CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

So help me out with this. 

I have a theory that this is actually blowing away TFA more than we realize. 

I recall the day of TFA previews, many theaters were running special 6-movie runs of all the OT/PT movies ahead of TFA. For some reason I have a $100 price point as what these tickets went for in my head. 

Boxofficemojo doesn't show any revenue for the OT/PT on that date. So did all those super-tickets roll into the TFA preview figure? It would explain how previews could be 50% larger than the next biggest entrees on the all time list. 

Otherwise, it doesn’t seem realistic to me that on nights where almost all theaters are running at 100% capacity that a film could even have 50% more capacity, much less 50% more box. 

Thoughts?

The fact that it did this with "only" $39M in previews is what's blowing my mind. Hopefully people don't start panicking next year if Avengers 4 previews don't seem that high compared to Star Wars or DH2

Anyways all this box office talk is wanting me to watch the movie again tonight haha

At least I've found a new soundtrack to study with in Silvestri's Avengers Infinity War score

Edited by Darth Lehnsherr
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

lol @ people thinking this only does around 600-650m domestic if it has that astronomical 73m(-12% WTF) Sunday

Yeah, my 630M is nothing now. 650M is the floor at this point. I just don't see it doing less than 2.5x

• Like 1

When I saw this film it was actually a fantastic experience, I've never heard soo many gasps, not one person left during the credits, I've never seen that happen, everyone looked totally stunned. It was fantastic.

• Like 9

Just now, Darth Lehnsherr said:

The fact that it did this with "only" $39M in previews is what's blowing my mind. Hopefully people don't start panicking next year if Avengers 4 previews don't seem that high compared to Star Wars or DH2

true. ow is looking at 6.7x previews.

aou did 6.9x but that was a big drop from 11.1x of ta.

preview era had kicked in by aou and was not expecting a similarly huge drop for aiw, but thought 5.5*45=247.5 was the way it would get to tfa territory. 39*6.7x is very surprising.

5 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Yeah this always happens with Marvel. Previews are just OK, Friday is sometimes just OK and then Saturday comes and shit hits the fan. 

I'm currently sitting in Super Troopers and there's about 20 other people in here but they're all chatting away during the pre show  about how excited they all are. Didn't go as a group, but just stragers talking about their excitement for this movie.

Goddamn, this movie has its fans. Like it's own Avengers, just a lot smaller.

21 minutes ago, Rthanos said:

I currently had it 68-73 lets see bit later how its looking

If Sunday follows the trend it'll be on the high end :)

Fri early had 102 range 100-105, the upped it to top of the range 105m, current est 105.967

Sat  80 range 77-82 then 78-83 but kept number 80 see where it fell , later agreed with @EmpireCity 82 figure, current est 83m

So if the trend continues it'll be 73 LOL...or maybe it'll come undone and be at low end , lot factors in play see how evening goes. Either way the 61 is toast

Weekend had 220-260 range stuck with 240...so 260 might happen :)

ZOMG, its doing it!  OW record going down is a lock now.  :D   In fact, this may beat TFA's inflation adjusted OW record! lol, to think we were all so pessimistic when Friday numbers first came out. I actually think WOM for this is going to be great. Better than civil war, which felt like our own super heros having a very public and distressing quarrel. This time, everyone's target is clear (Thanos). I can see the GA getting behind that. And this bodes really well for the box office numbers that avengers 4 is going to get next year. All these OW records may only hang around for a year cos Avengers 4 has a good chance of obliterating them when it comes rolling around.  :D 

52 minutes ago, baumer said:

@Lordmandeep @DAJK 

And anyone else interested in the Canadian box office. IW set the OW record here with about 19.5 mill according to RTH. TFA did 18.6.

Is there any way to find a list of Canadian OWs? It would be interesting to see what other mega-openers did in Canada.