Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

5 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Star Wars being a non entity in Asia is a big problem and I see no remedy or cure, it is what it is.

Time for a Fast and Furious movie in space... set in the Star Wars universe. That ought to get at least the Chinese watching.:ph34r:

Edited by nevermore

3 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I have never said this, but I actually do wonder if there is a point where the loudest squeaky wheels on both sides make Star Wars not enjoyable for the general public.  

Right now you have a somewhat unknown but ever growing battle for Star Wars.  The right wing side of it is a bunch of Alt-Right types that decry Disney/Lucasfilm for having a diverse cast and accuse it of pandering to SJW activists and are on a mission to destroy whatever public audience feedback mechanism they can use.  

The other side is the Film Twitter and social activist types.  The people who are basically and sometimes literally screaming "Fuck you" at Kennedy and Disney/Lucasfilm every time they announce a new director that isn't a person of color or a female.  The same people that are furious that they won't put multiple gay or gender queer characters into the story and announce it from the roof tops. 

Nothing that Disney/Lucasfilm is ever going to be enough for either side and it wears on the whole process.  Good changes have been made like gender flipping characters and being more inclusive, but even after all of that we are left with stories this week about Lando's sexuality that neither side is happy with.  The irony is both sides nearly equally hate it and accuse the writers and Disney/Lucasfilm of pandering and being cowards.  

Agreed 100%. I have never seen a mainstream franchise get so much attention in the social justice department. I guess because of SW consistently being an American heavyweight? Outside of a few thinkpieces and bloggers there is relatively little rallying behind a more progressive version of, say, the MCU (even pre-Black Panther). It makes talking about Star Wars decidedly not enjoyable.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I am going to make one more overly positive prediction looking at anecdotal numbers and how they go this weekend that I will happily own when it is wrong.  

The preview number is going to look weak.  People will freak out.  

Looking at things for Friday and especially Saturday, they actually look pretty encouraging with everything factored in.  The word of mouth will be good, the Memorial Day crowd is more casual walk up types and the numbers will end up looking improved in comparison to the Thursday preview number.

I expect the preview number to be weak but for it to have a better multiplier than folks are expecting. Its a holiday weekend after all lol But meltdowns will occur and all the things to expect from a weak number (regardless of when it happens) and then when it recovers over the weekend somewhat, there will be another roller coaster ride. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1

Just now, nevermore said:

Time for a Fast and Furious movie in space... set in the Star Wars universe. That'll ought to get at least the Chinese watching.:ph34r:

There was a script along those lines floating around Hollywood like a decade ago. Heh. Maybe that writer should bring it back around.

2 minutes ago, nevermore said:

Time for a Fast and Furious movie in space... set in the Star Wars universe. That ought to get at least the Chinese watching.:ph34r:

Sebulba: A Star Wars Story

Why is there an early weekend thread? I can't remember the last time Memorial Day came by and there were no new wide-releases :(

Hey, at least I get to finally get around to Deadpool 2 this weekend though!!

8 minutes ago, A2k Raptor said:

What chance that solo ww < ro dom (532)?

if os-china shows a 48% drop from ro's 454.5, then it gives 236.

16 from china gives 236+16=252 os

then 280 dom gives 280+252=532 ww

No way a SW movie will make less than $600M WW :ph34r: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Blankments said:

Why is there an early weekend thread? I can't remember the last time Memorial Day came by and there were no new wide-releases :(

Hey, at least I get to finally get around to Deadpool 2 this weekend though!!

:hahaha:

47 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

7:00 2D: 93/124

7:00 3D: 60/113

7:30 2D: 38/67

7:30 3D: 23/78

Total: 214/384

The 3D show only gained one goddamn ticket from this afternoon :hahaha: There is a prime row without any seats sold! The walkups for this are TURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRIBLE

7:45: 24/63

8:00: 54/78

1 minute ago, Mekanos said:

I would love the Russos on Star Wars but they've said they're happy at Marvel and maybe they see Lucasfilm for the shitstorm that it is right now. 

Marvel got so lucky with the Russo Brothers. Yes Feige gets the credit for picking them to do Winter Soldier but I don't think even he would have known how well equipped they were going to be to take on Infinity War and (fingers crossed it's good) Avengers 4. It helps also the Russo Brothers have stuck with the exact same core production team for Winter Soldier, Civil War, Infinity War and Avengers 4. 

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, harrycaul said:

From a different angle, I've seen right here in this thread there are two factions- one wants it to move past nostalgia, the other insists it needs more jedi and light sabers.

I think they can never make as iconic characters as the ot...

That's the issue with sw.

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1