aabattery

Monday Numbers - A:IW 24.74M

2 minutes ago, REC said:

This is why I think something just under Avatar is possible.  Maybe it’s not likely, we don’t know the legs yet.  But I think they will be great.  And very roughly we’re looking at something like:

700m Dom

500m China

1.3bn OS - China

Which gets us to 2.5bn.  A little bit of over-performance in almost any location could get that a bit higher.  750-800m Dom isn’t impossible.  The OS numbers are just insane in certain places.  I feel like 2bn WW should be the expectation, but 2.2-2.5 isn’t that crazy either.

Wow, I see that 1.3b OS-China prediction too ambitious. I will not say it is impossible because we still do not know how good legs will be, but for the moment I say that is too much. I think it has a real chance to beat Titanic (2.187b). We will see during next days if it is able to go beyond that point.

Just now, baumer said:

And this is what happens when RTH has decided to forsaken us.  We actually have to wait for twitter to help us out.  

It wouldn't be a bother at all if we simply expected to get the numbers when everyone else does.

48 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I don't know if you're just baiting the fanboys or not, but if you're not, gonna have to completely disagree here. 640 million OW WW is less of an overperformance than TR making the exact same amount as the original Jolie movie WW? 'Kay then. You can say it was "expected" that IW would break the DOM OW (and it was.... by some people, not by the majority or even half of everyone, myself included; hell, you were adamant that there would be meltdowns of disappointment), but pretty much nobody gave it a legit chance at making more than Fate Of The Furious WW, and especially as much as it did, due to China being MIA. It not only broke the record but it eviscerated it. Tomb Raider did the same as the 2001 movie, and considering what the Resident Evil movies have done (especially the last one, with an even smaller DOM intake) and what Rampage and Angry Birds and Warcraft and other video game movies have pulled off, TR was not an overperformance by any means. It was good enough, and that's it.

I expected Avengers to be huge, and it is huge. I expected Tomb Raider to bomb and it did not. Therefore, TR did better than Avengers.

:sparta:

And yes IW overperformed, I thought it would do more like 200M OW which would indeed have led to meltdowns which I was really looking forward to. But breaking even against all odds is a more impressive achievement, than doing 10% better than my estimate. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jessie said:

IW is the equivalent of Empire Strikes Back. Come at me SW fans 

My brother and I were discussing the movie a couple of days ago and how his kids were gutted leaving the theater. Having lived through both eras we agreed Infinity War is this generation's Empire Strikes Back. 

Watch the potential spoilers when discussing the film please.  Thanks

baumer

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tree said:

I expected Avengers to be huge, and it is huge. I expected Tomb Raider to bomb and it did not. Therefore, TR did better than Avengers.

And yes IW overperformed, I thought it would do more like 200M OW which would indeed have led to meltdowns which I was really looking forward to. But breaking even against all odds is a more impressive achievement, than doing 10% better than my estimate. 

its doing far better than 10% better overseas though. 

9 minutes ago, AJ2k said:

My brother and I were discussing the movie a couple of days ago and how his kids were gutted leaving the theater. Having lived through both eras we agreed Infinity War is this generation's Empire Strikes Back. At the same time I don't think A4 is going to be like ROTJ because that movie ended on a good note with the good guys winning. I expect A4 to feel bittersweet of getting characters back and at the same time still losing some major ones. 

I think A4 will be more like Return of the King or HP DH. Some happiness, some sadness mixed in.

1 minute ago, DMan7 said:

Did see posts of Avatar WW record going down in here or what? :ph34r:

they seem to be "even in my wildest dreams it still grosses less than Avatar" type posts.

Edited by IronJimbo

13 minutes ago, Tree said:

I can see your argument, but I think there was more than enough evidence that Tomb Raider wasn't gonna flat out bomb. OS would more than likely save it even if it underperformed DOM (which...... I don't think it underperformed compared to expectations, but it sure did next to its budget). Reviews were just enthuasistic enough, if not quite great by any means, that it wouldn't pull an Assassin's Creed when it comes to WW total, and it would at least play well OS; and a 94M budget made it difficult for the film to be an outright money loser with a strong OS performance. Breaking even was definitely a step above that, but even its WW OW made it kinda clear that it would at least steer close to 300, slightly O/U the 2001 Jolie movie.

So yeah, if your expectations were really that low, then I get it. But to me, IW's record massacre took me by surprise more than TR1 repeating the '01 film's business and doing good enough to break even. To each their own, though. :P