Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

4 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

yep, they need a plan. This is happening because they had no plan. They even boast about having no plan for ST, that any director can take the story where they see fit (as long as KK is OK with their ideas). Similar to what DCEU did. No plan in place but desire to achieve what MCU did overnight. That's not how the Force works. 

Everyone wants to be MCU even when they don't follow MCU model of shared universe (introduce characters in individual movies first and then put them in a team movie). SW wants to have Saga sequel + spin-offs that have no connection with ST without a plan where ST is going or why they are choosing those particular spin-offs outside of milking nostalgia. That was bound to backfire real soon and it did. similar to how DCEU jumped into team movies without a proper intro for the characters or any plan why those particular characters. 

This is agree with, but Solo isnt part of this because its stand alone and in no way part of the ongoing story. The biggest problem for SW was that TFA was a terrible base to build on. All the DCEU movies over preformed their quality, imagine what they could have done if they were good?

Edited by GirafficPark

• Community Manager
Just now, Valonqar said:

Cue this clusterfuck:

sainappropriate.jpg

And the movies were still successful and beloved. ;)

Most franchises unless they are based on books aren't planned out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, GirafficPark said:

That still doesnt address that Solo isnt part of an ongoing story. How do you account for it STILL being able to gross around the level of Winter Soldier? A movie thats a pretty central part of the MCU.

EP8 dropped in the same ballpark as Ep2 and 5. If ANH was SOO loved why did Empire drop just as hard?

MCU was still building it’s brand back then. They are getting bigger and bigger with each movie. Unlike Star Wars that’s falling hard with every installment. 

If we look at the Captain america franchise alone (since you decided to mention winter soilder)

Civil war > Winter soilder > The first avenger

And now Star Wars

TFA > TLJ > RO > SOLO

(yes I know that RO came before TLJ but I’m putting it here because it’s an anthology so it’s only comparable to solo)

As you can see Star Wars is declining with every movie. 108 million opening is not defendable for supposedly the biggest  franchise in the world. 

giphy.gif

Edited by GraceRandolph

8 hours ago, terrestrial said:

I didn't look into if its 'only' or only... General: They use in the most cases calculation models. I think Barnack told recently about them making more effort now (or for a time, that was the detail I was not sure how to understand), but as the Sony leak did not give us hints about merchandise... and the influence of a solo title to the complete franchises sales/income is not for us accessable anyway, I'd take that as a guess out of the industries averages for now

I was saying less and less effort now (those example above are extreme laziness, like if BP would get only 50% dbo....)

Sony leak show the merchandise revenues for every movies, the spider man when they have the merchandise were above 100m for example.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, GraceRandolph said:

MCU was still building it’s brand back then. They are getting bigger and bigger with each movie. Unlike Star Wars that’s falling hard with every installment. 

If we look at the Captain america franchise alone (since you decided to mention winter soilder)

Civil war > Winter soilder > The first avenger

And now Star Wars

TFA > TLJ > RO > SOLO

(yes I know that RO came before TLJ but I’m putting it here because it’s an anthology so it can’t really be compared)

As you can see Star Wars is declining with every movie. 108 million opening is not defendable for supposedly the biggest  franchise in the world. 

giphy.gif

Not comparable since SW has only one thread, the MCU has both the ongoing larger story and the individual stories.

Okay so people are using the term "Soylo" without having actually seen the movie. That makes sense. Losers. Han Solo in the movie is about as cocky and masculine as it gets.

• Thanks 1

• Community Manager
Just now, GirafficPark said:

Not comparable since SW has only one thread, the MCU has both the ongoing larger story and the individual stories.

I remember when the MCU fans freaked out when Age of Ultron dropped hard from The Avengers. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, John Marston said:

According to the international thread, and this is a huge shock, Solo could

potentially fall below 200m overseas

That would be under Paddington 2, Tomb Raider, Peter Rabbit, Maze Runner 3, Pacific Rim 2, and Fifty Shades Freed just to name some films from earlier this year. 

Andits sub 200m. Nothing more to be said 

Jurassic World 2 opens on June 6th in France, UK and Germany - the 3 biggest European SW markets. It's pretty much over.

1 minute ago, Water Bottle said:

I remember when the MCU fans freaked out when Age of Ultron dropped hard from The Avengers. 

And even then, we're talking about a 100m decrease. Not 700m+. Little different. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, GirafficPark said:

This is agree with, but Solo isnt part of this because its stand alone and in no way part of the ongoing story. The biggest problem for SW was that TFA was a terrible base to build on. All the DCEU movies over preformed their quality, imagine what they could have done if they were good?

Agreed. TFA is a terrible set up because it doesn't commit to anything. It throws ideas on the wall to see what sticks, and all is too vague and could be read this or that way. The only reasons why it's highly valued are return of OT characters and that all that vagueness allowed fandom headcanons to run amok, so they still see TFA for what they think it promised rather than what it really did (nothing due to zero commitment). Also bland af new characters with character arcs that ended in that very same movie. No wonder some characters got the repeat of the same arc in TLJ, some had no arc whatsoever, and other suffered a character transplantation for worse. I get that fans were charmed by actors but the characters themselves were poorly written. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Ledmonkey96 said:

Are we going to have to apologize for Scott Mendelson if DP's 4-day is 60mil? He called it and we laughed at the insanity of it making so little.

60m is probably the very best case scenario for 4 day with a 12m Friday. 

35 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Believe it or not I want Star Wars to succeed. I do however want them to stop living in the past with these side stories so yes Solo flopping is a good thing. It forces LF and Disney to question staying in the past and sticking with characters that we already know when it comes to Star Wars side stories. 

Hmm I think the issue is a bit different. They should treat their past with more respect. 

3 minutes ago, GirafficPark said:

Well I agree. There is no point in comparing the MCU with the Star Wars. As I said one keeps increasing with each release and the other keeps falling. Either way the set up of the movies is irrelevant no one is preventing Star Wars from branching out. If anything branching out is MORE risky since people don’t like change (see TLJ). So with that said MCUs success is even more astonishing.  

But I suppose the DCEU would be a better pararell to Star Wars - with the divise nature that has greatly affected its box office. 

6 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

In terms of worldwide gross AOU dropped only 100m from the first. Not over 700m

and I’ll bet anything Episode 9 won’t be another Infinity War

• Like 2