CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

1 minute ago, Hatebox said:

Am I the only person left on the internet who didn't hate TLJ? And did I not hate it precisely because I don't much care for Star Wars in general, so it felt like it was made for me?

No I liked it, but I feel like the only one that hates TFA with an intense passion.

4 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Am I the only person left on the internet who didn't hate TLJ? And did I not hate it precisely because I don't much care for Star Wars in general, so it felt like it was made for me?

Cool people like it.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, baumer said:

Do you really think Disney Cars all that much if Star Wars has the opening weekend record or Avengers as the opening weekend record? All the money goes to the same pockets.

No but I believe Marvel and Lucasfilms could be competitive in a friendly way since they are the two top franchises. And I do think this could inspire that whole team in a good way since 9 hasn't started filming yet (or I believe hasn't).

I think LucasFilm was low key genius for taking risks.

Even if TLJ "failed" there's only one way to go from here, up.

So even if SW9 and the new saga are only slightly above average in terms of popularity they win back a ton of fans and then some.

Think of Marvel's phase 2 vs phase 3.

Edited by grey ghost
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

The movie is widely adored by many, and hated by a sizable amount of people as well. I personally love this movie, I watched it yesterday again for the first time at home in 4k and it was glorious. And The Director And The Jedi docu makes it even better.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GirafficPark said:

No I liked it, but I feel like the only one that hates TFA with an intense passion.

I was extremely disappointed with it but I wouldn't call it hatred.

I always liked Star Wars and it's damn shame what Disney did to it so now it's time for me to move on from the franchise

9 minutes ago, jjack339 said:

he is right. I liked BP overall but I felt it was really put off by refer to every white person as a colonist. It is quite ignorant really. It would be like going to Thailand and asking about their violent Samurai past. Virtually all colonization was done by western Europe. So calling me a white person of Hungarian and Polish decent with some Irish and native American sprinkled in is about as stupid as the analogy I just gave. Also the antagostist was a massive racist and the movie once never condemned his views, just his method. 

That said, I really like Tchala and Shuri and I though Wakanda cool, kinda like a different type of Asgard. 

The CIA did have a hand in imperialism though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrice_Lumumba

https://news.vice.com/article/libyan-oil-gold-and-qaddafi-the-strange-email-sidney-blumenthal-sent-hillary-clinton-in-2011

Some of you guys really don't understand what BP is trying to say.

Edited by grey ghost
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Deja23 said:

They really had their plans shifted by Carrie Fisher’s death. Episode IX was to be her movie in the trilogy. I guess they wanted to honor her life by keeping what she filmed in TLJ and going along with Luke’s death instead. But I wonder if they regret not switching it and having Leia dead and Luke alive. All it would take is removing her scenes from when she woke up, or having her carrier be one of the ones blown up by the First Order. But that won’t work because Luke and Leia had to meet at some point. Guess we’ll find out in a year.

I totally get this but I don't think they should have killed either (had Carrie not unfortunately passed). If the plan was to kill off Luke in TLJ and Carrie in 9 (if these films are going by a pattern)....it just seems like a giant waste when there was still more story to tell. 

And I know they wanted to make this about the new cast from Marks interviews but I think they could have done it a lot better that satisfied more people.

I loved TLJ. Top Star Wars movie to me. I’m more of a recent Star Wars fan thanks to TFA, so Rey and Kylo are all I need to be interested in Ep IX, though Finn and Poe are okay too. It didn’t matter to me if Luke stayed alive or not, but it does to older fans apparently and that can impact the box office of Ep IX.

• Like 2

It is totally insane that the MCU released TWO fucking gigantic cultural phenomenons in the last 3 months. Mind-boggling.

And to think that all of this may have never happened if a little movie called Iron Man would have been a flop.

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 6

Just now, Deja23 said:

I loved TLJ. Top Star Wars movie to me. I’m more of a recent Star Wars fan thanks to TFA, so Rey and Kylo are all I need to be interested in Ep IX, though Finn and Poe are okay too. It didn’t matter to me if Luke stayed alive or not, but it does to older fans apparently and that can impact the box office of Ep IX.

I think that’s the problem. SW skews older than other franchises due to nostalgia. For kids/teens it’s definitely second to Marvel and maybe other stuff. 

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

It is totally insane that the MCU released TWO fucking gigantic cultural phenomenons in the last 3 months. Mind-boggling.

And to think that all of this may have never happened if a little movie called Iron Man would have been a flop.

that's it for the year

19 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

No, I definitely don't hate it and like others have said, there are people who are really passionate about their love for it. I see both sides arguments and can understand why people feel that way even though I necessarily don't. But damn, I see a lot of cherry picking in the "this film destroyed my childhood and ruined SW" side and flat out hypocrisy when it comes to Rey/Luke.

One thing I can agree on with both sides is cutting out the scene of Luke mourning Han was a really really stupid choice. That needed to be in the film and I can't come up with a reason for why they couldn't spare a minute.

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 1

Luke‘s end-off was perfectly executed in the movie, I couldn’t have asked for a better ending of his arc. Lecturing his nephew with wisdom and spirituality rather than fighting, paying the ultimate price the keep the spark alive to become the legend Rey and the galaxy need him to be. 

Edited by Giesi
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Not even their MCU follow-up released just six weeks later being a total "nobody cares" that even they probably don't remember making was enough to take down this ship.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

No, I definitely don't hate it and like others have said, there are people who are really passionate about their love for it. But I see both arguments and can understand why people feel that way even though I necessarily don't. 

One thing I can agree on with both sides is cutting out the scene of Luke mourning Han was a really really stupid choice. That needed to be in the film and I can't come up with a reason for why they couldn't spare a minute.

Bc rian Johnson, that’s why.