CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

Yes it looks to be this way, I don't know what Gitesh is on about when he says he expect $240m total after this $80m saturday

When did he say that? Did he say it after the 82 was reported? 

1 minute ago, eXtacy said:

I don't see how a bunch of shirtless huge buff men charging spirit bombs and firing laser beams at each other for half n hour can be good. Maybe another 10 years or Marvel introducing weird characters and Ill be convinced. 

tenor.gif?itemid=10838324

You can you not see the irony here?

Just now, baumer said:

When did he say that? Did he say it after the 82 was reported? 

"SAT for on track to drop about 25% from full opening day. I expected -20%. Still heading to massive SAT gross in $80M area. Opening wknd may end up close to $240M - 2nd biggest in history. Plus millions seeing trailers for upcoming summer movies. "

his tweet from 8 hours ago is what I was referring to

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Just getting up - $82M...Wow!  That is an awesome, awesome number!:)

Now, in 2 hours, here's hoping it's an awesome, awesome movie (but I'm keeping expectations in check...a little!:)

Take it from someone who has disliked a lot of marvel stuff. This one is really quite good.

• Like 2

Just now, baumer said:

Take it from someone who has disliked a lot of marvel stuff. This one is really quite good.

While it was definitely one of the best Marvel films it's still extremely limited by the formula it prides itself on.

• ...wtf 1

True, it depends if you think critics are entirely honest or not though. It seems to me that BP and WW got a boost because some critics just didnt have the balls to challenge the diversity police.

A superhero's first movie will always be more meaningful than another teamup movie.

BP and WW were historic moments, especially for their fans.

Edited by Mojoguy
  • ...wtf 1

3 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

You can you not see the irony here?

Oh there a definite similarities to comic book movies. You would just have to rework the source material so much. Maybe it could work but damn I would choose so many others before even thinking about DB.

My God,

$39M Thursday Previews

$66.97M True Friday

$82M Saturday (+22.4%)

Following Avengers $67.2M (-18%) Weekend $255.167M

Following Star Wars: The Force Awakens $72.7M (-11.3%) Weekend $260.667M

Following Jurassic World $67.3M (-17.9%) Weekend $255.267M

Following Black Panther $74.6M (-9%) Weekend $262.267M

2 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Nah Jim broke that tradition I'm sorry, Disney studios did not receive any congratulations from Jim when it become the highest grossing domestic film. He probably doesn't have any respect for Studio first cookie cutter film-making if I had to guess. (don't @ me on that its just speculation)

It's too far out to do now and I'll be doing the over $3b worldwide club as domestic is just a small part of the picture for me. I think you're treating audiences with disrespect, they definitely remember Avatar and the marketing buzz before it is going to be huge. People on here keep saying it's forgotten but you consistently see it brought up by the media and it's still 3 years out. Just this week IW has given Avatar some time in the media with the well timed fatigue smack talk from Jim and the Jimmy Fallon show with the Avengers cast. It's going to have so much hype going into it, it will be unreal, you're going to hear "the highest grossing film of all time Avatar's sequel... avatar 2 is finally happening this december".. news outlets will be going crazy for it and stuff

Yeah, I give up. No use trying.

8 minutes ago, eXtacy said:

Oh there a definite similarities to comic book movies. You would just have to rework the source material so much. Maybe it could work but damn I would choose so many others before even thinking about DB.

I personally believe that Live Action Anime Films wont ever work. The Japanese themselves cant do them. Even thinking about the Attack on Titan Films makes me...sad. And the most recent FMA Movie was incredibly shitty as well.

Scratch my earlier $600M post. If it goes over $250M OW, $600M looks way more likely. Will be interesting to see if this or Panther takes number one of the year domestically.

The real question is what’s #3 of the year. My bets: Incredibles 2 or JWFK. I think both can reach $500M.

Just now, Brainbug said:

I personally believe that Live Action Anime Films wont ever work. The Japanese themselves cant do them. Even thinking about the Attack on Titan Films makes me...sad. And the most recent FMA Movie was incredibly shitty as well.

Japan production budgets are like 5m though, 10 max.

3 minutes ago, chenguonk said:

Speaking of a single natural day, I believe the record holder is Harry Potter DH2's 91M.

That includes midnights.

12 minutes ago, Sam said:

A movie just straight up murder the Sat record and y’all here arguing the semantics of RT. 

Yikes. 

Simply incredible number. This movie performance is just rude now.

For real. This thing is a monster. 

It deserves every single penny. Watching the narrative build over the last decade has to be one of the most impressive feats in all of Hollywood. Marvel gets no rewards beyond money, but even the most pretentious of film buffs must admit that this is unprecedented.

it is INSANELY HARD to achieve payoff over 19 films without losing your audience, just as it would be with a book series or comic series. 

The fact that this audience actually increased is just mind boggling. I’d say the studio deserves academy recognition for doing what no other studio could ever hope to do.

And yes- I do find this feat more impressive than writing and directing serious drama pieces that “reveal aspects of humanity” like Shape of Water or Moonlight. 

Kind of similar to the way I feel about Robert Jordan. Is he Tolstoy or Dostoevsky? No. Are his books and interweaving storylines magnificent to behold? Absolutely. And for that he deserves credit. To some people, Eye of the World may be just as revealing as Anna Karenina.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

DBZ fights are basically the Neo vs Smith fight in Matrix Revolutions.

I don't see how a good live action DBZ movie can't be done.

And that's why I loved that fight so much. It's the closest we've gotten to it but I don't think DBZ or that whole universe would translate that well onto film. I wanted it for awhile too. The hairstyles and character designs alone are just really hard to pull off to look convincing.

And I'm speaking as a big fan of the series who loved the DBS super finale.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, chenguonk said:

Speaking of a single natural day, I believe the record holder is Harry Potter DH2's 91M.

Half of that is from midnights on Thursday night, tho.