Finnick

Weekend thread | Deadline Friday Est. (p.11) ~ PR:U 10.1M, BP 4.4M, ICOI 3.7M, TR 2.8M, SG 2.7M, AWIT 2.1M, L,S 2.3M, P,AOC 1.5M, MS 1.45M, GN 1.2M, U 1.3M

2 hours ago, Treetanic said:

I just watched Pacific Rim in IMAX and it was awesome. Got nothing else to do this evening so... attend the next showing in 5 minutes?

:sparta:

you literally like nothing, but like this movie? wthell?

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

All March "blockbusters" looked awful and had minimal buzz even within their built-in fandoms (game, book, sequel). At least RPO is getting decent reviews atm (could go down like PR:U). None of these movies is poised to crossover. Once core fans interested in them exhaust the demand, there's a nose dive. Also, BP is still stealing the audience due to WOM. 

RPO is actually getting pretty damn good reviews after starting with some pretty hateful ones. Quite a few raves in there.

Also it's trending up with 53 reviews so far; 19 of the last 20 were fresh with 4 perfect scores among them. PR:U started dropping way earlier than that.

I think it's breaking out next weekend.

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 2

Just now, The Futurist said:

What would be "breaking out" for Ready Player One exactly ?

:thinking:

The Martian type of run  would certainly be having entered break out territory (230m dbo, 630m W), but it is not obvious were to put the break out line exactly.

In a sense it is a bit of a low pre-establish IP, not a sequel movie, no star attach, but it is still a giant (some say $175m) Spielberg movie using a lot of genres and high awareness IP from other franchise element to attract people in, with a near record level theater count for a non sequel live action movie that topped the tv ad spending in late february and will be getting a giant push.

Making it not fully obvious were the break out success bar is, but it must be above 500m and The Martian at max (630).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Valonqar said:

All March "blockbusters" looked awful and had minimal buzz even within their built-in fandoms (game, book, sequel). At least RPO is getting decent reviews atm (could go down like PR:U). None of these movies is poised to crossover. Once core fans interested in them exhaust the demand, there's a nose dive. Also, BP is still stealing the audience due to WOM. 

This is still where I stand on RPO. Just don't see it having a lot of widespread appeal regardless of reception. I think OW is where most of the business will be. The marketing needed to do much better hooking casuals. The latest trailer was really the first time it stopped looking so niche in the marketing, but that was very late into its campaign. 

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

This is still where I stand on RPO. Just don't see it having a lot of widespread appeal regardless of reception. I think OW is where most of the business will be. The marketing needed to do much better hooking casuals. The latest trailer was really the first time it stopped looking so niche in the marketing, but that was very late into its campaign. 

Yup. I was always going to watch it cause Spielberg but I wasn't excited until that "dreamer" trailer. 

1 hour ago, JB33 said:

Saw UNSANE. Go see it! Genuinely unnerving, good performances, and brilliantly shot considering he used iPhones. 

Soderbergh is just one of those directors whose films have premises that just don't interest me. He's one of the best directors around and yet I've only seen half of his films. He hasn't made anything OMG great since the one-two-three punch of Traffic, Brockovich, and Ocean's 11. 

Edited by tonytr87