Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

9 will have a major issue increasing from Episode 8 domestically.

AOTC was largely panned but I remember everyone losing their minds seeing this.tumblr_static_tumblr_static_tumblr_lmale

Pretty much had the most iconic SW Character origin be told and a teasing of a huge showdown of Obi Wan and Anakin and Yoda vs Palpatine.

Sure that latter fight was 100% fanservice, but be honest that brough the fans back in droves for ROTS

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AndyLL said:

It's a bad weekend to release a major tentpole.  I don't understand why Disney was so arrogant about keeping it here.

Really? I don't remember anyone saying that when The Day After Tomorrow or X-Men: The Last Stand or Indiana Jones 4 came out.

Memorial Day weekend has always been a major moviegoing holiday. The problem these last several years is that the movies they've been putting there are a generally unexciting crop. That's all.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

AOTC was largely panned but I remember everyone losing their minds seeing this.tumblr_static_tumblr_static_tumblr_lmale

Pretty much had the most iconic SW Character origin be told and a teasing of a huge showdown of Obi Wan and Anakin and Yoda vs Palpatine.

Sure that latter fight was 100% fanservice, but be honest that brough the fans back in droves for ROTS

Unlike ST, we always knew what PT was building up to (Anakin's fall) and ROTS was the culmination of the build up. OTOH, right now, we are told that IX is the generic "all out war". Oh, gee, show me a blockbuster that doesn't have "all out war". That's not specific enough to put disfranchised butts in seats especially since SW has always done "all out war" and better. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, stripe said:

Obviously someone's friends are not a objective sample or proof of anything. But it's legit to note how the people we know is reacting to a certain movie. It's just some empirical data that may be helpful to draw a possible future.

At the end of the day your own opinion is really all that matters from an anecdotal perspective. But I'm having a hard time seeing Solo become a sleeper hit when it's core audience is heavily mixed on it's merits, as are critics. It doesn't read like the little movie that could, because it already has a high bar to meet due to it's brand and the fact it cost more than any other Star Wars film in history. How can we overstate a soft opening as something to celebrate when it lost all of it's momentum from heavily mixed reviews that continue to the present? I think if you have to hunt for a category to rate Solo a success, then the film has already taken a knee which is a foreboding sign in a VERY crowded marketplace. 

2 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

I saw Revenge of the Sith yesterday for fun in English and its such a treasure now. Every scene is a meme, its incredible. I think i might watch it only in English from now on, as the german dub makes all the funny scenes kinda...acceptable? And thats not good, that destroys the entertainment factor of the memes.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Unlike ST, we always knew what PT was building up to (Anakin's fall) and ROTS was the culmination of the build up. OTOH, right now, we are told that IX is the generic "all out war". Oh, gee, show me a blockbuster that doesn't have "all out war". That's not specific enough to put disfranchised butts in seats especially since SW has always done "all out war" and better. 

I understand why many people think that IX has no "hook" besides beeing the finale, but i would be very carefull with predictions like "under TLJ DOM" before we have atleast a teaser. If the marketing for IX is great - and Disney has no reason to not market it well - the hype will built again.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

There's no way IX doesn't drop OS from TLJ and no way it recovers so well dom to offset OS loss and get to 1.5B. This isn't just the case of coming after a divisive second movie, but with Solo bombing (OS is a disaster, no way to spin it), it's a case of seriously weakened brand and fatigue. Plus competition will be even more serious than what TLJ had.

Studios will no longer be afraid to release their big movie near Star Wars after Solo. 

Box office used to be much more fun to track back in the day where i had to use teletext on a monday to see the weekend numbers. I remember being blown away with the likes of Shrek 2's 2nd weekend against TDAT. Now we have tracking and even preview numbers given to us on the Friday so there is very little to be surprised at.

Imagine checking BP's OW on the monday to see it made 200m. It was much more shocking.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I saw Revenge of the Sith yesterday for fun in English and its such a treasure now. Every scene is a meme, its incredible. I think i might watch it only in English from now on, as the german dub makes all the funny scenes kinda...acceptable? And thats not good, that destroys the entertainment factor of the memes.

Yeah I know people blast the prequels but ROTS will likely remain a very popular film with the fanbase as its so overly dramatic and has like an all-star battle Royale of extremely powerful characters which I think shows that most of the fanbase is rather simplistic and want lightsaber fights. :ph34r:

I also think that film was very popular with kids and teens and brought a whole new generation into Star Wars. I know all my cousins who are about 10 years younger then me are all fans of SW due to ROTS

If you yell out "I have the high ground"

They know exactly what you mean lol. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

42 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

There were plenty of people who thought that Justice League was better than BvS and that didn't save it at the box office.

Of course.  Everyone is saying Solo is done for...I'm not watching it myself.  I'm just posting that it seems to have pleased the hardcore star wars fans I have seen reacting to it.  Not saying that changes my expectation by 1m, 10m, 100m or what.  It's just one more tidbit in the sea of jabbering that's all

1 minute ago, Jessie said:

Box office used to be much more fun to track back in the day where i had to use teletext on a monday to see the weekend numbers. I remember being blown away with the likes of Shrek 2's 2nd weekend against TDAT. Now we have tracking and even preview numbers given to us on the Friday so there is very little to be surprised at.

Imagine checking BP's OW on the monday to see it made 200m. It was much more shocking.

Times change. Now we have meltdowns on Thursdays because of early Deadline predictions for an early Thursday preview number. I can find fun in that :) And besides, weekends like Black Panther's or Jurassic Worlds where the numbers just keep getting bigger with every RTH/Empire update are just a blast.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I understand why many people think that IX has no "hook" besides beeing the finale, but i would be very carefull with predictions like "under TLJ DOM" before we have atleast a teaser. If the marketing for IX is great - and Disney has no reason to not market it well - the hype will built again.

We can always change our predictions.

Edited by Zakiyyah6

Just now, Lordmandeep said:

Yeah I know people blast the prequels but ROTS will likely remain a very popular film with the fanbase as its so overly dramatic and has like an all-star battle Royale of extremely powerful characters which I think shows that most of the fanbase is rather simplistic and want lightsaber fights. :ph34r:

I also think that film was very popular with kids and teens and brought a whole new generation into Star Wars. 

almost-everything-anakin-says-comes-back

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Rumpot said:

Of course.  Everyone is saying Solo is done for...I'm not watching it myself.  I'm just posting that it seems to have pleased the hardcore star wars fans I have seen reacting to it.  Not saying that changes my expectation by 1m, 10m, 100m or what.  It's just one more tidbit in the sea of jabbering that's all

I understand.

I ran out of likes so I can't like your post.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

:thinking:  There's a greater chance it goes under Ant-Man 2.

I'm almost certain that Solo will get badly beaten by Ant-Man 2 in terms of WW BO. 

8 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

true, marketing can turn fortunes around, but that's if you have an ace up your sleeve. Ragnarok changed the whole tone but it could afford it cause Thor franchise (and other MCU franchises in general) is not serialized, but stories are standalone with some very loose shared universe ties. OTOH, SW trilogies are heavily serialized and there's no ace in sight right now considering that TFA and TLJ didn't build up to anything and left too many open options but none of them really compelling. 

@Zakiyyah6 bring it! It's always more fun to watch the boxoffice when there are several strong competitors than when a movie has a smooth sail for a month or more. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, A2k Raptor said:

Average Rating: 3.2/5
User Ratings: 17,533

aud score started at 66% a few hours back. tlj is at 46%.

A2k, i really like you and your posts, but i really cant stand it when someone brings up internet audience scores :lol: they are 100% meaningless, because they are so easily manipulated. True WOM is showing in the drops and legs of a movie.

• Like 2