That One Girl

Snake Eyes: G.I. Joe Origins | July 23 2021 | Robert Schwentke | Henry Golding is Snake Eyes

4 hours ago, AJG said:

There's a GI Joe fandom???

SillySlushyDungbeetle-max-1mb.gif

i've seen people saying it disrespects Snake Eyes' backstory. which is hilarious. he's based on a toy his backstory is whatever the eight year old playing with him decided it should be that day.

• Like 7

Watched the first film and that movie it is actually a lot of fun. Wish that Michael Bay isn't the only action director today who makes films with the kind of hilariously over-the-top carnage that the Paris chase sequence in this does. Also can't be a Stephen Sommers film without some body horror shit (and nice to see some of his old cast with cameo appearences).

Already saw the sequel years ago but maybe I should give it another because I remember really liking that one too. I'm watching Snake Eyes tomorrow afternoon so probably after that.

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

Watched the first film and that movie it is actually a lot of fun. Wish that Michael Bay isn't the only action director today who makes films with the kind of hilariously over-the-top carnage that the Paris chase sequence in this does. Also can't be a Stephen Sommers film without some body horror shit (and nice to see some of his old cast with cameo appearences).

Already saw the sequel years ago but maybe I should give it another because I remember really liking that one too. I'm watching Snake Eyes tomorrow afternoon so probably after that.

You made me Google Stephen Sommers... 😂  Looks like the last thing he directed was 2013's ODD THOMAS?  He just disappeared...

I never even saw the second JOE, I think...

Edited by Macleod

28 minutes ago, Macleod said:

You made me Google Stephen Sommers... 😂  Looks like the last thing he directed was 2013's ODD THOMAS?  He just disappeared...

I never even saw the second JOE, I think...

It’s Meh. Only thing really going for it was the ninja mountain fight. 

I guess I’ll see SE on P+, but after 3 movies (assuming I’m indifferent at best to SE like I’m with the earlier entries) and none of them came even close to being as good as the honorary unofficial best GI Joe movie ever made in The Winter Soldier….why bother?

This really is P’s Mortal Kombat: they’ll keep trying until they get it right. 

• Like 2

On 7/23/2021 at 1:54 AM, TigerPaw said:

So it opened here in Singapore today.

Have you ever seen a movie where you feel that the main lead drags the film down? This is one of the rare cases - Henry Golding's limited acting ability is really being shown here; reminds me of Liu Yifei in Mulan (but Mulan had a much better storyline, supporting cast, BGM, scenery etc), where you see the same expression throughout the film

Can also tell that Golding didn't have a lot of martial arts training in preparation for this film. Pretty obvious when you compare his fight scenes compared to Storm Shadow; Andrew Koji did well but unfortunately he is not the lead in this film and doesn't have enough screentime to save it.

I think cinemascore at best will be a B+; leaning towards a B. I personally will rate it a C.

I am not sure of Golding's future chances of leading or starring in action films going forward; i don't think any studio execs will be impressed at all by this performance.

I thought the movie was bad and expected a B or B+ cineascore.. ended up worse than I thought at B-.

Gosh..

Tied with Deadpool 2 for the worst movie I've seen in the cinemas since Suicide Squad. Just an awful humorless film that has none of the cartoonish insanity of the previous two films. The last two films were very clearly made for teenage boys who just want to see explosive action scenes and hot actresses in tight outfits and they were geniunely a lot of fun but I have no clue who this is for. Like so many blockbusters today, this is a stupid kids film trying so hard to be for adults.

And how did this cost anything close to $100 mil lmao?

watch, the makers of this will blame the surge in the Delta Covid numbers for the film ot doing well at the box office.

I not denying for a minute that the Covid resurgence had a impact on the box office, but i have a feeling Snake Eyes would have underperformed anyway.

WOW...people need to wake up on this. This is the BEST movie I've seen this year, and it's not even close 🙂

Nevermind the GI Joe universe, they're only peripheral players here. At it's heart, it's a Yakuza/Mafia movie of vengeance, trust and betrayal.

The event that brings the two main characters together has you fully invested in the betrayals, the story. 

The

jewel made Thanos' infinity gauntlet look like a water gun 😂. The villain was incinerating people from left to right.

The entire group of heroes gathered to confront the villain, and he could have easily roasted them with just a thought, and the movie is over 😂. Movie logic kicked in, and he's all of a sudden hesitant to cook the group, and they're given enough time to hatch their plan!

😂!

In addition to the Mafia political story, there's a mystical FANTASY element in here! 

The movie is Snake Eyes' origin story, but it's just as much the origin of the second guy too! You get his story, and his motivation!

The GI Joe universe is here...but those two characters, a villain and hero, seem like a cameo in this wonderful film. 

I liked Old, I saw that yesterday, but it wasn't the #1 movie this weekend in my book 🙂

A+, check this out, before it gets smothered by the big released in the next couple weeks 👍👍👍

Edited by OdinSon2k14

2 minutes ago, OdinSon2k14 said:

WOW...people need to wake up on this. This is the BEST movie I've seen this year, and it's not even close 🙂

Nevermind the GI Joe universe, they're only peripheral players here. At it's heart, it's a Yakuza/Mafia movie of vengeance, trust and betrayal.

The event that brings the two main characters together has you fully invested in the betrayals, the story. 

In addition to the Mafia political story, there's a mystical FANTASY element in here! 

The movie is Snake Eyes' origin story, but it's just as much the origin of the second guy too! You get his story, and his motivation!

The GI Joe universe is here...but those two characters, a villain and hero, seem like a cameo in this wonderful film. 

I liked Old, I saw that yesterday, I liked it, but it wasn't the #1 movie this weekend in my book 🙂

A+, check this out, before it gets smothered by the big released in the next couple weeks 👍👍👍

Is this a serious post b/c when I watched this today, I think I had the utterly opposite reaction:), although the villain's origin story was probably the only good thing going for the movie...D+ and not even worth the $1 I paid...my full spoiler-free review is in the weekend thread:)...

• Haha 1

You don't have a pulse dude 🙂. This movie had action, fantasy, everything. Epic. 

You weren't invested in Snake Eyes infiltrating the "clan", and betraying them, to get the jewel, in order to get his hands on his father's killer?! The ACTION?!

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie!

1 hour ago, OdinSon2k14 said:

You don't have a pulse dude 🙂. This movie had action, fantasy, everything. Epic. 

Hide contents

You weren't invested in Snake Eyes infiltrating the "clan", and betraying them, to get the jewel, in order to get his hands on his father's killer?! The ACTION?!

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie!

I can't wait to see this

on Paramount Plus.

• Haha 1