ronisssantos

Eternals | Marvel Studios | Nov 5 2021 | Magnum-Opus by Oscar winner Chloe Zhao - Marvel's first rotten movie | Dips into the 40s on RT, B CinemaScore

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

Some of you are overreacting. 

Box office for Eternals would definitely be bigger with better reception, but still did very fine, pretty much the same Shang Chi did. 

And the movie is far from hated, i know some people think a movie reception ends with Cinemascore but it's not always the case. On social media, since released, pretty much every week i see a semi-viral compliment tweets about Eternals, many people saying they dislike it when saw it first but it's growing on them, etc. 

It's definitely not a consensus, but it is gaining more respect and have a very loving fanbase that it's growing. Fwiw, the movie also was massive on streaming, for a movie people act like everyone hate, pulling such strong numbers after theatrical release is a very positive sign.

There's no reason for Marvel to dump these characters, they're already presented along their mithology, the most difficult part is past now. And honestly they doesn't need to change the director, she didn't get pretty much any hate or people dismissing her talent because of this movie, the main complain was the script leading to mess which was already written when she came aboard (she changed some things but still the base was there). Just be more careful with the script next time and they're fine.

This just feels like a shitton of copium lol. Social media doesn't mean shit and FB 3 also produced big numbers on streaming, it's not getting a sequel is it? Also Zhao did two rewrites of the first draft. She didn't just "change some things". 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Box office isn't the only money movies make. In fact, the main purpose of box office is to cover the release cost, budget is covered from TV, streaming and home media itself.

Yes & every MCU movie is a content for D+, a D+ MCU show cost $100-150M so even if a MCU movie lose money it would still be a content for D+ & more people will watch it on D+ compare to D+ show.

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

This just feels like a shitton of copium lol. Social media doesn't mean shit and FB 3 also produced big numbers on streaming, it's not getting a sequel is it? Also Zhao did two rewrites of the first draft. She didn't just "change some things". 

Maybe because FB3 is the third movie from a super huge and stablished franchise that somehow keeps losing 200M each movie? (And JK is trash and bad for business bringing awful publicity everytime).

How exactly this is similar to Eternals? This is a stupid comparisson.

She rewrite it and still the whole plot and structure was ready before she came in to direct, she didn't changed it. This was heavily discussed, probably the movie would be worse if she didn't revise it because there was even more characters originally. And none of this change the fact that her direction wasn't a problem for most people, why wouldn't she return? Feige was looking for to bring Alan Taylor back even after The Dark World lol.

5 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Maybe because FB3 is the third movie from a super huge and stablished franchise that somehow keeps losing 200M each movie? (And JK is trash and bad for business bringing awful publicity everytime).

She rewrite it and still the whole plot and structure was ready before she came in to direct, she didn't changed it. This was heavily discussed, probably the movie would be worse if she didn't revise it because there was even more characters originally. And none of this change the fact that her direction wasn't a problem for most people, why wouldn't she return? Feige was looking for to bring Alan Taylor back even after The Dark World lol.

Main reason we won't get an Eternals 2 is because the first one sucked balls and had bad legs, and not compelling leads, and bad direction of action sequences, and the general discussion around it is how it was rotten and didn't do well, and the awful decisions taken by characters in the movie. Oh wait that's a lot of reasons, my bad. But Twitter will somehow get it a sequel because "People feel positively based on my unscientific follows".

Also, Eternals hasn't trended a single day, the trends you see are tailored to you, if you see it trending its because it is in your pocket of Twitter.

I do hope they announce Eternals 2 with Zhao just to see the meltdown on OW when it opens below 50M.

Edited by grim22
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

Main reason we won't get an Eternals 2 is because the first one sucked balls and had bad legs, and not compelling leads, and bad direction of action sequences, and the general discussion around it is how it was rotten and didn't do well, and the awful decisions taken by characters in the movie. Oh wait that's a lot of reasons, my bad. But Twitter will somehow get it a sequel because "People feel positively based on my unscientific follows".

Also, Eternals hasn't trended a single day, the trends you see are tailored to you, if you see it trending its because it is in your pocket of Twitter.

It’s also the first MCU to be rotten on RT. The movie was pretty much rejected by everyone. No need for a sequel that will flop. 

4 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I do hope they announce Eternals 2 with Zhao just to see the meltdown on OW when it opens below 50M.

Why you're so mad? Lol 

I mean almost all of your complains also categorize as "unscientific personal opinions", you're talking as if this gets some Morbius reception or something. And talking about my "pocket of Twitter" as if you keep tracking if it trended everyday, it was literally trending during the OW of Thor and shock, most people was praising it. 

Also made 1.5B minutes on Nielsen chart which is one of the biggest numbers ever for a movie even if it's not an original D+ and gross +400M before it.

I'm not saying it's the type of consensus movie, but it's not the hated piece of shit some of you think it is just because you dislike it. Sequels from rotten movies get made everyday but somehow Marvel can't do it, yeah sure.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Eternals is like 27th movie in a super huge and established franchise lol. Also FB3 did like 800 mil on a service with like half the subs as D+. I guess it should get a sequel because of its good streaming numbers. Probably some people on twitter making Newt fancams or something too.

And you can't assume what the script was like before she came on board. All I know is that she did did two rewrites of the script and got not one but two different credits for writing it meaning she deserves blame for it being bad. Also I'd love to see how you can show that most people liked the directing. Like that's an insanely hard distinction to make.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Eternals is like 27th movie in a super huge and established franchise lol. Also FB3 did like 800 mil on a service with like half the subs as D+. I guess it should get a sequel because of its good streaming numbers. Probably some people on twitter making Newt fancams or something too.

And you can't assume what the script was like before she came on board. All I know is that she did did two rewrites of the script and got not one but two different credits for writing it meaning she deserves blame for it being bad. Also I'd love to see how you can show that most people liked the directing. Like that's an insanely hard distinction to make.

Doesn't matter if Eternals is the 27th movie on MCU, it doesn't have any stablished character, it's a completely standalone movie beyond a few lines, it's literally the first movie with all these people and mithology. FB3 is still the third movie that grossed half of the first despite having Dumbledore, Hogwarts and shit. They're not the same thing, doesn't matter how much you twist them to make it look like.

So yeah, still a stupid comparisson but whatever makes you happy, i'm fine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@ThomasNicole let's put our business hats here . Sure it had good streaming numbers but we all know that is nothing compared to revenue stream from a theatrical film.

This movie made 400m on a 200m budget with bad word of mouth and bad legs.  And worst of all it's forgettable and like it's existence in the movie discussion is almost non existent , the movie came and completely disappeared from conversation.

In fact it being first rotten mcu movie generated more conversation than the contents of the movie itself.

Yeah lots of  sequels from rotten movies happens but there is a lot of context , box office, P VOD sales etc to be considered.

Disney/marvel are more picky than other studios into sinking money into their projects .

Just don't see how they can sink more money into eternals direct sequel without first trying to build awareness through some cameos. 

Marvel's aim I think is to start building moment and create more excitement and after all some minor setbacks in phase 4 , Don't think fast tracking a sequel to a movie many didn't like seems unwise business sequel.

Zhao should be changed, she is great at handling solitary characters but not ensemble characters and massive worlds.

Just look at her filmography ,she is not proper fit for this universe and the first movie showed that.

Found the world and characters incredibly boring IMO. 

You loved  the movie but we can at least agree the general reception found this unappealing and unengaging.

And once again don't let streaming numbers fool you.

Starwars shows have been taking in huge streaming numbers but only one movie is in active development and it still has doubts around it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

Doesn't matter if Eternals is the 27th movie on MCU, it doesn't have any stablished character, it's a completely standalone movie beyond a few lines, it's literally the first movie with all these people and mithology. FB3 is still the third movie that grossed half of the first despite having Dumbledore, Hogwarts and shit. They're not the same thing, doesn't matter how much you twist them to make it look like.

So yeah, still a stupid comparisson but whatever makes you happy, i'm fine.

Eternals is an MCU movie whether it has little references to the wider universe. It's part of the franchise so FB3 comp is fine and don't get how it's stupid???

Here is an example ,the cornetto trilogy by edgar wright is made up of three completely standalone films.

2 hours ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

@ThomasNicole let's put our business hats here . Sure it had good streaming numbers but we all know that is nothing compared to revenue stream from a theatrical film.

This movie made 400m on a 200m budget with bad word of mouth and bad legs.  And worst of all it's forgettable and like it's existence in the movie discussion is almost non existent , the movie came and completely disappeared from conversation.

In fact it being first rotten mcu movie generated more conversation than the contents of the movie itself.

Yeah lots of  sequels from rotten movies happens but there is a lot of context , box office, P VOD sales etc to be considered.

Disney/marvel are more picky than other studios into sinking money into their projects .

Just don't see how they can sink more money into eternals direct sequel without first trying to build awareness through some cameos. 

Marvel's aim I think is to start building moment and create more excitement and after all some minor setbacks in phase 4 , Don't think fast tracking a sequel to a movie many didn't like seems unwise business sequel.

Zhao should be changed, she is great at handling solitary characters but not ensemble characters and massive worlds.

Just look at her filmography ,she is not proper fit for this universe and the first movie showed that.

Found the world and characters incredibly boring IMO. 

You loved  the movie but we can at least agree the general reception found this unappealing and unengaging.

And once again don't let streaming numbers fool you.

Starwars shows have been taking in huge streaming numbers but only one movie is in active development and it still has doubts around it.

I agreed, i said it's not a consensus multiple times. I just said it's also not the hated piece of shit some here are pretending to be. 

Of course they won't simply make a sequel out of nowhere, all these MCU movies are blocks that builds a bigger thing. They probably will use these characters in other projects like they're doing for years, doesn't mean it will stop there and there won't be a sequel in a few years because it will, which story in MCU stopped with just 1 movie? Just The Incredible Hulk, and because of the rights. 

And why everyone simply dismiss streaming numbers when it's convenient? It's a relevant data, we're in streaming era, it's time to accept that. The movie did overall good business theatrical (while it could be bigger with better reception let's not pretend 400M now is bad in the environment it dropped, afterall if you take China of the equation, only 2 movies really blowed this number last year), and it also pulled great numbers in home entertaining, this is not irrelevant. 

I'm not here trying to proof the movie is a smash hit or a critical / audience darling, i'm just arguing that pretending the box office wasn't good and almost everyone hated the movie and even ignoring streaming data isn't fair or a good reason to expect that for the first time Marvel will simply give up off a property.

2 hours ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Eternals is an MCU movie whether it has little references to the wider universe. It's part of the franchise so FB3 comp is fine and don't get how it's stupid???

Here is an example ,the cornetto trilogy by edgar wright is made up of three completely standalone films.

Because despite being a MCU movie this is also the first entry of Eternals, which data do we have to say it's doomed and won't see a grow of interest?

Box office? Decent. Streaming numbers? Great. Critical / Audience reception? Mixed, but nothing absurd that can't change in the future with a better received project. And there's nothing to compare either, since it's a first movie. 

FB3 is in a completely different situation, we know for a fact that it's losing audience. It grossed less than 50% of the first one, we can make this direct comparisson, the franchise also had 2 bad received direct sequels in a row, and it's existence falls under a lot of controversies including hate speech from it's creator that leads to a rupture with it's focus of interest audience, which is young people. 

To me the difference it's very obvious but i'm getting tired of dancing in circles here.