CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

12 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

@somebody85 After TLJ, I dunno what would it take for Star Wars to break the record again. Maybe a 10 year separation between Eps. IX and X, and X promotes the return of the then-old, now-new cast (Rey, Finn, Poe, etc.) next to another brand new cast alas Force Awakens? Plus, by whenever that comes out, inflation would be a lot higher, I presume.

That's the thing though. Outside of Rey and Kylo, I don't think the new cast has had anywhere close to the cultural impact of the original 3. TLJ was all marketed around Luke. He was the main draw as seen by all the posters. Rey was a big part as well but that was Lukes movie and TFA was Hans. "Chewie we're home" - that was the big selling point.

Now they just have Rey vs Kylo which we've already seen. Maybe Lucasfilms still has some tricks up it's sleeves. I hope so.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

So..... does that mean that it'll pull a 7-1 loss if it makes sub-200M? :P (I don't think it'll come sub 200, but I don't see much higher than Jurassic World numbers either tbh... I really don't think it has much of a hook, and it'll only pull 200 exclusively cause it's Star Wars and that brand alone is enough to cause mass hysteria).

It'll be at #2 on OW alone ;) Sadly for those who prefer IW to BP quality-wise (I think I liked BP a little more, but I enjoyed the fucking hell out of IW), it'll probably peak at #2, as I don't see it beating BP even with the record breaking OW. But I've seen stranger things, so..... yeah.

WOM and announcement that it broke the record for most money on OW will push IW over BP, I think.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mojoguy said:

I doubt Harrison Ford was ever going to do more than one new SW movie (TFA) anyway.

I mean that's true but I still don't understand why they wasted that opportunity to have Luke, Han and Leia together one more time. If it does come as a scene that was filmed back around TFA in 9, it will almost be too late now.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, YSLDC said:

WOM and announcement that it broke the record for most money on OW will push IW over BP, I think.

You think? It still needs a 2.8 multiplier off of a 250M OW to get to 700M, which BP will fall just O/U in range. BP had incredible legs, after all, and IW will probably take a 60%+ stumble next weekend, and another one on May 18-20 when Deadpool 2 opens (and that's tracking at 150M OW rn). Absolute top of the line case scenario for IW is a 2.45x imho, and that still sounds unrealistically optimist.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

Just now, LaughingEvans said:

Pretty sure he read the script outline and went "Just kill me off"

He'd been begging for it since Empire. He thought Han should have been killed at the end.

I won't say I don't mind they killed him off, I do, but I would have minded far less if he'd been used better and his end wasn't such a forced unemotional missed opportunity.

• Like 1

When do we get Saturday estimates? Cant be long.

Got to hand it to Marvel, they've had a few misses, but not really anything bad. I just realised as well that Black Panthers DOM gross is more than Man of Steel and BvS combined adjusted. If you has said that 10 years ago you would have been laughed off the internet.

15 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

maxresdefault.jpg

14 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

I can't wait to see Episode IX fall 7-1 in the semis.

11 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

So..... does that mean that it'll pull a 7-1 loss if it makes sub-200M? :P (I don't think it'll come sub 200, but I don't see much higher than Jurassic World numbers either tbh... I really don't think it has much of a hook, and it'll only pull 200 exclusively cause it's Star Wars and that brand alone is enough to cause mass hysteria).

It'll be at #2 on OW alone ;) Sadly for those who prefer IW to BP quality-wise (I think I liked BP a little more, but I enjoyed the fucking hell out of IW), it'll probably peak at #2, as I don't see it beating BP even with the record breaking OW. But I've seen stranger things, so..... yeah.

Yes after posting I realize the 7-1 jokes would come.

Still they’re the second favorite on the board this year.

But my point still stands

1 minute ago, GirafficPark said:

When do we get Saturday estimates? Cant be long.

Got to hand it to Marvel, they've had a few misses, but not really anything bad. I just realised as well that Black Panthers DOM gross is more than Man of Steel and BvS combined adjusted. If you has said that 10 years ago you would have been laughed off the internet.

We already have RTH's number. The studio estimates for the entire weekend will be in about two hours.

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

He'd been begging for it since Empire. He thought Han should have been killed at the end.

I won't say I don't mind they killed him off, I do, but I would have minded far less if he'd been used better and his end wasn't such a forced unemotional missed opportunity.

Oh I know. It just seems like they could have handled those characters so much better than they did. I really think keeping Luke out of TFA until the final frame was a mistake. 

And as far as the backstory of Luke, Han, etc. they've now written themselves into a corner and can't really go back and make films about what happened in that time period between ROTJ and TFA because it was supposed to be peaceful. So now, it all relies on the new cast and I don't see them alone pulling these insane OW numbers.

Like I've said a lot, I liked TLJ but I still see no reason why Luke had to die at the end.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Hard to imagine this not having better legs than CW at this point. Yes the OW is much higher, but the way it's being talked about is much more akin to the excitement of TA than CW.

Yeah, this has gone past being just another MCU movie to becoming a cultural phenomenon.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

If TFA loses the record (which is looking likely), Star Wars is going to have a hard time gaining it back now. Hopefully Lucasfilms treats it as an extreme challenge and ups their game. Competition, even from within, is never a bad thing.

Do you really think Disney Cares all that much if Star Wars has the opening weekend record or Avengers as the opening weekend record? All the money goes to the same pockets.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

That's the thing though. Outside of Rey and Kylo, I don't think the new cast has had anywhere close to the cultural impact of the original 3. TLJ was all marketed around Luke. He was the main draw as seen by all the posters. Rey was a big part as well but that was Lukes movie and TFA was Hans. "Chewie we're home" - that was the big selling point.

Now they just have Rey vs Kylo which we've already seen. Maybe Lucasfilms still has some tricks up it's sleeves. I hope so.

They really had their plans shifted by Carrie Fisher’s death. Episode IX was to be her movie in the trilogy. I guess they wanted to honor her life by keeping what she filmed in TLJ and going along with Luke’s death instead. But I wonder if they regret not switching it and having Leia dead and Luke alive. All it would take is removing her scenes from when she woke up, or having her carrier be one of the ones blown up by the First Order. But that won’t work because Luke and Leia had to meet at some point. Guess we’ll find out in a year.

And kudos to Marvel Studios for this weekend. I didn’t think IW would get the record, but here we are. Wild. The marketing really sold it as a must see event and they delivered. Any movie that has people crying at the end, but wanting more is going to have good WoM. We’ll see how the weekends drops play out, but $600m should happen unless it falls off a cliff. And that’s almost $100m more than I thought it would get. What a movie.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Deathlife said:

Bullshit. Just alt-right nonsense.

European madmen centuries ago almost annihilated (And in some cases succeeded) several indigenous people in several parts of the world. It's easy for you to sit down where ever you are to dismiss this but the truth is the truth. The effects of colonialism are still being felt today and frankly it's hilarious that you feel that the people who have been violated should just ignore this. For decades, western pop culture erased mentions of minorities, where were you guys when this nonsense happened?

Let's not even talk about segregation, one drop laws and more recently  "southern strategy" in the US which pretty much dehumanized black Americans. Its stuff like this that makes the anti-identity politics crowd look stupid because its always bern anout identity politics. So quoting ridiculous crime statistics doesn't help your case one bit.

Minorities celebrating themselves after centuries of oppression shouldnt offend anyone except the most petty of people (i still dont understand why some idiots get riled up at gay pride too).Black Panther was a celebration of black people and Africa, something that people like you are firmly opposed to because you feel excluded. Anyway, the world is changing and people like you will no place in a modern multi cultural society.

Anyway, I'm pretty excited by Infinity War's opening and I don't want to derail the thread because of one poster's bigoted drivel.

he is right. I liked BP overall but I felt it was really put off by refer to every white person as a colonist. It is quite ignorant really. It would be like going to Thailand and asking about their violent Samurai past. Virtually all colonization was done by western Europe. So calling me a white person of Hungarian and Polish decent with some Irish and native American sprinkled in is about as stupid as the analogy I just gave. Also the antagostist was a massive racist and the movie once never condemned his views, just his method. 

That said, I really like Tchala and Shuri and I though Wakanda cool, kinda like a different type of Asgard.