Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

Just now, The Futurist said:

I knew there was still good in you.

honestly spoiler adjacent but vague take:

Spoiler

the movie doing literally the most obvious thing plot wise and then spending the opening credits going "WHOA ISN'T IT CRAZY HOW WE JUST DID THAT" is everything annoying about it in a microcosm. don't tell me it's part of the goddamn joke the writers have been doing interviews and i know it's not.

12 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Because it's a much better movie, a bigger event, a movie that will be talked about for farrrr longer, and more important for representation?

These first three points are highly debatable and entirely subjective. The last point is true ofc.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

And why not follow up that report?

Hard to do, trade only make publicity for Fandango with what fandango tell them, they do not know anything about the real number (except if they would manually count them manually like us).

They accept to just publish what the distributor/online ticket sellers tell them, because they do not mind being a outlet for selling movies. It is just movies after all, nothing about any of this is real news.

The fact they went for a title saying Solo break record (with the record being the second best 2018 first 24 hours.....), tell you how click-bait and/or big ads they are.

Edited by Barnack

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

I saw BP again after IW and not gonna lie, that third act was pretty rough after IW. The battle in particular felt as anti-climatic as it can get and in order for a film to be as good as it can be, you can't have that third act miss some of the landings. I think BP does, in spite of how perfectly done the first two acts are.

IW simply offers more, and pulls all of it off. You get compelling drama, real stakes, emotional payoffs, hilarious comedy throughout, fantastic performances and chemistry between a massive ensemble, and some of the best spectacle ever. I also think IW's perfect juggling of two dozen+ characters is one of the most impressive things I've ever seen in a blockbuster. Really don't know how they pulled it off so well. And for all the hype over Killmonger, Thanos was easily the better villain of the two for me. MBJ's performance is a little better than Brolin's (though just barely since Brolin pulled off the emotional resonance he did through the barrier of all that CGI), but there's never been a CBM villain that's both and interesting character with as real and high of stakes as Thanos in IW, and I really appreciated that after dozens upon dozens of CBMs.

So in other words, I disagree BP is the better film overall, much as I like it. I also disagree it was the bigger pop culture event, though that's harder to argue obviously since it's not just my opinion. 

Man I couldn't disagree more, but that's okay. I thought the final battle in Wakanda in Infinity War is AWFUL, endless pointless noise. I felt more from Black Panther in general. 

Also forty years from now the next generations are going to talk about Black Panther the way our generation talks about A New Hope. I hope the boards are still around so I can come on here and bring out the receipts. I truly believe that. It's generational.

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

I saw BP again after IW and not gonna lie, that third act was pretty rough after IW. The battle in particular felt as anti-climatic as it can get and in order for a film to be as good as it can be, you can't have that third act miss some of the landings. I think BP does, in spite of how perfectly done the first two acts are.

IW simply offers more, and pulls all of it off. You get compelling drama, real stakes, emotional payoffs, hilarious comedy throughout, fantastic performances and chemistry between a massive ensemble, and some of the best spectacle ever. I also think IW's perfect juggling of two dozen+ characters is one of the most impressive things I've ever seen in a blockbuster. Really don't know how they pulled it off so well. And for all the hype over Killmonger, Thanos was easily the better villain of the two for me. MBJ's performance is a little better than Brolin's (though just barely since Brolin pulled off the emotional resonance he did through the barrier of all that CGI), but there's never been a CBM villain that's both and interesting character with as real and high of stakes as Thanos in IW, and I really appreciated that after dozens upon dozens of CBMs.

So in other words, I disagree BP is the better film overall, much as I like it. I also disagree it was the bigger pop culture event, though that's harder to argue obviously since it's not just my opinion. 

Good post. I agree completely. I liked Black Panther but I LOVED Infinity War and thought it was the better movie, easily.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Black Panther > Deadpool 2 > Infinity War > > Solo >>>>>> Ready Player One

The definitive blockbuster rankings of 2018

Black Panther is not as good as IW. It's overrated mainly because the message isn't as deep as it wants you to think it is. Probably because of the weak story, but still it gave us a solid set of characters, black representation and a good try. Much more than I can say for the joke that is Wonder Woman. 

Won't see Solo, but a movie like RPO that takes chances, even if it doesn't pull it off, is helluva lot better than some half-baked nostalgia trip.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

Also forty years from now the next generations are going to talk about Black Panther the way our generation talks about A New Hope. I hope the boards are still around so I can come on here and bring out the receipts. I truly believe that. It's generational.

They'll talk about it, but it'll be in the context of the larger MCU. Anyone who remembers Black Panther will also remember IW.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Idk I feel like everyone alive asked that same question a year ago

And JK was just like "Yknow what, folks. Fuck off"

It's so bizarre. There's nothing bad that could have come from dropping him, and nothing good that comes from keeping him. So inexplicable. And JK did not handle it well at all.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Deadpool 1 is really quite bad. Deadpool 2 is shockingly good. So of course this is being reflected in their respective legs :Venom:

they're both like 2 star movies.

imagine living in a world where a funny actor was playing deadpool though.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I'm not gonna say TLJ had no effect - probably did- but when Jurassic World 2 drops 500m worldwide this summer I hope those same people say that JW is divisive. Sometimes it is just hard to recapture the lightning in the bottle of a once in a lifetime perfect storm megahit like TFA or Jurassic World. Isn't necessarily a reflection of quality.

Just like Fast And Furious and Marvel. Asian and Latin American audiences look to eat Jurassic Park

up. It’s going to be hard for it to drop that much worldwide 

• Like 1

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

they're both like 2 star movies.

imagine living in a world where a funny actor was playing deadpool though.

Yea Ryan Reynolds is highly punchable. Should have cast Joaquin, he is great in those kind of roles.

Mike Myers would have been a great Deadpool, what's he up to? Deadpool is pretty much like a much less funny Austin Powers for the superhero set.

• ...wtf 1

AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR 

BLACK PANTHER 

SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY 

READY PLAYER ONE

DEADPOOL 2

My rankings of the blockbusters so far this year. I was going to put Solo over BP but I figure I'll wait a bit because I'm fresh off seeing Solo and had a ton of fun with it so I may not be completely objective yet.

DP2 wasn't bad. Just didn't do much for me.

I enjoyed RPO a lot more than I thought I would.

Edited by JB33
  • Like 1

Just now, John Marston said:

Just like Fast And Furious and Marvel. Asian and Latin American audiences look to eat Jurassic Park

Maybe. I really don't know much about foreign box office, lol, so it could very well increase worldwide for all I know. But domestic is the context I care about, and it is dropping 250m there.

My DEFINITIVE 2018 rankings:

Great:

1. Unsane

2. A Quiet Place

3. Avengers: Infinity War

4. Black Panther

5. Blockers

Very good:

6. Love, Simon

Good but pretty unmemorable/heavily flawed:

7. Isle of Dogs

8. Annihilation

9. Game Night

They exist and aren't boring, I guess:

10. Deadpool 2

11. The Commuter

EHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH:

12. Rampage

13. Red Sparrow

14. Ready Player One

Bad:

15. Breaking In

• Like 3

Just now, John Marston said:

Yea I think the drop is gonna be kinda huge DOM but OS is gonna be monstrous so WW total will be stable

This is an Ultron not a Last Jedi

imagine a young 90s jim carrey as deadpool. imagine the mass suicides that would cause in every cinema across the globe (and i like jim carrey, grew up loving him, but oh man that would be T O O  M U C H)

• Like 3