That One Girl

Weekend Thread | Wknd #'s A:IW 61.8, LOTP 18.5, BI 16.5, OB 10.1, AQP 6.4, IFP 3.7, R 3.4, T 2.2

31 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

True. Finding Dory & Jumanji 2 had nostalgia but weren’t massive breakouts in China either. I think what made JW so large over there was.....something else. It was a monster-movie on a large scale and with dinosaurs.

I think being big participated a lot on how big it ended up to be.

We are really sheepish/heard like creature, that opening weekend record probably created a lot of legs, I know I went to see it in theater just by curiosity of what that amount of success could be about... I imagine lot of legs and later market were a bit like that.

And this, for the same reason the first one opened big, it is still a giant dinosaur movie, nostalgia or not they can be big but not massive breakout without much other reason or high quality.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

It wasn't advertised as a direct sequel at all. There was nothing related to Superman or Luthor or anything in the marketing. The mother boxes,  Cyborg,  Flash,  Aquaman all played very minor roles in BvS. 

That's why I'm saying it was the marketing, Snyder having to leave, Whedon adding layers to the story that were nothing more than a Marvel lite ripoff and most of all...  WB rushing the project before laying the groundwork for it.  Nobody was ready for a JL movie including WB themselves.  

You guys act like audiences are completely dumb and know nothing about movies.

Most people going to watch JL knew this was in the same universe as BvS/SS/WW.  Im sure it would've bombed way harder without WW goodwill (and WW would've done BP numbers had it come after well received films)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I cannot imagine JW2 doing near 200m OW dbo, but that said was not imagining the first one to do over 140m either.

Quite and hard to read franchise for me, it broke the all time opening weekend record 3 time already, so at this point I will try to stop being surprised by it, but I know I won't.

Right? I don't feel the hype for this one at all, but didn't feel it for the first either (and it was comparetively just as big in Brazil as in the US), so it might surprise everyone again.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

It wasn't advertised as a direct sequel at all. There was nothing related to Superman or Luthor or anything in the marketing. The mother boxes,  Cyborg,  Flash,  Aquaman all played very minor roles in BvS. 

That's why I'm saying it was the marketing, Snyder having to leave, Whedon adding layers to the story that were nothing more than a Marvel lite ripoff and most of all...  WB rushing the project before laying the groundwork for it.  Nobody was ready for a JL movie including WB themselves.  

:redcapes:

• Like 2

JW just seems like one of those huge blockbusters that no one has talked about since it left theaters. That doesn't typically bode well for a sequel. I also don't think it helps that there's a huge movie targeting kids opening a week before, since kids played a huge part in JW's success. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

It wasn't advertised as a direct sequel at all.

I did not follow that much and I could take your word for it (But I knew, Batman&Superman and the same one would be in this one).

Regardless marketing, the ending of BvS is a direct start of Justice League the movie and how much of the JL potential audience didn't saw BvS ?

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

JW just seems like one of those huge blockbusters that no one has talked about since it left theaters

Some talks, but mixed, Saturday Night life just made a sketch about it.

Google trend comparative of 3 big 2015 movies, Ultron/Jurassic World/Fast seven, last 5 year's:

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=today 5-y&q=%2Fm%2F051179,%2Fm%2F0n15g8q,%2Fm%2F0vsjsxr

last 12 month:

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?q=%2Fm%2F051179,%2Fm%2F0n15g8q,%2Fm%2F0vsjsxr

Jurassic World is number one in many market

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Some talks, but mixed, Saturday Night life just made a sketch about it.

Google trend comparative of 3 big 2015 movies, Ultron/Jurassic World/Fast seven, last 5 year's:

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=today 5-y&q=%2Fm%2F051179,%2Fm%2F0n15g8q,%2Fm%2F0vsjsxr

last 12 month:

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?q=%2Fm%2F051179,%2Fm%2F0n15g8q,%2Fm%2F0vsjsxr

Jurassic World is number one in many market

Keep in mind SNL is owned by NBCUniversal, so they almost definitely pushed that in for cross promotion

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mekanos said:

Without a rabid fanbase like the MCU/SW I think sequels to mega movies dropping big is inevitable. 150-160M opening is my guess for JW2.

watch and learn

1 hour ago, XO21 said:

I’d be shocked if Jurassic World doesn’t drop like a stone esp domestic. The marketing campaign and the trailers have been a huge letdown. IMO $140-150m OW.

$140-150M would still be a crazy impressive opening.

15 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

JW just seems like one of those huge blockbusters that no one has talked about since it left theaters. That doesn't typically bode well for a sequel. I also don't think it helps that there's a huge movie targeting kids opening a week before, since kids played a huge part in JW's success. 

A bit like Alice in Wonderland, in a way. I'm not implying that the drop will be as catastrophic as Alice 2's drop but it feels like the buzz has been completely absent.

50 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I cannot imagine JW2 doing near 200m OW dbo, but that said was not imagining the first one to do over 140m either.

Quite and hard to read franchise for me, it broke the all time opening weekend record 3 time already, so at this point I will try to stop being surprised by it, but I know I won't.

Maybe my perspective is skewed because of exactly that, the first one blew up out of nowhere giving me the impression that the jurassic franchise has a lot of latent appeal that will show up again.

15+45+50+40 really doesn't seem difficult compared to 18+63+69+57, but that could be too narrow of a view.

Edited by MattW