CJohn

DEADPOOL 2 WEEKEND THREAD | Spoilers = BANNED INTO OBLIVION | Dp2 125M and 300 WW debut...Asgard Sun update pg 123

27 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

BOP forecast and TCs: https://pro.boxoffice.com/long-range-tracking-hotel-transylvania-3-summer-vacation-skyscraper/

Hotel Transylvania: 45/155 (OW range of 40-55M)

Skyscraper: 44/128 (OW range of 40-60M)

Solo: 120/330 (-15%) (3 day range of 115-140M and 4 day range of 140-170M)

Action Point: 12/30 (-11/-12%)

Incredibles 2: 115/395 (+5%/-)

Jurassic World: 130/327.5 (-4%)

Adrift: 2,800

Action Point: 2,400

Upgrade: 1,300

Damn, Paramount is dumping Action Point.

They’re projecting Solo+JW2 under BP and IW. That would have been a fun club for December.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, baumer said:

Go see Deadpool 2!  The first half imo isn't as good as the first movie.  It's funny but a little off.  The second half is pure deadpool and some of the best comic books stuff I've seen.  RR and Brolin are awesome, it's funny as hell and the mid credit scene is the best one ever filmed.  There's two parts of the movie that I almost died from laughing.  Gotta go to work, but really enjoyed it.

8.5/10

I agree completely with this, the first half was funny but I think it was fairly abrupt and clunky compared to how well the first is put together.  However by the second half I was fully onboard and loving it as much as the first.

Given the shaky history of comedy sequels, I was really happy with it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Alli said:

June is incredibly weak this year.    July and August are strong. for example,  I see skyscraper overperforming in july. The battle for the men audience is fierce in july.

skyscraper is not going to over perform lmao

11 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I hope to god June has some surprises in store because the fun of tracking IW and Deadpool 2 might not be there. Solo's predictions keep going down, and now Ocean's 8 is tracking pretty low (Variety has it at 30-38M while Deadline extended the roof to 45M). The June 1 releases aren't breaking out either, and JW might go hilariously low. It's basically down to Incredibles, Hereditary, Tag, and the June 29 releases.

I think O8 will breakout. Female audience hasn't really been served since Freed, and strong reviews can probably help convince a lot of guys to see it on date nights. But I mean, I never expected 50m+ for OW though, so I think 40-45 would be really good. The legs will be the most interesting thing to watch. I also think we might get mini meltdowns over I2's OW, which I suspect might just barely scratch 100. But legs will be *ahem* incredible I'm sure, so any freak outs would be unwarranted. 

But yeah, I think it's a very strong possibility our two biggest OWs of the summer are behind us after this weekend. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

I agree completely with this, the first half was funny but I think it was fairly abrupt and clunky compared to how well the first is put together.  However by the second half I was fully onboard and loving it as much as the first.

Given the shaky history of comedy sequels, I was really happy with it

t's hard to make a briliant follow up to something that was so loved.  They did a good job here...the movie just gets better as it goes along.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, baumer said:

Go see Deadpool 2!  The first half imo isn't as good as the first movie.  It's funny but a little off.  The second half is pure deadpool and some of the best comic books stuff I've seen.  RR and Brolin are awesome, it's funny as hell and the mid credit scene is the best one ever filmed.  There's two parts of the movie that I almost died from laughing.  Gotta go to work, but really enjoyed it.

8.5/10

Yeah, the first 1/3 is kind of a slog honestly. I had to pee really badly but then  stuff happens and I completely forgot and stayed through the whole movie. lol

• Astonished 1

3 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I feel JWFK may be underestimated. Audiences will likely be more than willing for another round of dinos and the original didn’t seem to have much hype either.

The reviews will be key because it's being releasing two weeks earlier and the marketing has sucked compared to the last film. I think if it's mediocre, expect a softer OW

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

I think O8 will breakout. Female audience hasn't really been served since Freed, and strong reviews can probably help convince a lot of guys to see it on date nights. But I mean, I never expected 50m+ for OW though, so I think 40-45 would be really good. The legs will be the most interesting thing to watch. I also think we might get mini meltdowns over I2's OW, which I suspect might just barely scratch 100. But legs will be *ahem* incredible I'm sure, so any freak outs would be unwarranted. 

I mentioned in the O8 thread but $50m is probably the ceiling and $40-45m is more realistic. I think if WB are confident, they'll drop the review embargo early. 

30 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

The senior crew is out in force to see this showing of Book Club I am sitting in right now. Of the 60 or so total people here so far, I think there are maybe less than 5 of us who are not receiving Social Security. This thing might hit $20M this weekend judging by the crowd size at this theater.

Your respect for people over the age of 50 is touching.....

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

I can see JW going as low as 120/300 tbh. When BOP isn't much higher than that, something is wrong.

that would be a shocking drop. but i guess people satisfied their dino cravings with the first one

11 minutes ago, Alli said:

June is incredibly weak this year.    July and August are strong. for example,  I see skyscraper overperforming in july. The battle for the men audience is fierce in july.

June is weak?

JW2 and Incredibles 2 are bigger than anything from July or August.

August is a fucking desert.

Just now, grey ghost said:

Which annoys me greatly. GOTG and SS showed that August is a very lucrative period to release a tentpole. I dont get why the studios are not seeing this.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

June is weak?

JW2 and Incredibles 2 are bigger than anything from July or August.

Movies targeting men in july: Ant Man, Skyscraper, Equalizer 2, Fallout. I'd call this big competition for the male demo.

I don't think JW2 is dropping 50% from the previous film. That's almost unprecedented for a sequel, especially one to a film as well-liked by the GA as JW. Even applying the pretty harsh JP >TLW drop gets it to $418 million.

• Like 3