CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

6 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

It would also keep with the tradition of superhero movies breaking each 50M multiple barrier for OW:

Batman '89 was the first to have a >50M OW

Spider-Man for >100M

TDK for >150M

TA for >200M

And now hopefully IW for >250M

BOY 

y8p42rivuh7z.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, feasby007 said:

Yes, but it is unlikely that DH2 made more than $10m after Friday midnight. 

As I said in the second part of the post, it's a twisted system with all the previews and 6am-6am receipts rather than midnight to midnight like everything else

Why not? The shows attended Thur midnight to Friday 6 am did $43m.

Edited by TalismanRing

1 minute ago, baumer said:

So the only way Infinity Wars misses the opening weekend record is if it drops buy more than 28% on Sunday. I feel pretty confident in saying the opening weekend record is toast.

Yeah, no competition and spillover and repeat business should be strong. A lot of families probably waited.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, chenguonk said:

Speaking of a single natural day, I believe the record holder is Harry Potter DH2's 91M.

If DH2 made 91M on a single territory in a single day without previews/midnights, then yes. As it stands, Monster Hunt 2's 86M Sat in China seems to be the all-time record holder in BO history, but Infinity War DOM comes close at 82M (who knows how fair that comparison is, though, since I wouldn't be surprised if MH2 had a noticeably higher theater count to its advantage..... or not, I dunno).

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 1

Since I have tomorrow off, I'm going to the 9 p.m. show of infinity Wars this evening. I saw it on opening day with a packed theater with a bunch of little kids behind me talking and crying the whole way and that pissed me off. So I had to move down to one of the bottom five rows to watch the movie. Tonight hopefully it won't be as busy and there will be no screaming kids behind me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, baumer said:

Since I have tomorrow off, I'm going to the 9 p.m. show of infinity Wars this evening. I saw it on opening day with a packed theater with a bunch of little kids behind me talking and crying the whole way and that pissed me off. So I had to move down to one of the bottom five rows to watch the movie. Tonight hopefully it won't be as busy and there will be no screaming kids behind me.

There will be no kids Baumer, but i fear something different/similar will take their place.

giphy.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I really thought $247,966,675 was untouchable. Or at least I gave it several more years (perhaps ticket inflation and more IMAX, 3D theaters).

But say all you want, having Black Panther do an astonishing run and this movie now just a few months later did help with this number.

Whatever number this may end, I really now think it will be too big for any other movie.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

It would also keep with the tradition of superhero movies breaking each 50M multiple barrier for OW:

Batman '89 was the first to have a >50M OW

Spider-Man for >100M

TDK for >150M

TA for >200M

And now hopefully IW for >250M

How can you call yourself SpideyFreak and not remember Spider-Man 3 as the one breaking the 150M barrier? (especially when you did remember SM1) :P

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, baumer said:

Yeah I can wait a few days for the weeknight showings but I have a feeling the Dolby 5.1 showings will still be packed like they were for TLJ. 

I saw it preview night with pre ordered tickets way in advance but had to do a regular showing because Dolby was already full for all showings.

I couldn't hear some of the dialogue due to all the laughing. It actually reminded me a lot of seeing Avengers for the first time. But yeah...no way I was going again this weekend. I did that for the original Avengers in IMAX and still remember the line out of the theater. Too many people.

6 minutes ago, VGPOP said:

I really thought $247,966,675 was untouchable. Or at least I gave it several more years (perhaps ticket inflation and more IMAX, 3D theaters).

But say all you want, having Black Panther do an astonishing run and this movie now just a few months later did help with this number.

Whatever number this may end, I really now think it will be too big for any other movie.

I don't see Avengers 4 dropping much of this audience. As far as increasing...I dunno if awareness could be any higher then it already was here. The "Thanos demands your silence - please no spoilers" marketing campaign really sold it as something you have to see early. But for anything else, yeah. It takes an insane amount of hype to reach these types of numbers.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, VGPOP said:

Actually I think Avengers 4 could have a shot at breaking this.... though I doubt it, since IW was definitely positioned to blow up thanks to its 10 year buildup and the fresh meetings of all of these characters (Avengers/GOTG/Wakandians/Strange/Spidey). But on the other hand, I really do feel like the interest for A4 will be monumental based on how IW plays out. So who knows.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Actually I think Avengers 4 could have a shot at breaking this.... though I doubt it, since IW was definitely positioned to blow up thanks to its 10 year buildup and the fresh meetings of all of these characters (Avengers/GOTG/Wakandians/Strange/Spidey). But on the other hand, I really do feel like the interest for A4 will be monumental based on how IW will play out. So who knows.

Avengers 4 could be to Avengers 3 what PotC3 was to PotC2. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Actually I think Avengers 4 could have a shot at breaking this.... though I doubt it, since IW was definitely positioned to blow up thanks to its 10 year buildup and the fresh meetings of all of these characters (Avengers/GOTG/Wakandians/Strange/Spidey). But on the other hand, I really do feel like the interest for A4 will be monumental based on how IW will play out. So who knows.

Spoiler

The ending had many people groaning at my showing yesterday.