horrible actress and looks lame so of course it did. That animated movie flopping is hilarious. I thought it would open with twice that.

A Wrinkle in Time didn't recover this weekend. It has absolutely no chance of hitting 100mil. It will probably drop a lot of the theaters next weekend. 

Edited by Zakiyyah6

Good start for Isle of Dogs, but I was hoping it'd hit a 60k PTA

lmao @ Gnomes. I had a feeling it was going under 10M but didn't want to go for it. At least my 11.5M prediction is one of the lowest in the Derby. Theaters will be dropping it FAST

A shame that Unsane is debuting outside the top 10. If Soderbergh wasn't releasing movies himself, I wonder if Blumhouse would've picked this up. It would have made A LOT more with them, and they don't meddle around with directors.

Love, Simon should benefit from the low PTAs of Gnomes/WIT/Tomb Raider and retain most of its screens next week

Well...its not like Pacific Rim was a blockbuster 5 years ago...and that one had Del Toro, a bigger budget and a perfect spot summer release. I dont think its bad a 25m+ OW, not good either. What matters here is the overseas earnings and that one remains to be seen.. 70/250/320 wouldnt make it profitable but not a turd in the end. First Pacific Rim barely crossed 400 WW..

2 minutes ago, picores said:

Well...its not like Pacific Rim was a blockbuster 5 years ago...and that one had Del Toro, a bigger budget and a perfect spot summer release. I dont think its bad a 25m+ OW, not good either. What matters here is the overseas earnings and that one remains to be seen.. 70/250/320 wouldnt make it profitable but not a turd in the end. First Pacific Rim barely crossed 400 WW..

Yeah, 25+ ow a week back would have seemed like a little relief. But then China was expected to do around 150. Now that China is expected to be closer to 110 (maybe less), the 25+ dom ow is looking mellow. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, picores said:

The film was made because the studio wanted a franchise, not to just not lose a lot of money. If it only does 300mil then it is a failure.