CJohn

DEADPOOL 2 WEEKEND THREAD | Spoilers = BANNED INTO OBLIVION | Dp2 125M and 300 WW debut...Asgard Sun update pg 123

16 minutes ago, A2k Raptor said:

JL can be arguably called a flop. But a movie that does 2.19x (658/300) the prod budget worldwide cannot be tagged a disaster.

Pacific Rim 411/190 = 2.16

Edge of Tomorrow 370.5/178 = 2.08

Legend of Tarzan 356.7/180 = 1.98

Theatrical revenue for JL will be about 260.

OS-China + Dom + China: 323*0.33 + 229*0.55 + 106*0.25 = 259

So it would need to dip in to non-theatrical revenue to cover rest of it's prod budget and then there's a big marketing budget still to recover so like the reports say, it lost money. 'Flop' may be fair but not 'disaster'.

That does applies to Solo too... I guess...:ph34r:

Just now, meriodejaneiro said:

That does applies to Solo too... I guess...:ph34r:

Yeah, if Solo does 650+ no way it's a 'disaster' at the bo. A movie would need a prod budget close to 400 to be tagged a disaster with 650+ ww.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, A2k Raptor said:

JL can be arguably called a flop. But a movie that does 2.19x (658/300) the prod budget worldwide cannot be tagged a disaster.

Pacific Rim 411/190 = 2.16

Edge of Tomorrow 370.5/178 = 2.08

Legend of Tarzan 356.7/180 = 1.98

Theatrical revenue for JL will be about 260.

OS-China + Dom + China: 323*0.33 + 229*0.55 + 106*0.25 = 259

So it would need to dip in to non-theatrical revenue to cover rest of it's prod budget and then there's a big marketing budget still to recover so like the reports say, it lost money. 'Flop' may be fair but not 'disaster'.

24 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

Losing 60 million is a disaster for a movie with DC's big heroes that's meant to launch a universe. Though it was obvious at some point that WB threw the towel on the movie. When exactly is anybody's guess.

WB lost a lot more money on King Arthur, now that was a disaster! $60m is small fry in comparison

26 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Most product placement money is quid pro quo in terms of mutual marketing - it's not money that goes to the studio or film except in rare circumstances.  Minions had almost $600m worth which is why advertising for it was everywhere and non stop for a year.

Deadline in their Most Valuable Blockbuster Tournament round up pegged MOS for $42.7m in profit (less than1/3rd of Thor The Dark World and 1/9th IM3 that year)

http://deadline.com/2014/03/iron-man-3-gravity-man-of-steel-profit-most-profitable-movies-2013-701662/

Thank you, I am aware to that - in part.

I think I have read something then that with Man if Steel is something done in another way, but it is too long ago, really not sure

Deadline in the past only used the typical % for this and % for that calculations, I've never seen them include special details, atypical for the average movie, so I take them with a grain of salt. Did they changed that? I am out of the loop still

That includes higher takes of a certain distributer here in Germany and so on

Didn't we 'speak' about that a few years back? As in weren't you the one that pointed that 'Deadline only calculates those'-detail out to me, as I first found for myself those Deadline 'charts'? I think there is a thread about that somewhere here (or was it in the home video thread?)

Edited by terrestrial

I'm surprised DP2 had a strong Sunday hold. Surprised because it felt like it wasn't holding well at all OD or on Saturday. 

At the same time my theater was absolutely packed yesterday for it so I was hoping it would get a good hold but didn't want to get my hopes up lol 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mekanos said:

Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman were very successful. MOS and BVS were profitable but underperformed considering their big openings but weak legs, it was obvious WB wanted more from them. JL was an outright disaster.

Not sure what you would call that batting average.

When people say SS was successful, I think of Greg Silverman who got fired because BVS/SS didn’t make enough for WB’s taste. (LA Times reported it.) 

3 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Did anyone else notice Fox fudged Super Troopers 2 this weekend? 

+23.8% despite losing 900+ screens lol

Nice try

We've been through this before.  It's not fudge.  It's double features and drive ins.  Super Troopers played with DP2 in some cases and the gross gets given to both movies.  

• Like 2

The Canadian holiday doesn't really affect films much on Sunday, it's the Monday where the effect is truly noticeable.  Today I saw DP2 at 1pm.  50% sold out.  The 3pm show was sold out.  IW had a sold out 4pm show.  This will show up when the Monday numbers are out.  Many films will hold about 5-10% better than normal Monday's.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, RRA said:

When people say SS was successful, I think of Greg Silverman who got fired because BVS/SS didn’t make enough for WB’s taste. (LA Times reported it.) 

http://deadline.com/2017/04/most-profitable-movies-2016-secret-life-of-pets-deadpool-disney-1202060846/

It made 90% of its budget in profits, which is a better ratio than GOTG2 last year. Also more profitable than the similarly budgeted Doctor Strange. If Silverman got fired it was surely more for BVS than SS (although I'm sure Warners was not fond of the audience reception to SS either).

Edited by Mekanos
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, baumer said:

The Canadian holiday doesn't really affect films much on Sunday, it's the Monday where the effect is truly noticeable.  Today I saw DP2 at 1pm.  50% sold out.  The 3pm show was sold out.  IW had a sold out 4pm show.  This will show up when the Monday numbers are out.  Many films will hold about 5-10% better than normal Monday's.

Here's hoping Deadpool 2 gets a good hold for Monday like it did on Sunday then 

:sparta:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

Yep. I'm expecting $12.5-13M for DP2 and $3-3.1M for IW.

• Astonished 2

4 minutes ago, baumer said:

I was weirded out to see so many mofos drinking Labatt during the middle of the day before I found out about the break.

• Haha 2