Sheikh

Weekend Thread | Avengers 2nd Weekend - 114.774 only a 21.5% drop on Sunday

The hold really isn't bad, just disappointing after the weekdays. TDKR dropped 60%+ in its second weekend and still hit 2.8x. Ant-Man had the same second weekend drop as IW and cleared 3.1x. Obviously I know this isn't getting AM's multi, but there may still be a very slight chance left to hit Avatar (2.95x). Will need an amazing hold next weekend though before DP hits. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

I really hope Life of the Party breaks out next weekend because it is simply sad that the highest grossing comedy of the year has made less than $70M and it's already May.

...Deadpool

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

The hold really isn't bad, just disappointing after the weekdays. TDKR dropped 60%+ in its second weekend and still hit 2.8x. Ant-Man had the same second weekend drop as IW and cleared 3.1x. 

July weekdays.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, baumer said:

700 is dead.

We've seen plenty of movies surge back after a harsher than expected second weekend drop, have we not? I wouldn't say that with any sort of conviction.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

July weekdays.

BP showed summer/holiday weekdays don't really matter if the WOM is there. The movie will make up for it on the weekends. SM1 is still one of the best CBM multis ever releasing in early May. 

Actually, 3 of the top 4 21st century CBM multis did so without summer weekdays for a large part of their run (SM1, GotG, and BP). 

Edited by MovieMan89

Again, this drop is only disappointing if you expected IW to follow BP or TFA's runs. These ridiculous "disappointments" claims have happened with so many films in the last four years since I've been a member of this forum. You would think we would've learned by now, but nope.

Edited by miketheavenger
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Next year, after Lion King does its thing, all the biggest franchises, IPs and characters of the last 40 years will have peaked, (almost) ALL of them.

Getting to 600m will be tough let alone 650m, 700m or more, maybe Batman with the help of Inflation along the way but       

yeah, dark and gloomy days for box office lovers in the next 5 years I would say.

Then you will have "records" again thanks to inflation around 2023.

The only remaining  question mark is Avatar, the last big/giant franchise to not have yet its sequel/remake/reboot.

Let s see if Cameron can make pony tail sex cool again.

I don't see any new trend developping for the future that could change the current game and the way it is played, everything has been more or less done so ...

I'm still curious to see till where a "Disney's Indiana Jones" reaches. 

Also, I wonder how a "Back to the Future" reboot would behave nowadays. 

Not that it seems feasible, but a Bambi live-action ala Lion King could also have its momentum at box office in the coming years. 

Just now, miketheavenger said:

Again, this drop is only disappointing if you expected IW to follow BP or TFA's runs. These ridiculous "disappointments" claims have happened with so many films in the last four years since I've been a member of this forum. You would think we would've learned by now, but nope.

Nah Fri/Sat bumps didn't follow general MCU trends, fair to be disappointed in that. Especially after great weekdays

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Next year, after Lion King does its thing, all the biggest franchises, IPs and characters of the last 40 years will have peaked, (almost) ALL of them.

Getting to 600m will be tough let alone 650m, 700m or more, maybe Batman with the help of Inflation along the way but       

yeah, dark and gloomy days for box office lovers in the next 5 years I would say.

Then you will have "records" again thanks to inflation around 2023.

The only remaining  question mark is Avatar, the last big/giant franchise to not have yet its sequel/remake/reboot.

Let s see if Cameron can make pony tail sex cool again.

I don't see any new trend developping for the future that could change the current game and the way it is played, everything has been more or less done so ...

3 words.

Harry

Potter

Sequel

Edited by eddyxx
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

The good news is that the handful of sub 2.5x MCU films have all dropped 59-60% in weekend 2, so IW should be avoiding that fate. 

Guardians 2 legs would seem to be a good expectation. Very similar second weekend drop. That would mean about $685m total. So far it's running ahead of Guardians 2 legs after the 2nd weekend. Stronger weekday numbers for Infinity War. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

BP showed summer/holiday weekdays don't really matter if the WOM is there. The movie will make up for it on the weekends. SM1 is still one of the best CBM multis ever releasing in early May. 

Actually, 3 of the top 4 21st century CBM multis did so without summer weekdays for a large part of their run (SM1, GotG, and BP). 

SM1 and BP started making up for it on the weekends right away, both with sub-45% second weekend drops. IW is clearly not on that level. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Belle said:

I don't think more competition would have eaten away at BP's legs that much. If people like the movie, they'll keep going back. I know several women, among others who watched Wonder Woman multiple times no matter what else came out several weeks later. And with Black Panther, several of my Afro-Caribbean friends did the same. Plus, several of those upcoming movies probably don't overlap too much with BP's audience to make such a significant impact. 

It’s not that the entire audience wouldn’t go back, it’s that you’d lose some of the audience over time. Movies aren’t cheap. IMAX is now +$20 a ticket. A family of 4 is going to cost $80 easily when concessions etc are taken into account. If your kids who’ve already seen BP once are demanding to go see the dinosaurs in JW, the animated hero’s in Incredibles 2, and you’re taking your significant other out to see either Oceans 8, Deadpool 2 or both, the odds of you going back to see BP I’m theatres vs waiting for Blu-ray probably drop. All of these films are scifi, most of them are blockbusters, and as someone who’s seen BP 3 times, I can tell you i’ll probably be seeing most of them as well. I know I don’t speak for everyone but if that situation applies to even a 10th of the audience, you’ve gone from smashing the Titanic and possibly 700 to whatever IW is likely to do.

BP deserves every bit of praise it’s gotten, and it brought out an audience that’s been starved to see fair representation in cinemas in particular. That being said at no time did I see it among an audience that was entirely of one ethnicity, in fact 2/3 times the majority of the audience was white, and I live in a city that’s around 50% black (and saw it in 3 different theatres). BP wouldn’t fall off the face of the earth come dvd release date but it almost slipped out of the top 10 pre-IW bump. Facing Star Wars Jurassic World and the biggest franchises not starring Vin Diesel & the Rock would hurt as it’s going to hurt Infinity War, which is part of why fans thinking IW can beat BP’s domestic total are out of their minds...