cannastop

Thursday Numbers ~ A:IW $15.5

18 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Fyi 0.9A means 2.5b as worldwide is a far more important value.

Agree it was a good drop but not quite Avatar anti gravity which is why this will fall short of it DOM. It will be almost a billion away from from Avatar WW without china but thanks to china it could beat titanic WW. Which is a shame because Avatar held the highest grossing record in China for 4 years even despite how much smaller the market was in china in 2009. It's fair to assume Avatar would have grossed atleast 700m in china now but it only made 200m. 3.2b btw

Rare for you to underestimate things :D

Even Wolf Warrior 2 can do $870M in China, and Avatar felt significantly bigger than that.

Anyway, I'm mentally preparing myself for Titanic WW being surpassed, I kind of dread it, but also happy for IW if it does surpass Titanic. Doesn't change the fact that Titanic has probably the most impressive worldwide box office run ever. Like for every record in box office, inflation and market expansion eventually catches up. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

Even Wolf Warrior 2 can do $870M in China, and Avatar felt significantly bigger than that.

Anyway, I'm mentally preparing myself for Titanic WW being surpassed, I kind of dread it, but also happy for IW if it does surpass Titanic. Doesn't change the fact that Titanic has probably the most impressive worldwide box office run ever. Like for every record in box office, inflation and market expansion eventually catches up. 

Titanic does have the most impressive BO run, that an Independence day

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Prett expected.. like i said a few days ago. This is going to run like TA until films actually start being released then it slow down. Problem is most of its gross is made by then, im still expecting around 700m

Deadpool 2 opens at the end of IW’s 3rd week. TA had a 1st:3rd week multi of 476.7/270.0=1.765   

This Thurs figure puts IW’s first week at 338.5, so we’d have about 338.5*1.765=597.6 before the big competition shows up.   From there it would need to make 163M to catch Avatar, or about 27.25% of its day-21 total.     

Thor:Ragnarok failed to do so with *very* heavy competition (21%).  Spider- Man was about 26%. GotG2 24.4%.  Strange 21%. Civil War 14%.  Ultron 20%.    

So, with this model of the run Avatar does look quite safe, though passing BP looks pretty good still. I think the ~600 end of 3rd week, ~730 final numbers from this kind of run look about right for now.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Jessie said:

Titanic does have the most impressive BO run, that an Independence day

The fact no one but Jims touched it after 20 years is hilarious

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Deadpool 2 opens at the end of IW’s 3rd week. TA had a 1st:3rd week multi of 476.7/270.0=1.765   

This Thurs figure puts IW’s first week at 338.5, so we’d have about 338.5*1.765=597.6 before the big competition shows up.   From there it would need to make 163M to catch Avatar, or about 27.25% of its day-21 total.     

Thor:Ragnarok failed to do so with *very* heavy competition (21%).  Spider- Man was about 26%. GotG2 24.4%.  Strange 21%. Civil War 14%.  Ultron 20%.    

So, with this model of the run Avatar does look quite safe, though passing BP looks pretty good still. I think the ~600 end of 3rd week, ~730 final numbers from this kind of run look about right for now.

Thanks for doing the maths for me I'm on my phone so it's a hassel to look up numbers and stuff.

I think the staggered affect of DP2 then SOLO is going to hurt IW's post 600m prospects. Overall im expecting 710m (+-20).

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1

A:IW has been running much like TA, not AoU nor CA:CW, nor BP, nor other solo Marvel movies, nor SW movies and others.

TA total domestic gross adjusted was $704M. I think A:IW will do 5-10% above this adjusted figure, so 740M to 775M final gross.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NCsoft said:

As far as I liked all these amazing run from IW, I don't like if Titanic surpassed by IW. Only 3 films from 90s stay in all time top 50. I need that representation in all time chart!

And,Titanic is an all time epic classic that should stay as top as it can be!!!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Again that isn’t bad, or good. 

Just standard and expected. 

I don’t think it’s locked for $130m this weekend. I think it’ll be closer to $120m. 

It's not bad or good - it's great.   It's the biggest non holiday/summer Thur ever

It's what's expected for a movie on its way to $700m+ domestic. 

You know, the usual.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

The fact no one but Jims touched it after 20 years is hilarious

I have a question for you.

I skip the first batch of present day scenes whenever I watch Titanic because I think they’re awful. Am I wrong in my thinking?

Just now, TalismanRing said:

It's not bad or good - it's great.   It's the biggest non holiday/summer Thur ever

It's what's expected for a movie on its way to $700m+ domestic. 

You know, the usual.

You're being facetious, from what we've seen so far it's expected.

My260m 700m total prediction lookin real good

7 minutes ago, AJG said:

I have a question for you.

I skip the first batch of present day scenes whenever I watch Titanic because I think they’re awful. Am I wrong in my thinking?

Yes, yoù gotta pay respects to bill paxton. First scenes are needed for the ending payoff.

The ending wouldn't have worked without the prsent day stuff.

Jack dies... cuts to black?

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

Again that isn’t bad, or good.  

I don't know what planet you live on but I'd say almost $16M on a Thursday boosting its total to about $340M after just 7 days is pretty fucking good.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Yes, yoù gotta pay respects to bill paxton. First scenes are needed for the ending payoff.

The ending wouldn't have worked without the prsent day stuff.

Jack dies... cuts to black?

Also the movie works much better with the framing device cause throughout the movie you're dangled with some hope that they did both survive and that lady is actually their granddaughter.

• Like 1