CJohn

DEADPOOL 2 WEEKEND THREAD | Spoilers = BANNED INTO OBLIVION | Dp2 125M and 300 WW debut...Asgard Sun update pg 123

9 minutes ago, RRA said:

When people say SS was successful, I think of Greg Silverman who got fired because BVS/SS didn’t make enough for WB’s taste. (LA Times reported it.) 

It was more than just those films, things like Jupiter Ascending, Pan and King Arthur were contributing factors as well. $745m on a $175m budget without China is a great result and I know you dislike WB/DC but you can't say that it wasn't a hit

Edited by Jonwo
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ACSlater said:

I was weirded out to see so many mofos drinking Labatt during the middle of the day before I found out about the break.

On what day?  Today or Sunday?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Biggestgeekever said:

Yep. I'm expecting $12.5-13M for DP2 and $3-3.1M for IW.

Well, I'm going a bit more bold.  I'm going to guess it will do in the 14.5 range.  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Most product placement money is quid pro quo in terms of mutual marketing - it's not money that goes to the studio or film except in rare circumstances.  Minions had almost $600m worth which is why advertising for it was everywhere and non stop for a year.

Deadline in their Most Valuable Blockbuster Tournament round up pegged MOS for $42.7m in profit (less than1/3rd of Thor The Dark World and 1/9th IM3 that year)

http://deadline.com/2014/03/iron-man-3-gravity-man-of-steel-profit-most-profitable-movies-2013-701662/

Almost of these "Wow! That movie made a ton of money through Product Placment" stories are B.S. In most causes it's more  a case of both the film and movie thinking they will benefit from publicity..the product from being in a hit movie, the movie from all the what amounts to free advertising with the tie in ads.

In fact, I think the  only franchise that can get big straight up money  for product placement  is the Bond franchise. And 007 is unique in that upscale products, who usually don't seem to care much about being featured in a movie..it does not fit their marketing strategy (snob appeal, basically) are willing to pay sizable amounts to be associated with James Bond.

I was weirded out to see so many mofos drinking Labatt during the middle of the day before I found out about the break.

Are you still here?  If you saw people drinking yesterday that's pretty normal.  But yes, today, I guess it would be a surprise.

11 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

It was more than just those films, things like Jupiter Ascending, Pan and King Arthur were contributing factors as well. $745m on a $175m budget without China is a great result and I know you dislike WB/DC but you can't say that it wasn't a hit

Fact is it's a given that every year a studio will have one or two big flops. It's  Three or Four, or a really spectacular case of mismanagement, that will you get you canned as company president or production head.

8 minutes ago, baumer said:

On what day?  Today or Sunday?

Both but especially today since it was a Monday. 

At this Tapas bar and man it is crowded. Hell just make this tapas place into a topless place and I would never leave.

I guess canadians can be fun :)

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Did anyone else notice Fox fudged Super Troopers 2 this weekend? 

+23.8% despite losing 900+ screens lol

Nice try

WHy the hell did they even bother?

Both but especially today since it was a Monday. 

At this Tapas bar and man it is crowded. Hell just make this tapas place into a topless place and I would never leave.

I guess canadians can be fun :)

There'a lot of hot women in this country, especially in downtown Toronto.  But if you want to go to a place here the women are just ridiculously hot, try London Ontario, 2 hours west of Toronto.  Something in the water there or something.

14 minutes ago, baumer said:

Well, I'm going a bit more bold.  I'm going to guess it will do in the 14.5 range.  

Usually would have gone with 64-67% drop for 10.5-11.5 but thinking 56-59% drop for 13-14 due to Victoria Day.

14.5 would be sweet and gives a neat 140 4-day.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Almost of these "Wow! That movie made a ton of money through Product Placment" stories are B.S. In most causes it's more  a case of both the film and movie thinking they will benefit from publicity..the product from being in a hit movie, the movie from all the what amounts to free advertising with the tie in ads.

In fact, I think the  only franchise that can get big straight up money  for product placement  is the Bond franchise. And 007 is unique in that upscale products, who usually don't seem to care much about being featured in a movie..it does not fit their marketing strategy (snob appeal, basically) are willing to pay sizable amounts to be associated with James Bond.

Kingsman had a fair amount of product placement that was quite upscale, maybe not on the level of Bond. 

5 minutes ago, baumer said:

Are you still here?  If you saw people drinking yesterday that's pretty normal.  But yes, today, I guess it would be a surprise.

Yep here until Friday. I don't have shit to do with my trading license voluntarily surrendered due to the f*cking subpoena. 

1 hour ago, terrestrial said:

Thank you, I am aware to that - in part.

I think I have read something then that with Man if Steel is something done in another way, but it is too long ago, really not sure

Deadline in the past only used the typical % for this and % for that calculations, I've never seen them include special details, atypical for the average movie, so I take them with a grain of salt. Did they changed that? I am out of the loop still

That includes higher takes of a certain distributer here in Germany and so on

Didn't we 'speak' about that a few years back? As in weren't you the one that pointed that 'Deadline only calculates those'-detail out to me, as I first found for myself those Deadline 'charts'? I think there is a thread about that somewhere here (or was it in the home video thread?)

As @dudalb pointed out the media and fans always often misunderstand product placement and mutual marketing deals as money going to the studio.  It does in that it adds to or offsets some of their marketing budget so they can spend less or get more bang for their buck, but rarely is it ever a cash payment.

Deadline's yearly reporting is yes more a ballpark figure because they just can't know some details like the amt of participation or even the budget & marketing and they also project future ancillaries but as a ball park figure or as comparing one film to another using similar criteria they're the best we have except for the Sony leaks.  The best evidence we have that WB wasn't thrilled with MOSs revenue is that 5 plus years later there's still no straight sequel - meanwhile WW2 was green lit immediately.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, baumer said:

There'a lot of hot women in this country, especially in downtown Toronto.  But if you want to go to a place here the women are just ridiculously hot, try London Ontario, 2 hours west of Toronto.  Something in the water there or something.

Oh My God! Road trip!!!!!

30 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

http://deadline.com/2017/04/most-profitable-movies-2016-secret-life-of-pets-deadpool-disney-1202060846/

It made 90% of its budget in profits, which is a better ratio than GOTG2 last year. Also more profitable than the similarly budgeted Doctor Strange. If Silverman got fired it was surely more for BVS than SS (although I'm sure Warners was not fond of the audience reception to SS either).

BvS was supposed to launch the DCU into the same orbit as the MCU. It just did not happen. I think that was a major factor, though certainly not the only one, in Silverman being forced out.

SS is weird, made a lot of money but except for Harley Quinn people did not like it all that well. Loved Margot Robbie as Harley, the rest ranged from "Meh" to out and out dislike (Leto as the Joker was not very well liked;IMHO it was the scripting and the production desingers fault more then Leto who I think could be a very good Joker given the right script and dropping the punk look.

Edited by dudalb

4 minutes ago, dudalb said:

BvS was supposed to launch the DCU into the same orbit as the MCU. It just did not happen.

SS is weird, made a lot of money but except for Harley Quinn people did not like it all that well.

I think it was helped by an empty August. It could at least be dumb trashy fun while the audience expected something more action-packed for BVS instead of a slowburn drama.

6 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

The best evidence we have that WB wasn't thrilled with MOSs revenue is that 5 plus years later there's still no straight sequel - meanwhile WW2 was green lit immediately.

I've always kinda assumed WB considers BVS MOS2 - though the fact that they put Batman in it tells you how much confidence they had in it otherwise.

1 hour ago, Mekanos said:

http://deadline.com/2017/04/most-profitable-movies-2016-secret-life-of-pets-deadpool-disney-1202060846/

It made 90% of its budget in profits, which is a better ratio than GOTG2 last year. Also more profitable than the similarly budgeted Doctor Strange. If Silverman got fired it was surely more for BVS than SS (although I'm sure Warners was not fond of the audience reception to SS either).

You’re going the round about way of saying the LA Times were right. 

I always believe that actions speak louder than words.