CJohn

DEADPOOL 2 WEEKEND THREAD | Spoilers = BANNED INTO OBLIVION | Dp2 125M and 300 WW debut...Asgard Sun update pg 123

4 minutes ago, RRA said:

You’re going the round about way of saying the LA Times were right. 

I always believe that actions speak louder than words. 

Really not sure what your point is. SS was very successful at the box office. That's the only thing I'm clarifying. If WB expected more than those expectations were not based in reality. WB had bigger problems that year than Suicide Squad.

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

It was more than just those films, things like Jupiter Ascending, Pan and King Arthur were contributing factors as well. $745m on a $175m budget without China is a great result and I know you dislike WB/DC but you can't say that it wasn't a hit

As the LA Times reported, who might know more about Hollywood than either of us because that is sorta their backyard, consensus internally at WB was that both BVS/SS would’ve made more money if they were better.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.latimes.com/business/hollywood/la-fi-ct-warner-bros-shakeup-20161214-story.html%3foutputType=amp

that 2016 dc slate wasn’t the only reason why he lost his job, but clearly it was the cherry on top for his walking papers. 

I mean argue if you want that those movies made a lot of money, but for the WB bookkeepers themselves it wasn’t enough. Actions > Words

1 minute ago, Mekanos said:

Really not sure what your point is. SS was very successful at the box office. That's the only thing I'm clarifying. If WB expected more than those expectations were not based in reality. WB had bigger problems that year than Suicide Squad.

The point I’m making is I’m right.

:hahaha:

Obviously Warner brothers doesn’t care for sequels to succesfull films cause I am not seeing a MOS2 , SS2 , JL 2 on the horizon. Snyder, the architect , the visionary of this super succesfull string of films has also been fired. Warner hates money confirmed.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, terrestrial said:

Deadline in the past only used the typical % for this and % for that calculations, I've never seen them include special details, atypical for the average movie, so I take them with a grain of salt. Did they changed that? I am out of the loop still

That includes higher takes of a certain distributer here in Germany and so on

Didn't we 'speak' about that a few years back? As in weren't you the one that pointed that 'Deadline only calculates those'-detail out to me, as I first found for myself those Deadline 'charts'? I think there is a thread about that somewhere here (or was it in the home video thread?)

They did had some special case were they used knowledge specific for a movie instead of a general rules.

For example for the hunger games movies they used at the best of their knowledge the international market pre-sales instead of using a % of the oversea box office, on the Amazing Spider Man 1-2 they used the knowledge that sony didn't had access to merchandise but that they got around 25m from Marvel:

http://deadline.com/2015/03/amazing-spider-man-2-profit-box-office-2014-1201389608/

But it is not systematic, specially recently, at the time they did seem to put more effort into it.

Has for Men of Steel there was a lot of Internet talk about product placement paying for all or most of it, being profitable before release, etc.... I think there is a reason that this type of talk never occurred for other movies after that (even for the giant product placement affair a la Bond/Marvel/Minions), it was probably quite false and people mistaken product placement for marketing budget deal with actual money transfer, it can be 10 marketing dollar for actual dollar if they even occur according to the leaked Sony product placement deal on a James Bond movie. On the Bond movie, product placement help those budget down, but they can still go over 200m net after rebates, help them being just 220m instead of 240m.

• Like 3

People thinking BvS & SS were financial hits because they made short-term money are hilarious.

Sure, it made JL lose over a billion (potential revenue) and made them unable to do anything with their biggest brand for at least 3-4 years but they made $100m so yay.

16 minutes ago, RRA said:

consensus internally at WB was that both BVS/SS would’ve made more money if they were better.

Well that sound very trivial, does not really require a insider talking to a journalist to imagine people thought that, specially with BvS multiplier....

LA Times reporting is:

Additionally, the studio has endured heavy criticism for its creative stewardship of its key DC Comics franchise, facing dismal reviews for this year's "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice" and "Suicide Squad."

Both were considered financially successful, grossing $1.6 billion combined. However, the studio likely would have made more money from the superhero epics if the quality had been higher, said a person close to the company not authorized to comment.

When you are trying to build a Marvel like decade long success story movie universe, the quality output failure is a big enough reason to loose your job, because chance are that it will lead to Justice League / Transformer 5 type of box office direction instead of Marvel Phase 3 box office direction.

People at the studio thinking that it would have been likely the movies would have made more would have they been better is not really indicative of anything.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

IW international actuals increased almost $3M (1218,7M to 1221,5M). Not bad. 

Dom = 596M

OS-China = 918M

China = 303M

Is 1 billion OS without China locked?

Edited by Mekanos

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

Suicide Squad was huge. Especially overseas. 421m overseas without China. Wonder if Will Smith helped it a lot overseas

I don't think Smith is a bigger draw overseas then he is in the US:Someone who is still a name but can't draw anywhere near what he could  a few years ago.

Anyway,Smith might have been the draw but it's Margot Robbie who walked away with the film.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

IW had direct comp, it's drop is fine. I do think it will go up slightly. Still think that Deadpool 2 could go under IT when all is said and done.

I was dead wrong. Bravo to the people who called the 20% Saturday to Sunday drop.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

Obviously Warner brothers doesn’t care for sequels to succesfull films cause I am not seeing a MOS2 , SS2 , JL 2 on the horizon. Snyder, the architect , the visionary of this super succesfull string of films has also been fired. Warner hates money confirmed.

I hope you are being ironic...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

Is 1 billion OS without China locked?

(I'm not an expert in numbers, just a box office fan). 

This we intl accounted for 87M aprox. Of which, 54 came from China, and 33M from OS-Ch. 

OS-China is now at 918M, 82M away from $1B. It may need a "2.48x 4th we" to get there. I feel it falling short by 10M or so. DP2, Solo next week and JW the following ... bad competition. 

I wish it could make 700M dom, 380M Ch and 1B OS-Ch, but i'm afraid it's gonna fall short of all three numbers. By short, but short after all. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, expensiveho said:

People thinking BvS & SS were financial hits because they made short-term money are hilarious.

Sure, it made JL lose over a billion (potential revenue) and made them unable to do anything with their biggest brand for at least 3-4 years but they made $100m so yay.

BVS in particular was designed to kick the DCU into MCU territory and failed. it was meant to be much more then just a one off success.

11 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I don't think Smith is a bigger draw overseas then he is in the US:Someone who is still a name but can't draw anywhere near what he could  a few years ago.

Anyway,Smith might have been the draw but it's Margot Robbie who walked away with the film.

Often, specially outside comedy, drawing power tend to show a bit more overseas than in the US, where American movies have to compete with local and all around the world movies and a star help make it separate itself. The difference between American Made having a a-list lead actor with a movie like War Dog not having one will express itself much more oversea than in the US.

The reason Suicide Squad did more than most Superheroes movie in a market like Japan is probably in good part having Smith in it.

Brazil&Mexico are 2 of the best Will Smith Market (both is awareness and popularity among aware metric in those market are in the best there is), Suicide Squad did really really well there also. I guess this is pretty much the only very imperfect way to try to evaluate someone drawing power, did the movie do specially good in their best market vs market where they are weaker.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

I thought Deadpool 2 was released this weekend. Not BvS and SS.

Maybe we should talk about whether or not Batman 1989 was profitable or not.

Or how about The Wizard of Oz.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, baumer said:

I thought Deadpool 2 was released this weekend. Not BvS and SS.

Maybe we should talk about whether or not Batman 1989 was profitable or not.

Or how about The Wizard of Oz.

Would Gone with the Wind make money like it did back in the day? Let's talk about that. 

• Like 2