Sheikh

Weekend Thread | Avengers 2nd Weekend - 114.774 only a 21.5% drop on Sunday

1 minute ago, peludo said:

It is amazing the difference in gross between Avatar and "Ocho apellidos vascos" taking into account that both films sold basically the same amount of tickets.

During the recession many theaters slashed prices. €3 Wednesday tickets became very common in my area (Barcelona metro), plus loyalty schemes that allowed you to buy discounted tickets. I paid €5 on weekends at my favorite cinema, when the list price was €9. So "8 Apellidos" sold around the same tickets as Avatar, but at cheaper prices.

Nowadays Cheap Wednesdays are the second largest day in attendance after Saturday.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, baumer said:

How the hell did you do so well on the placements?  Like you picked BS to finish 10th and RPO at 12.  That's incredible, seriously.  

I hate this game already.  I got one right in the placements.  

The 40% TC loss made it very apparent to me that RPO was going to be 12th. Nothing else was losing as many theaters. I'll chalk Samaritan up to luck because I had Super Troopers finishing very close to it (TOD was ahead of both in my predictions) :jeb!: 

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Celedhring said:

During the recession many theaters slashed prices. €3 Wednesday tickets became very common in my area (Barcelona metro), plus loyalty schemes that allowed you to buy discounted tickets. I paid €5 on weekends at my favorite cinema, when the list price was €9. So "8 Apellidos" sold around the same tickets as Avatar, but at cheaper prices.

Nowadays Cheap Wednesdays are the second largest day in attendance after Saturday.

And if I remember well it sold about 1 million admissions during the "Fiesta del Cine" period.

• Like 1

Honestly IW ending with a similar multi to Ultron would be absolutely hilarious after all the crowing for the last week

Don't let OW hype cloud your judgement, folks. Sequels are sequels

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Ah Man, this Avengers movie had so much potential, I really thought it could do something great at the box office, alas ...

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Ah Man, this Avengers movie had so much potential, I really thought it could so something great at the box office, alas ...

Yeah. I mean it’s only making a disgraceful 2B WW. 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, MrSinister said:

This also has more competition looming on the horizon:

Deadpool 2, Solo, Incredibles 2, Jurrasic World 2, and Oceans 8 all coming out in the next month or so.

BP had Tomb Raider (which flopped, maybe partially due to BP), A Wrinkle in Time (which underperformed), Pacific Rim 2 (which did about as expected and less than its surprisingly mildly successful prequel), Ready Player One, and A Quiet Place (which came out of nowhere). Basically BP took February, faced off against a weak March, and Rampage didnt release until mid april. I don't think it would still be in the top 10 come August if it came out when IW did and IW released in August instead (and IW and the Wasp in October). That's not to discredit the cultural phenomenon of BP, more to illustrate what IW's up against (star wars, Oceans, Jurrasic World, the sequel to the highest grossing R rated film of all time which happens to be in the same genre and the sequel to one of Pixars top films which also happens to be in the same genre) some of the top franchises ever.

IW hasn't faced competition yet and it's already running equal with Black Panther.  Sure it has more competition in the future but it had no comp this weekend and they essentially did the same number. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Ah Man, this Avengers movie had so much potential, I really thought it could do something great at the box office, alas ...

Too obvious an attempt to gain reaction likes. No "wtf" or "disbelief" reaction smiley from me, I'm afraid.  

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, MrSinister said:

This also has more competition looming on the horizon:

Deadpool 2, Solo, Incredibles 2, Jurrasic World 2, and Oceans 8 all coming out in the next month or so.

BP had Tomb Raider (which flopped, maybe partially due to BP), Ready Player One, and A Quiet Place (which came out of nowhere). Basically BP took February, faced off against a weak March, and Rampage didnt release until mid april. I don't think it would still be in the top 10 come August if it came out when IW did and IW released in August instesd (and IW and the Wasp in October). That's not to discredit the cultural phenomenon of BP, more to illustrate what IW's up against

I don't think more competition would have eaten away at BP's legs that much. If people like the movie, they'll keep going back. I know several women, among others who watched Wonder Woman multiple times no matter what else came out several weeks later. And with Black Panther, several of my Afro-Caribbean friends did the same. Plus, several of those upcoming movies probably don't overlap too much with BP's audience to make such a significant impact. 

Infinity War made 258M on opening weekend and that's a lot to burn through so it was never going to see the drops that other movies with good legs saw regardless of competition. I could be wrong, it could drop a small amount on it's 3rd weekend but I don't see it beating the Avengers 46% drop. 

Aside from that, It looks like it made around 147M over the weekend? Since BOM and other people seem to be saying it's overseas ow is 383M, wouldn't that mean it dropped over 60%? As a whole, Is that a good hold? 

Edited by Belle

5 minutes ago, Belle said:

I don't think more competition would have eaten away at BP's legs that much. If people like the movie, they'll keep going back. I know several women, among others who watched Wonder Woman multiple times no matter what else came out several weeks later. And with Black Panther, several of my Afro-Caribbean friends did the same. Plus, several of those upcoming movies probably don't overlap too much with BP's audience to make such a significant impact. 

Infinity War made 258M on opening weekend and that's a lot to burn through so it was never going to see the drops that other movies with good legs saw regardless of competition. I could be wrong, it could drop a small amount on it's 3rd weekend but I don't see it beating the Avengers 46% drop. 

Aside from that, It looks like it made around 147M over the weekend? Since BOM and other people seem to be saying it's overseas ow is 383M, wouldn't that mean it dropped over 60%? As a whole, Is that a good hold? 

The 383 million os , is not the opening weekend, that was around 287 million.

Next year, after Lion King does its thing, all the biggest franchises, IPs and characters of the last 40 years will have peaked, (almost) ALL of them.

Getting to 600m will be tough let alone 650m, 700m or more, maybe Batman with the help of Inflation along the way but       

yeah, dark and gloomy days for box office lovers in the next 5 years I would say.

Then you will have "records" again thanks to inflation around 2023.

The only remaining  question mark is Avatar, the last big/giant franchise to not have yet its sequel/remake/reboot.

Let s see if Cameron can make pony tail sex cool again.

I don't see any new trend developping for the future that could change the current game and the way it is played, everything has been more or less done so ...

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 2